Sign in to follow this  
Andrew

IceLink + E36

HI -

Where did you ICELink boys get them from?

I've been hunting around and some UK website says they work for

BMW 17-pin

iceLink Plus is suitable for a wide range of BMW vehicles. The supported applications are: Mini equipped with "Wave" radio/cassette

<LI>3-series (E36) equipped with original Business CD with split LCD (note - radio/cassette is not compatible with iceLink Plus)

<LI>3-series (E46) equipped with original Business RDS/MD/CD

<LI>5-series (E39) pre 2001 model year "angel eyes" facelift vehicles without satellite navigation and no "DSP" key.

<LI>7 series (E38) without satellite navigation and no "DSP" key

<LI>Z3 (E36/7) equipped with original Business CD with split LCD (note - radio/cassette is not compatible with iceLink Plus) Connection is made via the 17 pin connector located on the back of the radio. If you have a vehicle with the 4:3 format navigation screen (E46, E39, E38), the package includes purchase details of the optional 4m extension cable that can be used to connect the iceLink to the boot-mounted tuner box on these vehicles.

That sounds like me? Yes, no, maybe?

Pic attached of stereo - sounds like "split screen" LCD to me. And I have teh CD stacker.

Cheers

post-1521-1175378634_thumb.jpg

Guest Denny Crane

Dude, when you order, let me know as I need one for my E36 Business HU, but I believe it will be a slighlty different unit to the icelink you require.

Dude, when you order, let me know as I need one for my E36 Business HU, but I believe it will be a slighlty different unit to the icelink you require.

Pics of your unit?

AFAIK we both need the 17 pin connector from the CD Stacker?

I think I have a 17pin CD changer Cable. Will have to have a look an get back to you guys. Drop me a PM to remind me tomorrow as I am about to head out for the day.

Well after a bit of hunting there is a local dealer -

http://www.dension.co.nz/

His name is Mike - just spoken to him. He is grabbing me a 17 pin unit to test in my car.

Price is 299 inc GST (cheaper than buying overseas) and he may be offer a rate to Bimmersport members.

Will report back next week.

RE compatibility with E36

Car Type Car Model Year from Year to Ice>Link Plus Gateway 300 Gateway 400 Gateway 500 BMW 3 Series, E36 1991 1998 ILPRBM1CR1 GW3RM1001 GW4RBM1001 -

Any body who is sick of your CDs / stacker and has an ipod.. I _highly_ recommend this ... been running one for about 1 year ... cant live with out it now ...

Also .. flush mount for the win .. you dont have to have it sticking outta ya dash :)

Would not recommend buying one for E36 till I actually see it working.

I'm still working with Dension + Installer to get it going.

i have bought a ice link unit and a cd 43 from a guy in the states.He has had to make up a little harness to make it compatible.I will let you know when i get it all.It wont be plug and play to fit it in my car(1990 535) but apparently it is plug and play in 92 (or so) in later cars.I beleive the ICE is a denison too

Any news on this Andrew ?

Ive just checked out the Dension website and they finally confirm the icelink for the e38 (Ive had conflicting stories from the UK) and am keen to get one.

I take it the icelink just hooks up your ipod and the gateways allow you to hook up with usb pens and video out for screens etc.

No luck yet with support Business RDS stereo. Just won't go into CD mode.

Working on it.

Would not recommend buying one for E36 till I actually see it working.

I'm still working with Dension + Installer to get it going.

That must be you he mentioned in an email to me. He told me to wait until the issues were sorted... <_<

OTOH hybrid has I assume had no problem with an E46 installation, and either type of head unit (Jap/world)?

That must be you he mentioned in an email to me. He told me to wait until the issues were sorted... <_<

OTOH hybrid has I assume had no problem with an E46 installation, and either type of head unit (Jap/world)?

been running it nearly two years now...

check my jap -> international headunit swap thread .. it has a little bit on it.

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index.php?showtopic=8152

how you going with this Andrew.Got my stereo and DICE ,went to the dealer to get an adapter for pre 91 car to accept new pin out config.They couldnt actually tell me which adapter i needed without seeing the wiring.The guy i bought the stereo from also sent an extra little harness so the DICE worked with the CD43.Have to tap three wires

how you going with this Andrew.Got my stereo and DICE ,went to the dealer to get an adapter for pre 91 car to accept new pin out config.They couldnt actually tell me which adapter i needed without seeing the wiring.The guy i bought the stereo from also sent an extra little harness so the DICE worked with the CD43.Have to tap three wires

Did it work?

I'm not going well - we are trying ANOTHER Icelink unit now.

That sounds like me? Yes, no, maybe?

Pic attached of stereo - sounds like "split screen" LCD to me. And I have teh CD stacker.

Nope, wrong radio. That radio is not ibus-capable

And you need an ibus-capable radio for the icelink

the "secret" to my (planned)upgrade is I have bought a much later model CD business stereo(bmw-blaupunkt cd43).My difficulty will be wiring that into my car,as i understand the plugs are the same but the actual pin designation has changed.It may be though that the plugs on my car are also not the same.

the "secret" to my (planned)upgrade is I have bought a much later model CD business stereo(bmw-blaupunkt cd43).My difficulty will be wiring that into my car,as i understand the plugs are the same but the actual pin designation has changed.It may be though that the plugs on my car are also not the same.

BMW stereo connections are standardised. They have been the same for over 10 years.

The wiring is identical.

If the plug is the right size, it will fit. The wiring will be correct.

The one wire you may not have existing on an old car is the ibus wire, which you will need for the interface. If that is the case, just fit a new pin & wire to the empty socket on the plug.

Jochen

BMW stereo connections are standardised. They have been the same for over 10 years.

The wiring is identical.

If the plug is the right size, it will fit. The wiring will be correct.

The one wire you may not have existing on an old car is the ibus wire, which you will need for the interface. If that is the case, just fit a new pin & wire to the empty socket on the plug.

Jochen

That may be true Jochen but mine is a 1990 model.Some people say the wiring changed around this time.

The real oem parts site suggests that there was a change 9/89.

The plugs remained the same but the pin designation changed

BMW also have wiring adapters but they dont know what i have got so cant sugget what I need

The DICE ipod adapter has all the cables(I think).I knew my existing CD changer cable would be no good

Edited by kiwi535