Sign in to follow this  
stolen

DVD Ripping

Hello,

Does anyone know where i can find a free programme to rip dvds to avi or mpeg?

Thanks.

Sure -

DVDs have CSS encryption - so you need DVD Decrypt (Google).

That will rip the VIDEO_TS folder (the easiest way) then you can do what you want with the VTS files.

Programs like Cinematize allow you to pop open individual VTSes and go straight to a native MPEG2 stream.

IMTOO dvd ripper did the trick for me.

Computers so slow though that it took all day,so I gave up.

Also DVD Decrypter is very good.

Note that you're seriously infringing upon copyright laws if you need to crack the CSS on a DVD. If you need to crack CSS then use DVD Decrypter to create an ISO image, load the ISO image as virtual drive (DaemonTools or Nero ImageDrive etc) then use a ripper (NO1 DVD Ripper) to create the avi using what ever codec (divx, xvid) you've got installed.

E: My original P4 2.4 PC used to take 6-7 hours to rip a DVD to avi, did one on Sunday using a new PC I just built and it took less than 2 hours for a 2.5 hour movie to divx at 640x480 7/10 quality - this was prior to setting up the overclocking as I didn't have the good PSU at the time.

[l33t]

AMD 64 X2 5600+ (+14% o/clock ~ 3.2 GHz)

nVidia M57-S4 mobo (+22% bus o/c's ~ PCI-E @ 2.85 GHz)

2GB Crucial CL4 DDR-2 (+14% o/c ~ 912 MHz)

nVidia 8800 GTS o/c'd

2x WD SE16 320GB SATA2 in Raid 0 config =640GB drive B)

Enermax Liberty 620w PSU

Gigabyte case with some serious thoughts about cooling

All on Gigabit ethernet

[/l33t]

Old P4 3GHz machine is now running Ubuntu Linux. It's my backup and media centre.

Edited by Carl

Guest Ken

Note that you're seriously infringing upon copyright laws if you need to crack the CSS on a DVD. If you need to crack CSS then use DVD Decrypter to create an ISO image, load the ISO image as virtual drive (DaemonTools or Nero ImageDrive etc) then use a ripper (NO1 DVD Ripper) to create the avi using what ever codec (divx, xvid) you've got installed.

Yeh - What he said! Guys, this thread could have serious consequences if it gets out - think about it.

640x480 7/10 quality

DV PAL video is at 720 * 576 - which is the correct aspect ratio with non-sq pixels

With disk as cheap as it is, why bother with the compression ?

There's 1.5Tb in my cupboard which means you can watch the movies in all their HD goodness :-)

Recoding just the main movie strips off all the crap you don't want, no need to keep menus / adverts / chinese / or non DTS audio now is there ;)

With disk as cheap as it is, why bother with the compression ?

There's 1.5Tb in my cupboard which means you can watch the movies in all their HD goodness :-)

Really? haven't bought DVD's for ages....how much are tha dual layers?

Carl, I was just talking about not bothering to compress the video, sure remove all the extra rubbish (which I hear DVD Shrink is excellent for) but whats the point of having a whacking great LCD and an HD capable graphics card and then compressing the video so you can save on disk space ?

15 mins to get the movie in all its glory and your done....no messing about with avi's.

Jammaster, sorry mate I was talking about hard-disk space being cheap not the DVD's themselves.

Well taking what Andy said before into account, I redid that last rip without altering aspect or size and it took less than an hour...f**k. HDD space may be cheap but avi files will play through our MVP, ISO or VOB files don't so we have to stick with avi files.

Carl, I was just talking about not bothering to compress the video, sure remove all the extra rubbish (which I hear DVD Shrink is excellent for) but whats the point of having a whacking great LCD and an HD capable graphics card and then compressing the video so you can save on disk space ?

15 mins to get the movie in all its glory and your done....no messing about with avi's.

Jammaster, sorry mate I was talking about hard-disk space being cheap not the DVD's themselves.

DVDs are super compressed and very low quality video anyway.

Carl - just did the same render.

Took 10 minutes on the work computer hah.

(Mac Pro 8 Cores) rendering over a fibrechannel network with a 32 core render farm (the other Mac Pros)

Use win avi converter to make a movie a dvd file, then use dvd shrink to copy or burn on a disc. if you run dvd region+css free it will automatically multizone a movie.

My understanding is that its already extremely illegal.

At the moment in NZ you dont even have the right to rip a cd that you own and transfer it onto your ipod.

you technically cant even record a song of the radio , the laws are so tight. supposedly even recording your programs of tv is a bit dodgy. But just type a question into "ask jeeves.com" and SHAZAM!! full instructions on how to do anything legal or not.

Use win avi converter to make a movie a dvd file, then use dvd shrink to copy or burn on a disc. if you run dvd region+css free it will automatically multizone a movie.

Once you have copied a disc it won't remultizone or CSS anyway - css et al. can only be pressed into DVDs with professional hardware.

DVDs are super compressed and very low quality video anyway.

I dont doubt that at all Andrew, which is why I wouldnt want to compress it anymore to save disk space when hard drives are so cheap these days.

Understandably tough thats necessary for Carl to use his MVP.....told you mate HTPC FTW :)