Sign in to follow this  
dubbed5series

Diff????

Hey got my gearbox rebulit about 2000kz ago and for about the last 500kz what i think is my diff has been slipping over about 3500rpm. But this morning, when i was driving to work i could hardly get up a hill and while i was trying the cog with the explination mark came up as did the ABS and traction control lights.

dont quote me on this but if your dif was slipping you would hear a real bad grinding or clunking noise? sure its not your clutch?

Yep certainly does not sound like a diff issue, maybe clutch if manual or auto box electronics, does the car rev normally? A diff issue would normally be clearly apparent by loss of power to one wheel and significant noises when damaged.

i have a similiarish problem except i can get up hills etc. i went to boosted performance today and they said it could be my diff universal joint, at first i thought it was the diff hanger bush as it has a hole in it. do u get fast heavy vibration when accelerating hard?

Yea sorry i wrote that in a hurry before work and wasnt very discriptive.

Yeah its really low on power. Just seems like its going no where when you put your foot down, and yes it does vibrate but im pretty sure it only does it when if i hold it at a certain rev while its slipping. Yeah it seems like a manual car would when the clutch slips except its an auto :huh: and it sometimes was thumping into the next gear.

I just thought it might be the diff cause when it vibrates it feels like its coming from the arse end. And yeah people suggested that it mite be something to do with the universal joints or something like that because my cars about 2-3 inches lower in the back than the front and the backs really bouncy because the spring arent captive, would this cause the problem?

Cheers Joel

Edited by dubbed5series

Lowering the car shouldn't have anything to do with it.

Sounds like your auto is stuffed. The vibration may be to do with worn mounts or driveshaft hanger bearing, but it doesn't sound like your diff, and the universal joint won't cause "slipping". Its a joint - if it breaks, it breaks. If it wears out, it will cause vibration. Not slipping.

Have you checked the auto fluid level lately?

I'm with Bravo, sounds like the auto's packing it in. Could try changing filter and fluids, but I'd start looking for a second hand one if I was you.

sounds like they didnt put enough fluid in the box. the torqe converter wont be getting much oil hence the loss of power and the thumping into gears. thats just my theory

Hmmm I just couldnt see how it would be the box as it got fully rebuilt 4 weeks ago, but ill ring up the place where it is at the moment and ask them to check the fluid levels then. Cheers for that

I drove the car home yesterday and the gearbox shat itself at the end of the western motorway. So im taking it into the people who rebuilt it and have a talk to them cause alot of people think that it has to do with the fluid levels in the box!!!

I would put my money on trans not being filled correctly. i `ve seen the results of incompetent `lifetime fluid `replacement. Unlike earlier trans`s these die easily when driven on low fluid levels.

Call me if you need help or an explaination.

Ray

0212HELLBM

Yeah cheers for that. Dads going into see them for me today. Is it normal that i can reverse sweet as but non of the drive gears work?

No it's not normal - you should have every gear.

I.E Your gearbox is dead.

Sounds like your forward clutch packs are stuffed if you can still reverse.

Yep just got told that this is what it is. They are making me pay for the labour aswell, so theres another g sunk into my piece of sh*t car

Yep just got told that this is what it is. They are making me pay for the labour aswell, so theres another g sunk into my piece of sh*t car

I would argue that - sounds pretty average to me.