Sign in to follow this  
MISS BM

Head unit Cutting Out...

So in my Schnitzer I have a Dynavin Clone head unit - Which has been all fine and well until yesterday.

I drove my car as per usual. And on the way back from work, it cuts out dead. No sound, lights, etc. I remember the M3 did something similar, so I figured I would sort the issue like I did on the M3 and pull fuse 7 and 41 under the glove box.. Waalaa, it worked. I drove it into the city again last night, and during that trip it would cut out, but then I could always turn back on. I also noticed when I restarted the car, the headunit was off and I had to physically turn it back on, and set it back to the audio settings I had originally.

That was fine, until this morning. Plug in phone to play some music, 30 seconds after starting the car. Gone.

Pulled the Fuses again in an attempt to 'reset' and nothing this time around. However on turning the car off, I can still hear the fan turning happily away as if nothing was wrong (Fan in Headunit)

Are there any such electrical guru's that could lead me to the next best point of test and solution. The headunit is not even a year old, so I feel I can't really blame it.

I should note, this started after I killed my angel eyes. Went to plug in a new set, but they didn't agree with the DME, so went to plug back in my old set, and they didn't work. Instead my indicator came on constant, and I couldn't turn it off without resetting the battery. Didn't cross any wires with the old set of angel eyes, so not sure what happened essentially, but they just don't work at all now.

Ended up having to pull the battery, and stick a park light back in (instead of angel eyes) to make sure my indicator light didn't stay on constant.

Idk, but there some electrical bugs going on in this car.

May note, while typing this in the car before work, my fan is still happily spinning in the headunit -.-

Interesting.

Do you suspect it happens with vibrations when the car moves etc? As that would point to wiring issues, possibly in behind the unit or fuse / power distribution box.

If it just happens randomly, I suspect it could be internal issues with the unit itself.... is it a stock item that came with the car? If so electronics do tend to wear out so you could have an issue of dry tracks / leaking Capacitors.

I would be inclined to remove the unit, hook up a multimeter on the power feeds and see they hold at the correct voltages without cutting off. If that is the case it would be an internal head unit issue.

• Like 2

Interesting.

Do you suspect it happens with vibrations when the car moves etc? As that would point to wiring issues, possibly in behind the unit or fuse / power distribution box.

If it just happens randomly, I suspect it could be internal issues with the unit itself.... is it a stock item that came with the car? If so electronics do tend to wear out so you could have an issue of dry tracks / leaking Capacitors.

I would be inclined to remove the unit, hook up a multimeter on the power feeds and see they hold at the correct voltages without cutting off. If that is the case it would be an internal head unit issue.

I installed the unit about 6 months agoish. Was New.

Just seems to happen periodically, but the first couple of times was when the music got a bit loud..

Shall find tester and test tonight.. Oh sh*t I can't it will be at 4 and Rotary's. Damn.

Yeah, I will pull it all out eventually and test it. It just seems randomly odd.

• Like 1

It sounds to me like a power supply fault or a grounding fault in the problem is periodic. I had similar things happen. Clean all your connectors and connections with contact cleaner and even lightly blow out the cooling fins on your head unit itself incase of dust particles somehow getting inside it. What a bugger!!

When it plays up check that you have or don't have systems voltage at the violet wire on the ignition switch. Failing switches are quite common