Sign in to follow this  
WYZEUP

F/L E30 318i coupe

Spent the day in auckland yesterday pillaging parts from a e39 540. came home with a oil filter remote setup, power steering pump and lines, battery relocation kit. wanted the driveshaft but some bugger had rounded the bolts off on the diff so had to leave it :/

Stopped in and had a chat with brent at BMworld and picked up a new wiring loom and needed rocker cover.

And a big shout out to the boys at SD European, stopped by for a chat and left with a nice 2.93 med case diff from a e28 and a e30 rear cover for a bargain price.

Home for a clean up with a wire wheel and a quick spray to get it looking nice. A new revshift diff bush and the diff spacers and studs and already to go in when my axles turn up.

Things are moving along nicely now. rear end almost all back together finally.

IMG_2892_zps5lsr9pzm.jpg

IMG_2890_zpsb3fuccxr.jpg

• Like 3

i have used subframe spacer bushes to raise the subframe so to keep the diff and driveshaft aligned need to add the spacers to keep it all nice

Those diff studs should make diff swaps nice and quick!

i have used subframe spacer bushes to raise the subframe so to keep the diff and driveshaft aligned need to add the spacers to keep it all nice

Thought that might of been the case. It just puts your CV joints in your axles on a dumb angle.

Lowering your car makes the angle worse, moving the subframe up makes it better if you move the diff with it. But spacing the diff further down makes it even worse again.

Studs are nice idea though.

I will keep that in mind thanks for that, have axles turning up shortly, so once its in will have a play with both spacers and not spacers and see how the axles sit

Yeah check what it's like with suspension close to fully compressed as that's where it will be when you have your foot up it and the cvs will last longer the straighter you can keep them, especially with the extra torque

• Like 1

Got the rear end in last night. New bushes, diif, driveshaft, axles, stainless brake lines, new discs, shoes and pads. nice to have the rear end all in and back together finally.

Have just ordered my brake setup from the UK so another headache gone off the list. Slowly making progress on this beast have a time frame in my mind but if i'll get there we will see.

• Like 1

What are your plans for the motor?

Is it getting a rebuild?

It will be getting a strip down and thorough clean and all new seals through out. Not often do they need rebuilding these motors

Got a bit more work done over the weekend just little bits that i was putting off while waiting to sort out my brake setup with the certification guy.

Got all the wiring side of things done, e36 window switches, fitted the garagistic rpm converter, built my loom converter.

started here

IMG_2968_zpsnm6icvx4.jpg

IMG_2973_zpsgcdpdfk3.jpg

and finished :)

IMG_2974_zpsqxkjjopp.jpg

Had a play with my headlights and built some cross hairs so have full tinted headlights now

IMG_2975_zpsq2zlfxgh.jpg

IMG_2976_zps4xbldswq.jpg

Dyed the rear bench black until stage stage as i re-trim the seats, just tidy's the interior up a little bit.

IMG_2978_zpszhvsatfy.jpg

Hopefully this week will get on to installing fuel pump, running battery to boot wiring and the exhaust headers so i can remove the engine to get the final prep under way.

Hopefully will order clutch kit this week and have the driveshaft built so i have all the stuff there to get it all moving again.

• Like 1

Progress is slow at the moment as we are getting to the difficult parts of the build at the moment.

All the driveline parts have been mocked up, drive shaft is out being shortened and balanced at the moment.

Have refreshed all bushes in the shifter with delrin and added a custom built DSSR. the shifter feel now is fantastic now to add a weighted gear knob to finish the whole setup off.

Have been spending the last few weeks trying to get the new exhaust manifolds built to work around the the steering shaft and be able to have them fitted to the engine before install. Will get photos up when the extractors are completed.

Fingers crossed in the next two weeks the exhaust will be completed then i can haul the engine out for the final time to refresh everything and paint the engine bay.

Picked up some E38 wheels from francois and fitted with some more appropriate sized tyres fitted them up and pushed the car out of the shed to see how the final fitment will be, quite happy with how its sitting now.

e30bs_zps3h4gkeex.jpg

e30bs1_zpslux0baza.jpg

• Like 5

Car's coming along Jeremy!

Has been a little slow progress lately as have been working out the fiddly parts of the build plus finding the time at the moment.

Have finally finished building & installing the new manifolds (still need a slight bit of modifying)

IMG_3179_zpsr7ht8xvr.jpg

IMG_3180_zpsuhsxjqco.jpg

IMG_3181_zpsrvb5j42b.jpg

Bolted everything together gearbox, driveshaft, all suspension components to measure up all clearances and build the exhaust with out interference. So happy that the time spent measuring and checking heights that everything lined up perfectly and i dont have to go back and re-do things.

Fitted new SRS concept offset solid control arm bushes for more clearance. Very nice product.

Had another nice headache of the build turn up in the last few days, a nice DINAN lightweight dual mass flywheel. I decided to stick with the dual mass as i wasnt 100% sure on a solid flywheel and and a few people mentioned best to stick with the dual mass setup, it is also running a Sach's M5 performance clutch kit so will hold nicely but give a nice drive as well. I just need to reset the self adjusting pressure plate.

IMG_3183_zpsit7gnd01.jpg

IMG_3186_zps7nx4yhcs.jpg

And i have finally began the process of refinishing my wheels, have been stripped and sanded and cleaned and are currently at the painters. Have ordered new bolts from america and working on correct specifications/sizes of the lips to order.

IMG_3187_zpsjgmisgm4.jpg

Edited by WYZEUP
  • Like 5

Things are getting closer and closer, exhaust is almost finished, hopefully by the end of next week it will all be fully welded and ready to go, then the mock up has finished and i will be able remove the engine for its final clean down and preperation. getting a little excited.

Mean while have started work on the rebuild of my wheels, have ordered all new bolts for them (need to convert them to take m7 hardware) and then can measure up and have all new step lips made for them.

Wheels came back from the painters yesterday afternoon, came out better than i had hoped.

IMG_3222_zpsmftrz4ve.jpg

IMG_3225_zpsq68whidh.jpg

• Like 3

After what has seemed like an eternity we finally finished the exhaust! yayyyyy! all but one set of V-bands after the cross pipe.

IMG_3246_zpsqdlsrn3h.jpg

IMG_3248_zpsecnaspeo.jpg

Had a tidy up of the garage and time to prepare for stage number 2, reconditioning the engine and tidying up the engine bay / de-looming

IMG_3250_zpsgnj1ygta.jpg

IMG_3251_zpsac24xdis.jpg

Another update will come shortly.......just waiting for the last of my packages from overseas then can get stuck into the reconditioning

• Like 3

Must have missed it earlier, what're the specs on the wheels? Did you decide on lip size yet?

Garage is looking a lot cleaner than when I saw it haha

Edited by Lucan

The final spec on the wheel will be 16x9 et 24 w a 2.5" step lip. Because of the 5 stud conversion i was unable to go as big with the lips as i really wanted

Haha thanks yeah has been a big progression since you saw the shed last

Edited by WYZEUP

Almost finished the refurb on the motor just a few more seals to get and will be all back together again.

IMG_3305_zpsyntoeqnl.jpg

• Like 6

What a fantastic project.

I love how you have gone the extra mile and done things like cleaning and repainting the underbody.

That M60 looks sick! Did you clean it yourself, or did you send it out to be dipped? What is that inlet manifold?

2 hours ago, zero said:

What a fantastic project.

I love how you have gone the extra mile and done things like cleaning and repainting the underbody.

That M60 looks sick! Did you clean it yourself, or did you send it out to be dipped? What is that inlet manifold?

Lots of skinned knuckles to scrub all the dirt and stuff out from under all those covers.

Its has been many hours with a toothbrush and petrol to get it this clean, albeit some of the parts that i couldn't get 100% have been painted.

The inlet manifold has been hydrodipped by a local guy here in hamilton, very happy with how it all turned out.

I had to google hydrodipping lols.

What an amazing technology.

What did it cost to get it done?

It was $120 to have the inlet manifold dipped and cured. For the finish it was money well spent

Absolutely. :thumbs-up:

Much cheaper than I expected.