Sign in to follow this  
Secniv

DIY E36 RTAB Tool

Hey guys I’m looking for some lockdown inspiration to produce a tool to remove and replace the OE rtabs on the E36. I’ve got some threaded bar, nuts & large washers. Don’t have a socket big enough to sit on bracket or bush tho.

Will end up hacking apart with drill and saws if I have to but then issue of install.

May be able to get friend to make this up for me but challenge of getting it.

AFE7D67F-A7D3-478A-8274-F09635D966B3.thumb.jpeg.736c497d089810594ba7b04301599f44.jpeg

Any ideas?

Sockets would really help, even crappy old ones. 

Also you wanna make sure the threaded rod is strong as the threads strip really easily.

You can use the metal from the first bush you push out to push out the second bush and install the new ones.

7 hours ago, zero said:

Sockets would really help, even crappy old ones. 

Also you wanna make sure the threaded rod is strong as the threads strip really easily.

You can use the metal from the first bush you push out to push out the second bush and install the new ones.

OD of bush is 60mm and largest socket I’ve got is 36. If I can get a cup and use socket may pull bush through or at least collapse rubber and cut outside ring but then I have issue with install.

Ive used copper grease to lube threads in past which seems to help.

The copper grease will only delay the thread failing. It needs to be a square thread like used in a  vice or clamp and even then greased. Are you able to mod the 2 1/4 piece to make it a cross. This would give more contact points and avoid damaging the Bush by not pressing in square. 

On 4/4/2020 at 11:02 AM, allan said:

The copper grease will only delay the thread failing. It needs to be a square thread like used in a  vice or clamp and even then greased. Are you able to mod the 2 1/4 piece to make it a cross. This would give more contact points and avoid damaging the Bush by not pressing in square. 

Have enough threaded rod to be disposable if damaged.

image.thumb.jpg.e83898ee005172940d2bb1f4f81f8080.jpg

A cross would crush rubber flanges.. hence the bmw tool or equivalent being square.

Arr I see yes a cross would screw things up the way the bush is shaped. As other have mentioned either a socket, piece of pipe or the outer case of an old bush.

3 hours ago, Secniv said:

Have enough threaded rod to be disposable if damaged.

The issue is if it strips before the bush moves any further.

In that case it wont matter how much threaded rod you have if it keeps stripping at the same point.

Use high tensile or stainless threaded rod, 12mm. Perfectly adequate 

The tool I have uses 12mm galv threaded rod and that's fine, unless you haven't aligned it correctly 

My tool is much the same as the one in the OP

I have used this tool for a few years now the flanged bushes are a problem but the non flaned versions are a piece of cake.

20200406_132200.jpg

• Like 3

6F5A1C02-366C-4BC5-8745-CC9FF7E9650F.thumb.jpeg.eb0ecc1a2d967ca440ae6f53146c151a.jpeg

Oh so close.. the black tube was just 1mm too wide to get through the arm. Started to move the bush easily until it fouled. Options now are to drill & cut the rubber section of the bush before hammering out or wait until after lockdown.

Grind the tube down 1mm.

• Like 1