Sign in to follow this  
jimbo01

Whats that hissing daddy?

Great fathers day, apart from a freakin crack appearing in the sidewall of my front tyre. We had just got back from a cruise in the 740 to Masterton & back. I hit no curbs or big potholes. Is this what you get from having cheap Korean Nexen 3000 tyres on the car? I was thinking they were OK - They handle alriight, including wet on the Rimutaka Hill. By the way - these are the legacy of the previous owner.

I will take the oportunity to get the curb damage removed from the rim and will buy another 2 tyres as I need to go up to 255/35ZR20 to get the right rolling diameter anyway - I had hoped these would last a little longer. I'll put the new tyres on the rea and move the rears to the front.

So can anyone recommend some good value tyres - i.e. not Pilot Sports at $900 each. Something that isn't crap, and won't breakthe bank of jimbo!

post-1569-1188729428_thumb.jpg

For big diameter / low profile tires you cannot go wrong with Falkin fk-452's ... youll never look back (from some one whos been running 265/30r19's for the past 3 years)

:)

I've had good experiences with Dunlop SP Sport Maxx in a 20545r17. Direzza's are similar, but cheaper. Sport Maxx is the Dunlop replacement for the older SP9000 series tyre which I also had and were also good.

I've had good experiences with Dunlop SP Sport Maxx in a 20545r17. Direzza's are similar, but cheaper. Sport Maxx is the Dunlop replacement for the older SP9000 series tyre which I also had and were also good.

The Sport Maxx is a much stronger tyre - and would probably perform better on the 7.

The Sport Maxx is a much stronger tyre - and would probably perform better on the 7.

Thnaks - I'll price up some sport maxx tyres, and the falken.

I can second the Falkens. I had the FK451's in 18' on the 740 and they stuck like glue. The Dunlop SP Sport 01's (I think that was their full name) that I replaced them with were very disappointing in comparison.

i'm running the Sport Maxx on 235/35/19 and i love then, they handle nicely and are also good in the wet !

I can second the Falkens. I had the FK451's in 18' on the 740 and they stuck like glue. The Dunlop SP Sport 01's (I think that was their full name) that I replaced them with were very disappointing in comparison.

Interesting your comment on the SP SPort 01's - I am looking at a set of them - My bet is they would be better than the Nexens!

I'm looking at 245/40ZR20 (704mm diameter). These are 2.27% bigger than the orginal 235/60R16.

Currently it has a 245/35/20 (679mm diameter), these are 1.29% smaller than original which doesn't account for my GPS radar detector showing 109kph when the 740's speedo is showing 120kph indicated!.

The ideal 20" size for my BMW is 255/35ZR20 but this size is not readily available in mnay ranges - and the price in 20" will make your eyes water, it could be cheaper to buy new 18" wheels and tyres than just put a good brand on the 20" wheels!

post-1569-1188815611_thumb.jpg

Most tire manufactures dont make 20inch in a 35% profile ... This includes most of the common tires imported in NZ. Hence the cost... NZ can demand really what it wants vs overseas.

When I first got my 19's .. I paid $1000 per rear tire and 600 for the fronts. It was just mental.

Falkin

Continental

Parelli

Yokohama (massive side walls (not good if you have rubbing issues) )

Most tire manufactures dont make 20inch in a 35% profile ... This includes most of the common tires imported in NZ. Hence the cost... NZ can demand really what it wants vs overseas.

When I first got my 19's .. I paid $1000 per rear tire and 600 for the fronts. It was just mental.

Falkin

Continental

Parelli

Yokohama (massive side walls (not good if you have rubbing issues) )

The 4 Dunlop SP 01A's sold for $755 - I rang Baurepaires for a quote for same ; fitted and balanced $830 EACH!

I have already priced Yokohamas and Toyo's from Tonys Tyre centre. I will look at some other prices this weekend.

I've got new rubber for the car - $830 each from Beaurepaires but I bought them from the closing South Pacific Tyre plant here in Upper Hutt via trademe - $755 for the 4. I'm happy - they are Dunlop 01A tyres 245/40ZR20 and have got to be better than the Nexen tyres.