Hey

im pretty new to the whole adjustable suspension scene. I am looking at buying some bc gold adjustable suspension for my 328i e36,

iv read a heap of forums about them but cant find anything about using them in a daily driven car. I know they will be a whole lot more stiff and will handle a lot better, but im just wanting to know if anyone knows how they are in a daily driver with the right setup, so if anyone can help it would be awesome.

What is your purpose for going to coilovers? To get super low or to have a decent set up that can be used track and street?

I have BC BR Gold's in my e36 328i coupe. The ride is ok, quite firm over bumps but I don't mind it too much. Definitely handles better than my old factory setup for sure. If you live in an area without smooth roads I probably wouldn't recommend it and if the only reason you want them is to go low you're probably barking up the wrong tree - having independant rear suspension means the rears won't go super low (well I guess it depends what you classify as low) unless you get a different rear spring rate setup to the most common 6kg front/8kg rear combo. I currently have mine set at the lowest setting in the rear, with the spacers taken out and the plastic inserts that come with them inserted (I personally think it's too low and will be raising it when I get some spacers). The front has ridiculous height adjustment so you're covered there no matter what height you're after

Some pics of mine at the moment with rears rears wound right down:

2014-03-30172357_zpsc402d263.jpg

2014-06-02170915_zps7f23d7cb.jpg

Edited by Jpclarke89

Wait, what... is your name really Cheyne? If so you are the only other male Cheyne that I've seen.

• Like 1

yo dude, I got XYZs from Speedfactor, Ride mint, and go low as

This is the rear on lowest with rings in
2nr3rk2.jpg

This is front lowest with rings in
20qhova.jpg

I have BC BR Gold's in my e36 328i coupe. The ride is ok, quite firm over bumps but I don't mind it too much. Definitely handles better than my old factory setup for sure. If you live in an area without smooth roads I probably wouldn't recommend it and if the only reason you want them is to go low you're probably barking up the wrong tree - having independant rear suspension means the rears won't go super low (well I guess it depends what you classify as low) unless you get a different rear spring rate setup to the most common 6kg front/8kg rear combo. I currently have mine set at the lowest setting in the rear, with the spacers taken out and the plastic inserts that come with them inserted (I personally think it's too low and will be raising it when I get some spacers). The front has ridiculous height adjustment so you're covered there no matter what height you're after

Some pics of mine at the moment with rears rears wound right down:

2014-03-30172357_zpsc402d263.jpg

2014-06-02170915_zps7f23d7cb.jpg

that is beautiful verry agresive for a road car

• Like 1

so the simplistic  and subjective comments abounding above are meaningless.

Have you ever considered that not everybody wants an over complicated answer about their car's components and wants something in lamens terms that everybody understands? Not everyone has such biased views like you, so calling other people's comments simplistic, subjective, and meaningless isn't really appropriate

• Like 3

Have you ever considered that not everybody wants an over complicated answer about their car's components and wants something in lamens terms that everybody understands? Not everyone has such biased views like you, so calling other people's comments simplistic, subjective, and meaningless isn't really appropriate

+1

• Like 1

The problem is a cars dynamics are overly complicated, adjusting ride height effects more than just the look. I would hardly call it biased in this case.

I managed to tune my suspension to work perfectly on the race track, creating a compedative track car. The down side is when I drive on back roads im at a disadvantage because of my linear springs and spring rates. Its great on smooth roads though :) I learnt this the hard way. As much as Ron can be a pain in the ass the way he puts his point across, he is right.

There are members on this site who just want to lower there car, there are members who want to do it right and members who dont care. People with a lot of real world experience on this site especially on the suspension topic arent to common. They like every one at some point probably get a little cynical when offering advice.

The problem is a cars dynamics are overly complicated, adjusting ride height effects more than just the look. I would hardly call it biased in this case.

I managed to tune my suspension to work perfectly on the race track, creating a compedative track car. The down side is when I drive on back roads im at a disadvantage because of my linear springs and spring rates. Its great on smooth roads though :) I learnt this the hard way. As much as Ron can be a pain in the ass the way he puts his point across, he is right.

There are members on this site who just want to lower there car, there are members who want to do it right and members who dont care. People with a lot of real world experience on this site especially on the suspension topic arent to common. They like every one at some point probably get a little cynical when offering advice.

I do realise this and agree 100% with you on this. I'm not in any way saying a more knowledgeable explanation of the suspension components is not required, because it is. I was more getting at the fact that just because everyone on here doesn't have that kind of knowledge, it doesn't make it okay to criticize other members' input into this thread to the extend of Ron's comment, although I do appreciate his knowledge. I'm here to have friendly conversations and learn things not get put down for comments I make :)
  • Like 1

The simple reality is the comments are SIMPLISTIC and SUBJECTIVE and as a consequence largely meaningless.

Joe - my car does 100k, Fred - my car does 150k, Harry my car does 300 k

WOW!!! Harry's car is the fastest! --- really were they all talking about speed - we don't know, some context is useful / essential?

Ironic that you have the " ignoring idiots with small minds" strap line on your user considering you appear to be supporting stupidity and ignorance plus bagging the suggestion of informed debate in this thread?

like you i have an opinion and without being offensive a silent "like" +1 is suffice for me thus ill sit back and watch the cheap entertainment :) ignoring idiots seems quit appropriate

Edited by crunchy