Sign in to follow this  
BigPoppa

Considering buying this..

Haha, so long as it's not $20 of gas to get from home to the gas station,

You'd be surprised :mellow:

• Like 1

Yep, you can burn $20 pretty quickly with a lead foot and sport mode.

The owner's got a picture showing some of the OBC stuff. Shows an average of 12.1l/100k - is this similar/better/worse than what you guys get?

My forrie gets worse than this! Hahah.

That's pretty good. Mine does between 10-12L/100 on a long drive and 16-20 on short trips around town. I'm averaging 15.2L/100 since I bought the car in March but that's with an average speed of 26.2km/h so gives you an idea of what kind of driving I've had to do to achieve those sh*tty figures!!

• Like 1

The owner's got a picture showing some of the OBC stuff. Shows an average of 12.1l/100k - is this similar/better/worse than what you guys get?

My forrie gets worse than this! Hahah.

The forester has shorter gearing? Full-time AWD and a turbo...

Numbers from the 540i OBC I had were roughly 13km/l driving from Dunedin to Christchurch and around Christchurch I got around 6.2 - 7km/l but that is if I do have the odd take off full throttle off the lights once in a while :D

You' d be even more surprised with the forester ;) From experience they are generally the same if not a tab bit worse on petrol (mine is 2.0 auto as well btw).

I'm getting 600kms ish to a full tank of 55-60L of fuel which puts it at roughly 10km/L or 10L/100km :) straight 6 ftw

• Like 1

Kill me for saying this but I think I would choose a nice msport 530i over a 540i.. Good balance of power and economy those m54b30 engines but then again I'm biased towards my m54 hehe :)

But at the end of the day it's about what comes up that's good value for money. A 540i at a good price shouldn't be let up for sure

Fair call, I prefer the 530i myself as did the motoring journalists when new, they actually ratted the six cylinder E39 as a better drive due to its superior rack and pinion steering and use of alloy in the suspension, steering system and sub frame, the six cylinder has a sharper turn in and better feel.

The V8's feel very boaty by comparison.

Me too... The sound of the 6 is awesome too, and they're happier to rev, and rev higher.

Still have to be manual though ;)

The 6 is ok, its just the 8 is better............and ya can make most things sound LOTS better with a bit of work - imagine how sweet the mother-in-law would sound if she were in a batts-lined wheelie bin...........

BTW - That 540i - I reckon its at least $1500 over-priced.........

Fair call, I prefer the 530i myself as did the motoring journalists when new, they actually ratted the six cylinder E39 as a better drive due to its superior rack and pinion steering and use of alloy in the suspension, steering system and sub frame, the six cylinder has a sharper turn in and better feel.

The V8's feel very boaty by comparison.

This argument has merit, but IMO only when you're driving at 8/10ths plus, in terms of driver skill & vehicle capacity........... :rolleyes:;):)

I wouldn't exactly call a V8 BMW 'boaty'............!!!!!!!!!!!??????????? By any stretch of the imagination!!!

Haha, so long as it's not $20 of gas to get from home to the gas station, I'm not too fussed. My Forrie is shocking on the open road, n my understanding is the 540's are probably fairly similar round town, but better on the open road than the Forrie. Pretty open minded about most things - something about that 540 has kind of clicked though. I'm still keepin' eyes open :)

You boys from Apiti are open-minded bout lots of things apparently............... :rolleyes:

If you want economy - buy a Prius or a pushbike. reality is the arabs are pumping the $hit outa the ground for a reason, so ya might as well use it I reckon. 2-->3 litres / 100k difference is not even a snack at M'cD's or 'Chucky Ducky' anyway, so hardly worth wanting councilling or a group hug over it...........fuel vapour makes nice exhaust sounds. :D And the more you're using, the BETTER it soundz!!!!!

seeing as one can have a 540i for less than 10k (sometimes much less) it seems that this silver one is way overpriced in the current market, even if it is a tidy example. only fanatics will be willing to pay a huge premium on such a car for all the work thats done on it, but then where is the joy in that when you can get one a bit (a lot) cheaper, then spend your time and money and blood and sweat into doing the work yourself. (julian/jeffbebe comes to mind with his 540i :))

Theres gotta be a changeover period on the E39 540's - model update or something?? Somewhere around 2000 maybe?? Facelift, & then got VANOS valvetrain etc?? Early E39s, 1996-2000 are thus 'cheaper' for a reason.......personally I think this silver car is sweeeeeeeeeeeet!!!

Theres gotta be a changeover period on the E39 540's - model update or something?? Somewhere around 2000 maybe??

Well, I may be wrong but as far as I know there was a slight change between the 1997 and the LATE (After Sept.) 1998 models. ASC become DSC. Single VANOS became Double VANOS. So that is a small update? Also there wasn't any "M-Sport" E39s until about 2000 only cars offered with a "Sports package (Steering wheel, seats, suspension, etc)

I think the biggest "update" was in 2001 when they all came with the angel eyes headlights. Same year as 530i replacing the 528i. Another thing that changed was the tiptronic was pushed up to downshit and pulled down to upshift. Of course BMW offered the M-sport package with the nicer sportier bodykits.

That's all I can think off anyway. :wacko:

• Like 1

Looks like the seller has someone looking at the car tonight. If they don't snatch it up, he's going to take it to Ray to get everything checked out for me. Here's hoping the other fellow is just a tyre kicker.

I wouldn't exactly call a V8 BMW 'boaty'............!!!!!!!!!!!??????????? By any stretch of the imagination!!!

It does if you normally drive a Renault Megane RS, eh, Graham?

Looks like the seller has someone looking at the car tonight. If they don't snatch it up, he's going to take it to Ray to get everything checked out for me. Here's hoping the other fellow is just a tyre kicker.

Fingers crossed for ya - you've obviously been doing some work on getting it, good on ya......... :)

This thing here------------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ sounds like a semi-expensive dessert you're maybe get offered off a menu while out for dinner, so with Google being everyone's friend, had a look - 'differant', springs to mind.

It was not an argument, more an opinion.

The Six Cylinder E39's steer more like a E46, the eight cylinders feel more like the older E34, its just personal preference. The recirculating ball type steering in the V8's is not bad, the M5 uses it after all, albeit with a faster ratio.

:)

And yea, most cars feel a bit slow to react after driving my cars, but most people comment that Cup chassis Renault's are too stiff and performance focused so once again, its preference and you cant please everyone.

This thing here------------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ sounds like a semi-expensive dessert you're maybe get offered off a menu while out for dinner, so with Google being everyone's friend, had a look - 'differant', springs to mind.

Easy tiger, don't go looking up cars on the internet, too much discovery in one year can dangerous, you have only just discovered 1990's BMW's so maybe keep your focus on that for a while and then go crazy.

• Like 1

Easy tiger, don't go looking up cars on the internet, too much discovery in one year can dangerous, you have only just discovered 1990's BMW's so maybe keep your focus on that for a while and then go crazy.

Cracking up bigtime @ that - bloody funny........... :D Gooooood $hit though, I'd heard that Renault owners need a great S.O.H...................... ;):)

Apparently the seller has someone very interested and will confirm by Friday. If the other person doesn't pick it up, I've spoken to Ray (what a legend, extremely good pricing compared to what the seller had quoted to him and quite clearly knows his sh!t!) who's happy to take a look at it for me early next week.

Fingers crossed this other guy doesn't buy it - in which case it's likely I'll be picking it up next weekend. If no go.. then I'll keep looking! Kyu's 330 looks promising, but there's a few things I'd need to follow up with him on if I were to go that way (Kyu - don't want to hassle you or waste your time, so I havent gotten back to you re; that email. I'll definitely keep in touch if things here don't work out and you're still looking to sell :) ).

Thanks everyone for their help so far - this forum has been nothing but friendly and contains a wealth of knowledge and fantastic people. Things are looking good - here's hoping I'm a happy BMW owner again in 2 weeks time.

Edited by BigPoppa
  • Like 2

No worries. I understand it's not easy to buy a car without seeing it so just let me know how I can help! Good luck with the 540i tho! Looks like a good one bar the price haha