Sign in to follow this  
*Glenn*

My E36 318 TI

post-1129-1160089969_thumb.jpg post-1129-1160090027_thumb.jpg post-1129-1160090003_thumb.jpgpost-1129-1160089986_thumb.jpgpost-1129-1160089969_thumb.jpg post-1129-1160089946_thumb.jpg post-1129-1160090056_thumb.jpg Just thought I would pop these back in again since the forum format has changed. Repowered with M52 2.8 Litre 5 Speed auto Running E30 3.64:1 Medium case diff with E30 325 MS axles Bilstein suspension Schnitzer mags Certified at 75mm

Edited by *Glenn*

Looks excellent.

I was wondering why the engine bay looks very crowded compared to my 318ti ... until I read you mod list.

i want one! so dam cool, its so hard to find a compact in manual, and i dont really want a 318 anyway, big ups on the swap!!

Nice.

where did you get the strut brace?

European Auto Spares in Manukau just got them in $150.00

I dont know how good they are, Ive seen stronger ones

i want one! so dam cool, its so hard to find a compact in manual, and i dont really want a 318 anyway, big ups on the swap!!

It's not manual. But it's still a very "busy" car to drive. I drive in sport mode round town and only drop into top gear over 100kph on the open road. It pulls real hard....will crank up real quick to 120kph. Thats y I went for the 3:91 diff instead of the 328 3:64. The original compact diff was 4:44

European Auto Spares in Manukau just got them in $150.00

I dont know how good they are, Ive seen stronger ones

Thats still a great price. Do you notice any differene? Any idea if they have e30 ones?

Thats still a great price. Do you notice any differene? Any idea if they have e30 ones?

Hard to say...It's quite stiff up front with the Bilstein springs and shocks. Dont know about E30 ones. Give them a ring on (09)2623752

Cheers

Hey, nice car, it's one of the nicest TIs that I've seen! The AC Type IIIs are 17x8.5" right? They suit the car very well.

Hey, nice car, it's one of the nicest TIs that I've seen! The AC Type IIIs are 17x8.5" right? They suit the car very well.

Thanx very much Yuen. Since the pictures were taken I've dropped the bum another 35mm with some new H&R springs and had the rear bilsteins shortened. Also fitted the carbon fibre CAI which is featured in another thread. Yes your right about the wheels. I'm running 225/45/17 Diresa's on them. Found these to be quite a good tyre. If anyone is interested I have the old H&R springs for sale. They were the wrong ones for the car and so were the shocks. They are for an E36 sedan or coupe and a least you can get the bilsteins modified and reset to suit. The springs will drop the bum by 40mm.I'll do some more pictures soon.

Cheers

Glenn

Hey Glenn , Nice conversion. [ it looks like it came from the factory that way]

Did you have any DME problems with your conversion? EWS? if so how did you overcome that?

I'm looking at doing the same conversion [but to my 320 coupe]

Kerry

Hey Glenn , Nice conversion. [ it looks like it came from the factory that way]

Did you have any DME problems with your conversion? EWS? if so how did you overcome that?

I'm looking at doing the same conversion [but to my 320 coupe]

Kerry

Thanx Kerry

Yes I did have to sort a few things out. Swap the chips in the keys. Swap EWS controllers. Open up the wiring harness and install the M52 engine and trans looms. Obviously I had to change both engine & trans ECU's. Was quite straight forward with a bit of thought. I still have a DME fault code that comes up (exhaust flap N/W) because it isn't fitted, but that doesn't effect anything. When you scan through the diagnostic plug, DME & EGS reads as a 328I & body systems and ABS read as a 318 TI. The M52 doesn't have ASC the TI did. I disconnected the switch and ABS is not effected. I'm running the TI ABS pump with standard TI rear discs and the 328 brakes up front. Everything works fine. Just have to get my electronics tech to sort out the rev counter( it reads higher, and you cant fit the 6 cylinder instrument cluster) I tried, but it looks good, revs to approx 9000rpm on the guage when it hits the rev limiter......lol. To do the conversion, I bought a 328I coupe that had been stolen and recovered and vandalized. Had only done 77,000km. All the mechanicals were mint and the car had the Bilstein shocks & springs in it, which I swapped over. You shouldnt have too many problems doing the same with y'r 320 coupe. Try and stick to the same year approx. Both the cars I used were 1997. Less hassle than using a E46 2.8. Later models you end up running into DME canbus problems. Everything I used on the conversion can be purchased at BMW. The only part that is not genuine is the rear muffler. Even the 328 I driveshaft fitted the TI with no modification. Differentials are different on the compacts though. I changed the TI 4:44 to an E30 3:91 the 328 was running a 3:64. A couple of mods are needed though. Fit E36 side seals, swap the half shafts in the diffs after you remove the inner oil slinger. The TI half shafts have 2...remove the inner. I also deepened the circlip groove to prevent the axles popping out with the extra horse power and the slightly negative camber I'm running on the rear. Since the pictures I've dropped the bum an extra 35mm and modified the shocks to suit.I also have fitted the Simota CAI, which I must say gives more engine response. Sounds good to. Will post some more pictures later.

Cheers

Glenn

I love this little terrier :D

I hope I'm meant to say thanks to that.

I hope I'm meant to say thanks to that.

Ooops!! Shyte!!.....I forgot to say thanks Spargo

Nice conversion,nice idea,nice car ^_^ .

You say the 328 doner ran a 3.64 diff?

According to the case in mine ,Im running a 3.07(97 328 ex auto).

Real oem told me to expect a 3.64 so Im at a loss????

Nice conversion,nice idea,nice car ^_^ .

You say the 328 doner ran a 3.64 diff?

According to the case in mine ,Im running a 3.07(97 328 ex auto).

Real oem told me to expect a 3.64 so Im at a loss????

Thanx for the nice comments

Yes the donor ran a 3:64

Every E36 328 I Auto I have come accross runs that ratio. Yours may have been changed ??

I went half way between the 4:44 & 3:64 and used the 3:91 to keep the car quick of the mark

The car will still crank up real quick to 160kph in 3rd (rev limiter kicks in around there) so it really boils down to "how fast do you really want to go"

I'm happy with that ratio. I very rarely exceed 120 kph on the open road...just quick bursts when passing slower cars

post-1129-1161802025_thumb.jpgpost-1129-1161801989_thumb.jpgNew pictures after droppin the bum down an extra 30mm and fitting the CAI

Just an update with the facelift grill panel & new kidney's

post-1129-1178478841_thumb.jpg

post-1129-1178478861_thumb.jpg

Very nice! i like this car

Awesome compact. Love the Type III's. Well done.