Sign in to follow this  
gjm

E32 735i vs E34 535i

Same engine, different size car. Assuming predominantly highway driving, and not looking for overly sporty handling, is there all that much to choose between the two? The 5-series seems to be the much more popular car...

I've debated (with myself) the I6 vs V8 argument, but keep coming down on the side of the 6-cylinder engine.

I really quite like the E38 too (just call me Transporter) but they seem to be a fairly rare beast over here.

Just thinking out loud at the moment.

Loads of Cheap E38 728i's about, but they can barely out accelerate a push bike, ok maybe thats a bit harsh.

Just buy the one you like, the older 735i and 535i are quite similar parts wise.

The E32 feels like a bigger\heavier E34, you do notice it but it isnt a huge difference.

The E32 is has a good amount of rear leg room where is the E34 is a bit cramped, only matters if you sitting in the back though. 735i's are usually sell for less than 535i and not many E32 V8's around compared to E34 and E38 V8's. The 8 cyl is better until you have to work on it.

For highway driving id pick either, whatever example comes up first that is the best condition\price.

I was coming to the conclusion that for family comfortable motoring, there is little to choose (other than rear legroom). It just seems odd that the 5-series seems so much more popular.

The E38 728i isn't a bad car, and on a run is actually quite economical. Good ones are more pricey - a E32 735i goes for $5-6k, an E38 728i is about 50% more - but that could simply be due to them being newer. Or just that I've not seen enough examples to get accurate figures. There's a 728iM (quoted as an M, but I thought those models had different seats) for sale in Hamilton for $9k, but it's been on TradeMe for 3.5 months.

Working on the V8 was the only real concern I had about them.

Edited by gjm

More popular because the E34 looks better than E32 to most and its a lighter\smaller so improved performance as well as alot more manual transmission models etc.

E32 735i are worth nothing these days, seen quite a few good examples around 3-4k, wouldn't pay more than that myself unless maybe it was a mint manual one.

You can find good M60 and M62 740i's in 5-6k region, if the hard works been done on them then its not a problem and they get decent highway economy.

• Like 1

E32 are nice enough, but E34 is the pick. a bit smaller and lighter, parts a lot more common, and 525i/528i share engines with 3 series so plenty of after market options around etc.

E38 is a good looking car though!

the trouble with all 7s no matter the age, they all have issues. even a few years old etc. yes you can live without the automatic rear headrests working or the independant climate control etc etc, but then why buy a 7 in the first place, may as well get a Commodore.

----

Jared - Are the M60s really that much harder to work on than an M50/M52, putting size aside? I have never worked or owned a BMW V8

I owned a 1993 e32 740iL for 6/7 seven years and absolutely loved it. So much so that I bought a 2001 e38 740i Sport which I have had for a few years now and also absolutely love. Despite all the concerns that people often raised about being expensive to repair, etc., I never had any real troubles. I spent some money on the e32, but nothing too expensive. The only real problem was the after-market wheels that the previous owner had put on that caused the dreaded 55mp/h shimmy—due to not centring properly on the hubs.

I loved the size of the 7 series over the 5 series, especially with 3 kids, and I personally think that the e32/e38 are wonderfully proportioned. The other great thing about the 7 series is that they offer great bang-for-the-buck compared to the 5 series. The V8s are fantastic and driving the e38 always puts a smile on my face.

Just my 2c worth.

E38\E39's are more complex and have more issues than E32\E34 which are generally pretty basic. I do like the E38 looks over the E32 but the E38 quality is a bit of a let down. Headgaskets are really the only main problem ive had with 6 cyl E34\E32's but they easy and cheap to replace.

Andy: Does depend on what you are doing but being a big motor its mainly more time consuming having to take off twice as much or more for better access. One of the reasons i like the M30, very easy to work on with everything exposed and plenty of room in E34\E32 engine bay.