Sign in to follow this  
325_driver

Transmission Querie

Hi there

the 325i is getting a little too zippy for my liking, so ive purchased a 1989 automatic 535i e36

When i bought it i knew there was a transmission problem. didnt care as it was real cheap.

problem being, it doesnt reverse, the x owner purchased a transmission of Trademe, and turns out after installing it the car only goes foward in any gear, (but park)

I have another transmission lined up, but before i do that, wondering

could this be a perfectly good transmission, just not a perfect match?

there are some holes on the side of the trans near the flywheel end

that look like something could bolt into, so it was just making me wonder

The plate on this transmission reads

0839961 getriebe nr

1043010 645

4 HP - 22 zf getriebe gmbh

Is this possible,

any ways you guys should catch my drift, reakon some one could expand on this

just so i know if its poked as well, and so i can make sure i get the right match for my next transmission

Cheers

Aslong as the bolt holes line up then, the bell housing doesn't have to much. You may beable to change bell housing with the new gb if it doesnt fit.

i thought so,

So what your saying is the transmission that was bought, was also on its way out too?

ive uploaded a picture of those holes though on the side of the transmission

post-727-1189909130_thumb.jpg

I`m going to pass on a tip. (Most probably do myself out of a sale)

I`f it is only reverse that has gone check out the following..the lock out valve located in the small pan on the drivers side is a magnetic switch, if you loose reverse for no reason first get this checked out .

Sorted out slipping reverse in aE34 540 last week with a $7 check-ball part.

If you have no joy then i`ve got a good trans.

HELLBM

Ray, i have plenty of more things im going to buy off you :)

so even if the transmission is fine, ill let you know when i need that lsd for my e30

front bumper

etc, ill think of more things haha

not to mention most of my friends have bmw's now,

and ive let them know that your the man to talk to for bmw parts

Cheers,

give you a buz on monday and see whats happening with that pipe

can get it off brent if your busy up there

let you know how the transmission problem goes

'89 535i is an e34, not e36. But that's not why I'm posting.

The autos from those models have removable bellhousing, so if its slightly different you could possibly swap the bellhousings over.

yeah all good, opps on the e36, had just finished work at 5am !! haha. ray will get me a transmission that will bolt straight on, but on rays comment about the lock out valve, wondering what will this "thing" or bearing look like, if it supposably needs replacing, so i dont have to get a new transmission.

Some one give me some hints, ill be able to find it, once i jack my car up, but knowing whether its worn or fine is a different story

Cheers,

Was going to put a new topic, but ill just continue here.

Right heres the story, the x owner had water leaking into the trans cooler, which destroyed the first one

he got the leaks fixed, and bought a new trans off trademe which doesnt reverse, weve gone over why

it doesnt reverse and im taking the sump off tonight.

i see quite a bit of talking on flaring, define what flaring feels like, cause i took my 535 for a drive and tested

throttle positions etc, some times if i put my foot to the floor at 50 it judders for a bit (the revs do not fly up)?? and then accellerates smoothly. So is it flaring ? Or is this a different problem. Hoping some one could expand on this. Or give me some tests to do while driving to help figure out this problem. Could this be related to the lock out valve ray was talking about.

other information that might be relevant, doesnt matter if im in sports mode or not, but it seems that it doesnt matter when i floor it, most of the times i have to change the gears my self, surely this is some thing stupid ??

Any way, i tried putting as much relevant and irrellevant info on here to see if some gurus could expand on this, or maybe some one has delt with this before.

Cheers