Sign in to follow this  
Infestus

Lowering. A few Questions.

Hey

I just have afew quick questions about lowering my 1984 318i E30.

1) First off, is it ok to just have new lowering springs such as Kings or Jamex with stock shocks? Ive heard its not very good as it blows your shocks but I just want to confirm.

2) Also what price would I be looking at for springs and shocks (low budget) ? I dont have the money atm but just so I know what to aim for.

4) Where would I get them from?

3) Would there be anything else I need such as camber adjusters ect?

4) Is there anything else I should know?

Thanks in Advance.

Sorry if these are stupid questions.

Oliver

Edited by Oliver

Dont get jamex, i dont like them at all. I found that the kings i had in my prevous e30 were way better than my jamex but iv only experimented with them. Others on this form will have used varous different ones.

The best suggestion I can give is to get along to a meet (although you dont say where you are) and see if you can blag a ride in a few cars with different shocks/springs.

Most people on here have differing view on spings especially and ultimately you will need to have a ride in a car to know what you do and dont like.

The best suggestion I can give is to get along to a meet (although you dont say where you are) and see if you can blag a ride in a few cars with different shocks/springs.

Most people on here have differing view on spings especially and ultimately you will need to have a ride in a car to know what you do and dont like.

Thanks good idea, Im near wellington so ill have to get along to one some time.

Most disagree with me but I'm running lowered springs on stock shocks, I've had this setup for about 3 years now and the front shocks are starting to show their age a little bit now. Handles good enough for me. Camber should be fine if you stay don't drop more than 30mm

Most disagree with me but I'm running lowered springs on stock shocks, I've had this setup for about 3 years now and the front shocks are starting to show their age a little bit now. Handles good enough for me. Camber should be fine if you stay don't drop more than 30mm

What Brand of springs are you on?

Whitelines up front and dobis in the back, I've gone 60mm drop in the front and 40mm rear. All captive and fully legal. With a sub in the boot and the rear arches being lower it has a real nice stance. Both brands are around 30% stiffer than standard. I'm also running camber/toe adjusters in the rear but some people don't bother or need them for a 40mm drop in the rear.

Obviously getting decent shocks such as bilsteins or konis will be hugely beneficial but at over $1000 for the set its just not worth it for me at the moment.

Also get yourself a rear swaybar out of a 325i, nice improvement.

Go for a nice spring like B+G. Im sure others will suggest some others.

Not kings. I got kings in at the momoent, i hate them to the death. I should be getting some new ones in about a month or so. I had superlow B+G springs in my 325. Best mod ever. I picked up a second hand set for $250 ages ago.

Not trying to hijack

But why exactly are the kings or the Jamex springs rubbish?

I know they are rubbish because everybody says they are but Im keen on hearing actual reasons why

Are they too stiff, or not stiff enough ? is the spring rate linear when its meant to be progressive or what? Or are they just harsh for some reason or something like that.

Not trying to hijack

But why exactly are the kings or the Jamex springs rubbish?

I know they are rubbish because everybody says they are but Im keen on hearing actual reasons why

Are they too stiff, or not stiff enough ? is the spring rate linear when its meant to be progressive or what? Or are they just harsh for some reason or something like that.

Main reasons i think is because they have soft spring rates, and have a tendency to sag over time...

Ive had kings and jamex's, after going full adjustable coilovers, ill never go back to springs again :ph34r:

they will be all good for my e30 though, as i just want it lowered, and its my daily

Edited by dc2r

I'm sure my Jamex springs started sagging as soon as they were put it, they were just too damn soft, you could put a couple of doz on the back seat on the rears would start rubbing at normal speeds ... H&Rs soon dealt to that ;)

I'm sure my Jamex springs started sagging as soon as they were put it, they were just too damn soft, you could put a couple of doz on the back seat on the rears would start rubbing at normal speeds ... H&Rs soon dealt to that ;)

Exatly my problem, with the jamex. Edited by Bavarian Boy

jamex = sag

Makita one way adjustables.

Basically, as with anything. You pay for quality.

B&G ftw.

Ill be buying some for my rear as soon as my driveline hassles have been sorted.

Then its time to save for GC front coilovers and camber tops :D

post-590-1180045173_thumb.jpg

I had Jamex and i was happy with them.

Do the job, and maintain a resonable soft ride.

You can obviously go for more extreme setups, but i had no issues with rubbing.

I had Jamex and i was happy with them.

Do the job, and maintain a resonable soft ride.

You can obviously go for more extreme setups, but i had no issues with rubbing.

Word. But I'm not a racer....

I'm ridin a Jamex and Bilstein combo.... works fine wit loads of bitches in the back seat, gettin all jiggy wit it..nahmean :-)

Word. But I'm not a racer....

I'm ridin a Jamex and Bilstein combo.... works fine wit loads of bitches in the back seat, gettin all jiggy wit it..nahmean :-)

same......but haven't ever had anything else to compare with. no problems tho.

cant be assed reading all of it

jamex = lose

H&R, some decent spring (eibach, MAYBE kings, have not driven em yet)

or leave it stock and put some decent shocks in.

that is of course if you want your car to handle good and be nice to drive..if you just want it sacked put whatever in

cant be assed reading all of it

jamex = lose

H&R, some decent spring (eibach, MAYBE kings, have not driven em yet)

or leave it stock and put some decent shocks in.

that is of course if you want your car to handle good and be nice to drive..if you just want it sacked put whatever in

Didn't you drive someones series car at Taupo Gus? If so you have driven a car on Kings, we all are.

I ran lowered springs on stock shocks for about a year, i then removed them due to selling the vehicle and found out the rear shocks were routed and the front shocks had shortened themselves which made it very difficult to get the stock springs back in place, moral of story is get descent shocks before putting springs on the vehicle.

My setup is 40mm drop in front and 60mm drop in rear - would prefer 40-50mm all round. On bilstein shocks out of a msport. The bilsteins are 20 years old and been with low springs for 3 years or more and they still pass a shock test and have no leaks etc. However, when funds allow I will be ripping the whole lot out for soething new and properly thought out.

With a sub in the boot, my rear camber is the pits and I go through tyres like "insert jammaterjames quote here".

As far as price goes, depends on what you get and whether you go new or secondhand. I can't remember what I paid for mine but I think it was $800???? for shocks and springs secondhand. I just sold some king lows and four near new monroe stock shocks for $600 to a guy I knew. so there are bargains to be had.

My setup is 40mm drop in front and 60mm drop in rear - would prefer 40-50mm all round. On bilstein shocks out of a msport. The bilsteins are 20 years old and been with low springs for 3 years or more and they still pass a shock test and have no leaks etc. However, when funds allow I will be ripping the whole lot out for soething new and properly thought out.

With a sub in the boot, my rear camber is the pits and I go through tyres like "insert jammaterjames quote here".

As far as price goes, depends on what you get and whether you go new or secondhand. I can't remember what I paid for mine but I think it was $800???? for shocks and springs secondhand. I just sold some king lows and four near new monroe stock shocks for $600 to a guy I knew. so there are bargains to be had.

Oh thanks, Ill have to start looking around while I save up some money.

With a sub in the boot, my rear camber is the pits and I go through tyres like

....my wife's vagin....after many times through, looks like the wizard sleeve !!!

Posted Image