Sign in to follow this  
hybrid

The two go hand in hand ...

I would of done it if i could of found some super deep dish bbs 16s, and the price

What width would their rims be at the rear?

Why does no-one do this over here? Is it because NZ regulations stop us?

And final questions does alot of work go into fitting them uder the guards?

Cheers,

Mavrick

Because its soooooooo expensive! they are most likely 10inch on the rear with 205 or 195 tires.

Also NZ regulations say we cant have the wheels or tires over the edge of the factory guards.

Alot of fender rolling, hard suspention etc. Makes for bad handling but looks awesome!

haha awesome, im due for new tyres too!! Getting stretched 195s and 20mm spacers .. hopefully will look better than the 205s.. not that stretched though :mellow:

yeah its fairly easy to do ...

The e30 is running 18x8.5 with 225's on it .. a mild stretch .. 195's would give the same effect as above.

The 2nd set of LMs I just took receivership of are 18x8.5 front and 18x9.5 rears (will run 245 instead of 265) should be enough rubber .. (yeah right ;) )

video of how its done

or how the n00bs do it

Haha both ways look pretty half ass.. I guess its the only way- pretty extreme stretching going on.. ahh wish my rs's were 8.5 or something :)

Chris (the Muss) has pimp stretch.

Love the n00b stretch way haha

meh, not a fan. more rubber is good if needed

N00b method looks hella more fun although that high-pressure gun job looks like a pretty badass toy aswell.

Edited by bravo

195 tire on a 9" rim ...why ?

I would like 345 rubber on a 10.5 rim

My Z31 comes with 225 rubber on a 6.5 rim as factory

For skinny rims the tires look nice and fat !

Is there some reason for stretching tires ? I hear bits about autocross drivers do it for handling reasons for less give in their tires and more control or something ....

Edited by Jimmy

Aesthetics. That is all. And it looks hot.

And it looks hot.

nah. (There are exceptions though)

Edited by Mike

Aesthetics. That is all. And it looks hot.

My understanding was that it started in Germany because there was a restriction on the size of the tyre you could run on a car, but not the size of the alloy.

Only if you care about handling. I do, but as we know, the majority appear not to (eg cars with no springs etc)

both of those cars have serious camber problems....serious wear on the innside..gosh i thought 235 on 8.5 was a bit too small

I have 205/40/16's on 16x9, Looks all good but no good for the rims or tyres for that matter, especially on the rear, camber + stretch = owned sidewalls. Im getting new tyres in a month or so once my H&R's go in, will be running 205/50/16 Direzza's still stretched but with more suspension travel, and the handiness of my camber adjusters I shouldn't have any issues with abnormal tyre wear :D

The other thing about the spring change, Chris, is depending on your current springs, the H&R's should be harder. This means you won't hit the bumpstops except in rare cases. With my old springs hitting the bumpstops was a daily occurence - that much suspension travel at speed = even more severe tyre wear.

There's a really good article somewhere where a guy goes through all the calcs step by step for e30 trailing arm suspension with graphs showing how ride height affects camber and toe. Basically 1deg of rotation of the trailing arm equals for all intents and purposes 1 deg of camber Toe increases as the trailing arm swings both upward and downward of neutral.

A 20mm increase in ride height will equate to almost 1 deg reduction in neg camber from memory.

That is what im hoping for.

At the moment with the camber adjusters on no adjustment there is around 4.5deg negative camber.

I can take it in to 2.5deg negative camber with the adjusters at full tit.

Raising the car 20mm will hopefully reduce this to 1.5 deg which is about right.

....serious camber problems....

..gosh i thought 235 on 8.5 was a bit too small

heheh wash your mouth out! ... but yeah they are running race car type camber and eventual tire wear would be a problem.

235 is the perfect size for 8.5 215 is starting to stretch on 8.5 the e30 is running 225 on 8.5 with no issue. All this depends on the tire manufacture, EG a 235 continetial sport is different from a 235 dunlop derezza tread / sidewall wise, by about 1 inch.

The Japs have been doing this for many a year in the drift scene. The main reason is to make the tyre sidewall extreamly hard. So there is no tyre roll at all. It has nothing to do with looks. Looks are the last thing a drifter gives a crap about.

Most of the guys you see driving around on the road in NZ that have stretched tyres however are doing it just to get that drift look. And sometimes to actually get the tyres under the gaurd due to the low or negative offsets on their wheels.

The Japs will laugh at anything under 9 wide. And big fat ugly tyres look sh*t on narrow rims. Quite often I walk past a car with "Massive" 8 inch wide wheels with horrible looking 255/45's.

hence my problem with old man tyres.. their shape is out dated