Sign in to follow this  
tibbs.james

Got my New Laptop

Hey guys

I just went and picked up my brand new acer 6460 core 2 duo laptop and im stoaked,the high res screen is great and its a lot faster than my old desktop (barton 2600+ with radeon 9600 pro and igb ram)

And its even got serial for when i decide to get into a bit of ecu tuning for my 300zx!

here is the specs

http://www.acer.co.nz/acer/akc/marcom.nsf/...t=13.1.1.1&

igot it at a really good deal( Friends with the owner of a computer business )

nice, keep us posted about the 300z

Must be the time of year.....every ones on a buying spree

I just bought an new Digital Handycam with bluetooth wireless microphone

Sony DCR-SR82E60GB.... arrives today. Got it direct from Sony (wholesale) :D

Same - also bought an Acer laptop last week. 17" screen though - makes your puny 15.4" pale in comparison lol. Similar specs - Core 2 Duo T7200, 1Gb Ram, 120GB HDD, slightly cheaper graphics, my HDD isn't SATA, and although screen is bigger, resolution is about the same. Paid $1800 delivered incl carry bag and accessories.

I just got a Macbook Pro 17 " - 2.33 Ghz Core 2 Duo - it hauls ass.

Except Apples are closer to 5k :(

I just got a Macbook Pro 17 " - 2.33 Ghz Core 2 Duo - it hauls ass.

Except Apples are closer to 5k :(

Andrew... what are they like? looking at upgrading from my G4, even though ive just packed 2 gig sd ram into it :D

Also do you have an unlimited licence for final cut pro??

Can i scab an install??

They are awesome Chris. My sister has one - brand new also.

I was seriously looking at Macs, but I wanted a 15" screen or larger and they only come on the macbook Pro's. The standard macbooks only have a 13" screen. I couldn't justify the price for the pro ($5k like andrew said) for a home computer I surf the web and watch movies on. The standard macbook is priced similar to what i paid with similar specs, just the goddamn screen is too small!!!

Same - also bought an Acer laptop last week. 17" screen though - makes your puny 15.4" pale in comparison lol. Similar specs - Core 2 Duo T7200, 1Gb Ram, 120GB HDD, slightly cheaper graphics, my HDD isn't SATA, and although screen is bigger, resolution is about the same. Paid $1800 delivered incl carry bag and accessories.

What's the point in getting a 17" lappie? SO HUGE!

My 15.4" is sweet and I just have a 19" LCD for when I'm at my desk "studying".

Nice specs for that price though.

I currently have a 12" G4, and yes screen = small, but i do alot of design work etc, i usually just plug it into the 32" LCD we have when im at home.

Dual core sounds fun though :D

maybe ill just wait till quad core is released

Edited by ED1RTY

17" isn't that huge - the MacBook Pro is so light:

Chris: It's badass - really versatile editing/post prod machine - and portable. Adobe Suite 3 (intel based) really cranks now - photoshop used to be such a weak link on intel based macs. Its MUCH faster than on PC.

We have an 8 core machine on order for Colour Grading/After Effects/Motion work - I'll let you know how that cranks - all our other machines (including my new work machine are 4 core) Don't think you'll see 4 core in a MBP until they get smaller/use less power for heat issues. Yes - we have unlimited Final Cut Studio 2 (got it yesterday) - but it notifies Apple and we'd break our volume licensing agreement.

I love my acer

It makes a good Autocad,inventor polytech/study machine.

And now i can browse bimmersport and trademe on the sofa !

using Super PI 1.5 doing the 1M calculation it does 26 seconds

My old AMD barton 2500+ with 1gb duel channel ram and a ati 9600pro did it in about 59 seconds

so the laptop its a hell of a lot faster !

Just one word of warning...to Acer owners...Acer tends fail more than other brands...I dont know why...dont ask me why but I used to fix laptops as a way to pay for my expense...not major problems...just small problems like screwed up speakers, keys wont work etc...nothing major but can be a hassle...so keep those issues in mind...

I am not in anyway offending Acers users...just a word of warning...

What's the point in getting a 17" lappie? SO HUGE!

My 15.4" is sweet and I just have a 19" LCD for when I'm at my desk "studying"

Because I never sit at a desk, and I want portable, and I want to watch DVD's on the move etc. But I don't use it enough for the extra size to be a problem.

oh and I really wanted a full numeric keypad.

Bought a Dell 640m about a month ago, and amazed with it. Had a really slow old ASUS laptop before so a big step up. I use it mainly to take work to school, surf the web, music and the odd DVD.

Its got the dell 14.1" Ultra sharp true life high res screen which is fantastic and sharp, plug it into a 19" LCD for home.

Core 2 duo T5600, 2 Gig 667MHz dual channel ram, 120 gig Sata hard drive.

And with dell you get sh*t loads of free stuff, carry case, $150 cash back, free hard drive upgrade, free high res. screen upgrade, extended warranty, free delivery and free bluetooth.

All i'll need for a while.