Sign in to follow this  
Breaker

Moving to Taranaki - any advice

We are moving to Taranaki for work. Looking to get somewhere between Stratford and New Plymouth. Looking for any advice on living around the area from any of you locals :)

Once we get sorted will look to see what meets we have around the place to start up.

Likely moving in Early April, BTW anybody wants an E39 or E61 check out the for sales

I have friends living in Wanganui - they love it there. We've visited a couple of times and really enjoyed it. I know a lot of people have a contrary perception, and our feelings are based on good weather and suchlike. :)

We liked Stratford and Plymouth too, Stratford particularly. Hopefully someone is intimately familiar with the area and can recommend places to live.

• Like 2

I used to go to New Plymouth for work, a bit. I really like NPL, the people are friendly, the weather's pretty good. It's a small provincial NZ town, with the attendant features. Took my family there last year for a long weekend; we liked it so much we're going back this year.

there are some reasonable restaurants there. Car culture is big, though largely centred around rods, muscle cars, street machines, Americana, and Oz iron. Mike's Organic Brewery (past Waitara) is worth a visit, the beer is pretty darned good. Gowett Brewster Gallery - though small - is outstanding. One of NZ's best record stores - The Vinyl Countdown - is in New Plymouth. it's a bit pricey to fly in and out of, and a little too far from Wellington for a quick hoon.

You've got twisty roads to drive in the country, fishing, surfing, and fresh air. brilliant!

what industry takes you to New Plymouth? Energy? Dairy? Sheep? Transport?

cheers

Olaf

I used to go to New Plymouth for work, a bit. I really like NPL, the people are friendly, the weather's pretty good. It's a small provincial NZ town, with the attendant features. Took my family there last year for a long weekend; we liked it so much we're going back this year.

there are some reasonable restaurants there. Car culture is big, though largely centred around rods, muscle cars, street machines, Americana, and Oz iron. Mike's Organic Brewery (past Waitara) is worth a visit, the beer is pretty darned good. Gowett Brewster Gallery - though small - is outstanding. One of NZ's best record stores - The Vinyl Countdown - is in New Plymouth. it's a bit pricey to fly in and out of, and a little too far from Wellington for a quick hoon.

You've got twisty roads to drive in the country, fishing, surfing, and fresh air. brilliant!

what industry takes you to New Plymouth? Energy? Dairy? Sheep? Transport?

cheers

Olaf

Cheers Olaf, Dairy makes the move. Fonterra Regional Distribution Manager so I've got sites all over the lower north island to cover, figured NPL would be a good base, sounds like it. Always up for a trip further south for a few meets as well.

Appreciate the feedback :)

congratulations on the move!

people seem to drive Ford Falcons or Holden Commodores. If they're a little odd, they'll drive Citroen or Saab. It's interesting, Citroen has a long standing in Taranaki (pronounced Tarr-ann-uh-kai) ;)

Olaf

• Like 1

I have friends living in Wanganui - they love it there. We've visited a couple of times and really enjoyed it. I know a lot of people have a contrary perception, and our feelings are based on good weather and suchlike. :)

We liked Stratford and Plymouth too, Stratford particularly. Hopefully someone is intimately familiar with the area and can recommend places to live.

As a Wanganui local born and bred I appreciate the comments above. I think it's a much under rated city that has the best of everything.

Brent. I think Stratford would be more central for you being between Wanganui and New Plymouth but is a bit small. New Plymouth has the mountain and some beautiful scenery, lovely parks and some great driving roads.

But then again Wanganui is central to New Plymouth and Wellington with Mt Ruapehu up the Parapara's. Nice parks, some great roads and great people..

• Like 1