Sign in to follow this  
Beeker2

E36 M3 Targa Car Build

Custom Cages FIA cage arrives into NZ this week. Yipee..

Airbag wheel, ECU and harness out. Steering wheel boss on, removable lifeline hub on, temp wheel in place (will probably need to go non dish but will wait until seat is in for that decision). Note: Don't like the boss that Palmside sold me (looks cheaply made), so will be ordering a deformable OMP one next week.

Accelerator pedal recoil spring replaced.

More tar sound insulation found and removed.

Final strip complete with space cleared for fabricator to push bars to struts.

C5066019-E30C-467E-82AA-7615FE4A826A_zps

415B28B4-D904-4E98-B243-40EE99351608_zps

577333B2-A76F-4DA7-B49F-43547C9562F9_zps

Edited by Beeker2

Bit the bullet and ordered a Supersprint race Exhaust. Full de-cat.

Will add a small amount of power, give it a good sound, and importantly reduce some weight from the car.

Slightly concerned about the reported flat spots, but then again that's in the low RPM where we wont spend allot of time.

I'm also somewhat confident that it can be tuned out, especially once you go de-maf and Alpha N which is a longer term plan.

29489.jpg

29491.jpg

Loving the build.

Why are you wanting to go alpha N? Is it getting a big cam? personally I only use it when it's a last resort.

What ecu are you using?

Loving the build.

Why are you wanting to go alpha N? Is it getting a big cam? personally I only use it when it's a last resort.

What ecu are you using?

Phase 1 - Now. chip only.

Phase 2 - Later. Carbon Plenum (with de-maf), Cams, Alpha-N map.

Alpha only only because you get a few more HP with the MAF removal.

Or at least thats the current thinking.

Have you fit the chip yet? Keen to see if it actually does anything (and what the gains are if it does)

keen to see the cage build

Have you fit the chip yet? Keen to see if it actually does anything (and what the gains are if it does)

Not yet. I have done the pre Dyno, but not the install and post dyno check.

Been busy, so squeezing things in.

BMW OEM X Brace installed.

Radiator fluid changed

Read race pads installed

My early M3 didn't have the factory installed 'Rivet-Nuts' prep for the X Brace.

I assume that the BMW Rivetnuts are not hi tensile or alike, as i used standard Rivittec steel M8's.

This article tended to support that idea: http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/suspension/e36_rons_xbrace_install.html

The standard install uses 2 per side, but as there was a spare hole i installed 3 per side.

I did use BMW supplied hi tensile bolts thou.

The x brace stiffens the front, provides additional sump protection, and is probably gonna be a good place to secure the back of the custom heavy duty sump guard plate.

60F9DE56-1B90-42A3-ACDC-E9069CFB9A44_zps

Two rivet-nuts installed per side. I later installed a third.

I might put a spot of weld on each rivetnut edge if i get the chance.

80190012-8EF9-485D-BE82-B24A67F4BB2C_zps

Rivetnut gun, a handy tool for in the field repairs.

A0CF4C8D-6EFB-4819-BED6-0ED78CFFC3C8_zps

Edited by Beeker2

You mentioned a pre dyno. What did your numbers come out at? I'm thinking of getting mine dyno'd and tuned.

You mentioned a pre dyno. What did your numbers come out at? I'm thinking of getting mine dyno'd and tuned.

See page 3 of this post for the details, but 172.5 wkw (completely stock).

I'm expecting a slight lift once i refresh the Vanos, then additional lifts with chip etc.

• Like 1

I have a powder coated front subframe with nutserts if you ever need it.

Since it's a Targa car I recommend you also keep the factory bar and relocate it rearward as per the convertible M3. I have a thread on here about that somewhere.

Edit: mounting points already exist for this about 80mm towards the rear.

I've seen a post where they relocated the existing bar rearward when installing the X brace, but is it really needed?

RE Subframe. Is the M3 different to the std coupe subframe?

Will be interested in your observations. I'm happy with it. Car takes a little longer to warm up but runs about 5 degrees cooler when pushed hard.

In my mind if BMW recommend it, and Kayne Barrie recommend it, its a pretty solid starting point.

Changed the plugs tonight. To my surprise it had 5x Bosh RO 985 (correct BMW spec) and 1x RO 788!

They look similar to the eye, but who knows on heat range etc.

54170525-4DDD-4340-B5E3-FAA8E171E9A8_zps

Mini update

Fitted new Fuel filter

E6402E46-C623-4F73-A54A-010B76AAFE1A_zps

Replaced this perished (after market) fuel line and incorrect fuel line clamps

Notice how the std (non fuel line clamps) have eaten into the rubber

00CD7AB8-011E-47E6-AA53-65A8B0365964_zps

Joined the pad wear sensor wires and reinstalled as the AP kit doesnt support this and i wanted dash error light gone and the rear pad sensor working. Might do a v2 later and concern it all within the plastic housing.

FB9FD74B-EC76-462A-BE73-7502CBBED0B9_zps

8C96120A-618C-405B-AA74-66C3003B4D27_zps

Random photo, but this shows how fat the 32mm rotors are as well as the extra meaty pads

F1196050-A445-4F56-97B8-D3E4DDB161C8_zps

Cars coming together well!! Can't wait to see it finished.

Beeker

My old car.......what have you done (Just kidding!!)

Long story short, I bought it with 71000 km on it Nov 2002 and sold it last year after being pestered to sell it. I gave in, and 2 months later I see it for sale again, so not sure what happened there! But it was time for me to sell, though, for some reason while I loved driving it, I always seemed like I wanted to sell it. Can't have tried to hard I guess, given how long I owned it.....

Was not my daily driver, (that was a pushbike!) and was mostly weekends, fun, second car, out of town type use.

Had a few niggly issues over the years. The most major was keeping it from pumping fuel over board somewhere around the engine bay. Hence the fuel clips etc being changed.

Aircon never worked, dash had to come out to repair something as it leaked badly. Don't suppose it matters now, but you do have the dash out!

ABS light used to come on, but that will be a dodgy sensor somewhere.

Fitted a new link from the bottom of the steering column to rack as the bush had flogged.

New front discs were fitted 2-3 years ago, but probably did 10,000km or less.

In the time I owned it, I always ran it on Motul fully synthetic - mostly 4100 Turbo Light 10w40 I think it was on recommendation from the importer. (I use lots of Motul in my motorcycles too).

Plus were fitted by my brother in law (has a car workshop) and they cam direct from BM, so not sure what that was about !

I peeled 8 Goodyears F1's on it in the time I had it. The Mich Pilot 3's were toast when I got it. One left in the boot.

My stated aim in life every time I drove it, was red line or sideways....

Never crashed in the time I had it....

My brother who lives o/seas drove it, scared me, him and promptly bought an E46!

Use it, abuse it and have fun. Drop me a PM with any questions.

Al

Beeker

My old car.......what have you done (Just kidding!!)

Long story short, I bought it with 71000 km on it Nov 2002 and sold it last year after being pestered to sell it. I gave in, and 2 months later I see it for sale again, so not sure what happened there! But it was time for me to sell, though, for some reason while I loved driving it, I always seemed like I wanted to sell it. Can't have tried to hard I guess, given how long I owned it.....

Was not my daily driver, (that was a pushbike!) and was mostly weekends, fun, second car, out of town type use.

Had a few niggly issues over the years. The most major was keeping it from pumping fuel over board somewhere around the engine bay. Hence the fuel clips etc being changed.

Aircon never worked, dash had to come out to repair something as it leaked badly. Don't suppose it matters now, but you do have the dash out!

ABS light used to come on, but that will be a dodgy sensor somewhere.

Fitted a new link from the bottom of the steering column to rack as the bush had flogged.

New front discs were fitted 2-3 years ago, but probably did 10,000km or less.

In the time I owned it, I always ran it on Motul fully synthetic - mostly 4100 Turbo Light 10w40 I think it was on recommendation from the importer. (I use lots of Motul in my motorcycles too).

Plus were fitted by my brother in law (has a car workshop) and they cam direct from BM, so not sure what that was about !

I peeled 8 Goodyears F1's on it in the time I had it. The Mich Pilot 3's were toast when I got it. One left in the boot.

My stated aim in life every time I drove it, was red line or sideways....

Never crashed in the time I had it....

My brother who lives o/seas drove it, scared me, him and promptly bought an E46!

Use it, abuse it and have fun. Drop me a PM with any questions.

Al

thanks have PM'ed you.

I'm a perfectionist who likes doing thing right (sensible level), so it should be a good example once finished.

As for my driving skills, that's another story!

PS. If you thought you had sideways action before, you should try it with a 3.91, single mass flywheel, twin plate and ramped up LSD.

Edited by Beeker2

Since youre using big brakes now, wouldnt want to sell the anti rattle clip from one of your front brakes?

Since youre using big brakes now, wouldnt want to sell the anti rattle clip from one of your front brakes?

At the moment i'm keeping the front brakes as full race spares.

I would be very interested to see it when finished!!! Are you in CH-CH? So far you have done an amazing job!