Sign in to follow this  
camera doctor

Early E39 Headlights

The headlights in my 1996 E39 540i are terrible! I wonder if the Germans overcompensated for complaints with the HID facelift on the later models!

Anyway, wiothout going to the expense of Hella HID upgrade, what are my options? - I wondered about better quality bulbs, have read on USA Bimmer forum about Projector Bulbs ( P39?? ) or Xenon etc etc. Who here has fitted something that works?

I am also keen to fit a set of Angel Eyes, the prices seem to vary a lot, I see there is a thread on here that says the $399 ones from Eurovogue are the best - anyone got experience with these? Easy to self fit?

Thanks in advance :)

The headlights in my 1996 E39 540i are terrible! I wonder if the Germans overcompensated for complaints with the HID facelift on the later models!

Anyway, wiothout going to the expense of Hella HID upgrade, what are my options? - I wondered about better quality bulbs, have read on USA Bimmer forum about Projector Bulbs ( P39?? ) or Xenon etc etc. Who here has fitted something that works?

I am also keen to fit a set of Angel Eyes, the prices seem to vary a lot, I see there is a thread on here that says the $399 ones from Eurovogue are the best - anyone got experience with these? Easy to self fit?

Thanks in advance :)

Are yours hazed up from wear and tear? You might want to try going at it with some polish. IIRC, the outer lense of the E39 Hella Angel Eyes headlights is made from plastic. I'm assuming your pre-facelift ones are as well? The cheapest option for you is to open up your headlights and polish the plastic outer lense, and remove the inner lenses and wipe them down. This makes a significant difference.

Other options are:

1. Pre-facelift headlights with Xenon

2. Hella Angel Eyes with Xenon

3. Hella Angel Eyes

4. Aftermarket - ie: Depo (Projector39 is a Depo with some changes made)

All those options won't be cheap.

If you upgrade from pre-facelift to Hella Angel Eyes, you'll also need the adapters to hook everything up. These are available from Hella.

Furthermore, if you upgrade from a halogen to a proper xenon system, you'll need:

New headlights, as the projectors inside are different

Xenon ballasts and bulbs

A module so you won't get an error from the OBC

The Hella ones will be the best quality. But also the highest price. If you want to upgrade to xenon at a cheaper price you can do so, but that's with aftermarket xenon 'kits' that will plug into your halogen lights. The cutoff and light distribution will not be as good compared to using a headlight with projectors made specially for xenon. This may also result in glare to oncoming drivers. You've probably experienced that on the road, lots of people just plug kits into their halogen headlights.

Do note that the Hella Angel Eyes look great, but they have a fundamental flaw. The headlight adjusters inside the Angel Eyes are not sold as a part. They're made from plastic and get brittle after a while. When these break you will essentially have to buy a new headlight. There are a few aftermarket sources available but I have not tried them yet. They are also not cheap.

However the pre-facelift lights have adjusters which are sold at the dealer as a part, so you're safe there.

A module so you won't get an error from the OBC

you can trick this by leaving the standard park bulb in some where on the circuit .. all it needs is resistance. Did it on mine no probs ...

Hi & welcome.

As Yuen said - try cleaning, they can go smokey on the inside (particually Jap origin cars) The pre angel eye lamps are very easy to remove & dismantle, also buffing the outside to remove any dulling of the polycarbonate. A clear lens makes a BIG difference to light output.

When clean - these lights are very good.

Not sure what bulbs are in the early cars - my 99 had standard HB3 & HB4 bulbs which I changed to zenon ultra version HB3 & HB4 - still same bulb & wattage but a whiter/blue light

As for angel eyes - I got a set about 18 months ago from the states off Ebay (Taiwanese made CCFL type) These are just the rings in which you dismantle the lamp assy to fit them & wire the inverter to the existing park light wiring. This set has inverters that replicate the current draw of the standard park light bulb thus avoiding lamp failure prompt on the dash. Did have one inverter die recently but got a replacement directly from the manufacturers in Taiwan easy enough. Infact they sent me a whole replacement set of lights.

About 40% increase in light output without changing lamps, due to better clarity and less scatter. If yours are hazy do this first E39 lights in good condition are very good lights.

Likewise - used some of the facelift angle eye units and got awesome light output.

Thanks Guys, my lenses certainly look 'grubby' so that would be a great placxe to start - what product shouls i use to clean the polycarbonate?

Are you looking at the cheapest solution to get rid of the haze on the outer lenses?

You can clean them as mentioned above till next christmas, you aint going to get them clear 100%

If you want, i just bought some window/plastic cleaner over and works some magic, try these guys:

http://www.autogeek.net/

Your next option would be to replace your lenses with new ones - if you have amber corners - upgrade to clear.

You can get these for about $160 NZ (aftermarket)

Otherwise, buy some new lights:

P39 halogens - $600 NZ

with Xenon - $1000 NZ

Hella - $1100 NZ

with Xenon - $1800 NZ

Vendors I have dealt with who are great with shipping and on to it (for lighting)

http://www.eurosportdesign.com/?bannerID=85

http://www.bmpdesign.com/category-exec/cat...0/?bannerID=113

http://www.rmeuropean.com/?bannerID=155

http://www.umnitza.com

http://www.namotorwerks.com/index.php

^ Great post.

Note that if you get lights from a LHD country, make sure they are, or can be switched to RHD beam pattern. I am not sure if it can be done on the E39 Hellas.

^ Great post.

Note that if you get lights from a LHD country, make sure they are, or can be switched to RHD beam pattern. I am not sure if it can be done on the E39 Hellas.

ON E39's - all models above have a circle in the middle on top of the headlight - turn the switch to left and its RHD

I have played around with that adjustment knob and also based on info from some other forums it is not a true LHD to RHD switch. The knob just turns the flare on or off. I believe it's to enable compliance when Europeans move between RHD & LHD countries but a true RHD beam will be the exact opposite of a LHD one.

Are you looking at the cheapest solution to get rid of the haze on the outer lenses?

You can clean them as mentioned above till next christmas, you aint going to get them clear 100%

If you want, i just bought some window/plastic cleaner over and works some magic, try these guys:

http://www.autogeek.net/

I've still got hazed lenses after trying to give them a good clean with a low friction cutting compound. No, didnt make them worse.

So before spending big $$$ I might chase up your cleaning product

Is that the Diamondite or Meguiars brand you bought?

Perhaps Repco or someone has it rather than order off the net

I've heard that autosol (metal polishing compound) can give good results. Any one used this product on their early e39 head lights?