Sign in to follow this  
M325is

BMW 4x4's

OK, my next car needs to be a 4x4 so I was wondering what BMW has in the way of a towing machine? Are all BMW 4x4s just luxury cars with balloon tyres or are there any that actually have some staunchness about them? Ive heard of X3 and X5 is that it? And what does the 3 and 5 stand for?

I need 2000kg towing capacity braked.

On the other hand do you reccomend any other vehicle?

Purpose being towing horses.

But I dont want no crumby hag.

I've towed circa 1800 kg braked with an E36 - it was awesome. Got me back from Taupo in under 3 hours. They still handle really nicely.

E39 would work nicely - 528i upwards.

If you must be 4x4 - the X3/5 are both serious cars and can do off road. The 3 is smaller - the 5 is bigger. Basically the 3 & 5 series of BMW 4x4s. But both are $$$ - i'd rather use a Jappa.

The old X5 and the current X3 are pretty much the same size actually! The X3 2.0d is an excellent car, and the most economical SUV you can get in New Zealand, apparently. I've seen a few under the 50k mark recently, if you have that to spend, it wouldn't be such a bad bet. They're probably going to have a considerably higher resale in a few years time than an equivalent 3 series saloon, too.

My favourite tow vehicles are Ssangyong 4x4s; bloody cheap, Mercedes diesel engines. A little different from your same-again Pajeros, too.

Landcruiser- weighs 2.8 tonne and we tow 3.5 tonne boat with it - total over 6 tonne - it knows it's there, but only just. Towed 2.5 tonne of car and trailer from Auckland at 100km/h easy (except up brenderwyns).

Edited by bravo

5series ..

a decent v8 x5 is still in the 80-100k bracket ..

Lol at all you horse noobs, sedans fully don't cut it. Plus you'd get laughed at towing with a family car, the horse world is pretty much cruel hah.

Speaking from 100% personal experience, you HAVE to have a 4x4 for horse stuff, not just for towing capacity, but for gear space and general room. Trust me I know! There's so much crap to take to horse shows and event that you need as much space as poss, vertical space needs to be big.

But then again, this is hightower speaking ;)

Unless you want to spend an insane amount on a tow vehicle, I'd flag BMW 4x4s.

Buy a horse truck.

X3 diesel would be my pick of the BMW SUV for that.

Get a Disco diesel. It'll cost far less.

Dont buy a X3, no reason really, just dont.

X5 4.8is would be my pick, and would easily tow anything you wanted, but if you are prpared to pay 90 - 120k for a 2003 model then go for it. Even the pre facelift 4.4 X5's still will cost you around 60k.

Merc ML-class' are just embarassing

I reckon just get a Jappa to tow stuff and keep your E30 or upgrade to a new BMW and still get a Jappa to tow with.

But thats just me

Guest Phil Ken Sebben

My favourite tow vehicles are Ssangyong 4x4s; bloody cheap, Mercedes diesel engines. A little different from your same-again Pajeros, too.

So when did they remove your eyes and good taste?

Haha, I mean for towing. It's a cheap way to get high-tech diesel. Rextons aren't half bad looking in black. Not as ugly as those Nissan Murano things anyway!

Guest Phil Ken Sebben

Posted Image

Its is unbelievable that they signed this car off.

The Actyon Sports isn't so bad...

Posted Image

apart from the gaping vagina hole in the front

Yeh, thought as much on BMW's towing horses, just thought id do some research on them still. Horse truck is out of the question as I dont have enough room and they would be a bitch every time you wanted a WOF and they are very very pricey. ;)

My 530d Touring has a 2,000kg (or maybe even 2,500kg) braked capacity and significantly more space in the back than an X5. It's only 2wd though so wouldn't do well off wet grass and if image is important it isn't a 4x4.

land rover disco 3

great 4 towing, dont notice the boat at all, except 4 on gravel roads, the abs dosnt allow much braking.apperently this is because over in europe the abs is set for ice?

Posted Image

Its is unbelievable that they signed this car off.

(edit. Im a noob and quoted the wrong thing, was meant to quote that stupid black ute)

Hahah that looks like someone kicked a hole in its face then stood on it. Never been a fan of Saangyongs.

The new Nissan Pathfinder could be a decent car to look into Shelly? But only the new shape

Posted Image

Edited by RJS