Sign in to follow this  
Gus

Console Gaming

A new and wonderful article in Bimmersports Lifestyles (z??)

opinions and thoughts please ladies and gents:

Since moving to London I have missed my occasional forays into the gaming world...we have got a basic laptop PC, that i will hopefully use for old games (Thief, Deus Ex, Age of Empires I and II/Mythology and that sort of stuff) however for anything newer i would need to get a decent system. a desktop is too much of a pain in the ass and laptops are too expensive so i am thinking of crossing over to the console world

the Xbox 360 seems to have a good choice of games (indeed most of the ones i am keen to play); Bioshock, orange box from PC, halo 3 and gears of war seem good and probably some more. the only ones i couldnt play would be crysis, fallout 3 when it comes (it may for xbox) and decent racing games (not that i will play any over here sans my racing wheel).

PS3 is more expensive and seems to have a lacklustre game selection in comparison?

will also double as a DVD player

what are your guys thoughts? is 20gb enough HD for the xbox? any other necessities?

the portability and value for money are really the selling points for me...only downside as i can see is that the games are more expensive (usually £40 vs £30/£20 for PC games)

please..continue

Well I have both an Xbox and the Xbox 360. The 20G HDD is fine. You wont fill it up very quickly. The 360 has a much better game list. And Crysys is no longer PS3 exclusive I dont think. The 360 is far cheaper. The extra HD drive you can get for it really works well too. Online gameplay is great. Infact I have played on the PS3 quite a bit at a mates and the Xboxlive feature the 360 has is sooooo much better than the PS3 online system. And online play in the UK is awesome! Always so many people on there.

You can also download HD TV shows and movies direct through xboxlive. You do have to pay though.

Dont bother with the PS3. Too expensive, no games, not that great online play, MUST have a HD TV to make it look any good. Oh and dont listen to anyone that says the PS3 has better graphics. It doesn't. Yet. As the developers are not using the full potential of the PS3. Infact most comparison tests show the 360 having better graphics and fps.

Edited by driftit

Forza 2 isnt on PS3 which sucks,best driving game out me thinks.

I didn't get as much of a "wow" from PS3 as the 360

I wish I had the spare time to game. I played Need For Speed (some version or other) on xbox 360 for about an hour on the weekend. I think that's the first gaming I've done all year.

(Playing Buzz and Guitar Hero on the piss doesn't count)

Edited by bravo

xbox360 is pretty good value, and if you want 'classic' gaming then a good choice. I am thinking of getting one for the driving games.

I am pretty hard out for gaming, and I find it hard to justify the price of games. SO piracy is a big factor for me. I am not sure of xbox 360 piracy?

Consider a Wii. Piracy is easy also.

There are some high quality games on Wii.

-Excite Truck

-Metroid

and heaps of others coming soon.

No driving games though.

If you dont have an HD TV then Wii should be an option for you/.

xbox360 ftmfw!!

i just nailed one recently brand new xbox pro, incl 2 wireless controllers + 2 gell covers for them, 20G HDD, 7 games some cool titles, alternate face plate and 2 play and charge things and 2 xtra recharge batteries for $610 aus. minta

halo 3 for the win. i lub it

recently brand new? haha badass...sounds good...now just need some spare ££. it has some cool titles. i still would prefer PC but just so ££ to get set up. also easy to lug around the plug into a telly...no HD yet but maybe one day..still better than a cheap comp screen

haha got some 7 year old games playing last nite..so ancient!

I just built a new gaming system didnt go overboard and atually love playing test drive unlimited with my pc xbox controller. i think if i had to go console it would be xbox, way better value for money..

Edited by Chris C

nice...im not too worried about game costs, realistically i will only have 3-4 games max...buying at intervals..i dont have a whole heap of time for gaming either, but do enjoy it when i can

I just get bored with 90% of games after such a short time.

Its the same as it was 10 years ago with PS1, but with better graphics. Gamplay hasnt changed a whole lot.

This is why I'm a Nintendo fanboy. Its different and new. It comes the closest to that amazing feeling when you first explored games.

Xbox360 is good, just dont get a PS3....

Check these titles that are coming soon on Wii:

Rockstar Games Presents Table Tennis

Battalion Wars 2

Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock

Need for Speed ProStreet

Manhunt 2

Ghost Squad

Super Mario Galaxy

Brothers in Arms: Double Time

Medal of Honor Heroes 2

Rayman Raving Rabbids 2

Soulcalibur Legends

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Blitz: The League

Mario Kart Wii

I think the Wii is the coolest and has the most fun.

However, the graphics aren't as good as the other 2.

hey now, ps3 aint bad at all, you have a preference generally, of u like xbox u dont like ps3, and vice versa, I have a ps3 and not a 360, because a while ago my old xbox and ps2 and about 50 games got stolen from my house and I just never went back, xbpx is good, but I think ps3 is right up there too, esp with their online gaming, for example, warhawk, although it has many flaws its a wicked game, its got everything you need in a game, tanks, jets, people blowing up and lotsa guns, features I personally like with the ps3 is the insane download speeds I get, on the pc my downloads slow and suck big hairy balls, but on the ps3, I downloaded the gran turismo concept demo, which is about 750megs in about 15 to 20 minutes, speeds like that mean next to no lag on any server which is something I like alot, another thing that will see them shooting up in ranks is the release of the ps1 games on the playstation network, $5 bux to download the classics like crash 1 and wipeout etc etc then transfer them onto your psp and thats something great right there, as for the graphics, their on par with 360 but have potential to go much further, developers simply havent been able to utilise what the ps3 is capable of, which isnt a bad thing, it just means that the ps3 has a lot longer life than the 360 where games are starting to reach the capabilities of the machine itself, thats my 2 cents,

I have that on my Xbox 1. And about 50 other N64 games. Still fun to play. And still 4 player too.

Similar topic sort of.......What's playing computer games on a laptop with and xbox or xbox 360 controller compare too? Or any other wireless controller for that matter.

Cheers,

Mavrick

Been using my Xbox 360 control for GTR2 on the pc. Because the 360 control is already USB it is great. The thumb sticks are a bit touchy. But in the settings for the control you can adjust the dead zone so that it is a little less touchy. If you are going to get one for the pc. Get the 360 one. Its just plug and play. Althought the normal buttons are just analogue. Only the triggers and thumb sticks have full movement.

First Person Shooters, which are pretty much the only games worth playing, suck on console because you have no mouse. So, PC ftw!

Oh and also more onliners on PC

Edited by tire

you fail at the internet

What makes you say that?

And how does one fail at the internet anyway?

Edited by tire

Thanks for dredging up old threads...since you've done it, bought a Wii and that rocks everyones face with 4 player tennis, the remote is the best console device ever and is quite cool at FPS

Edited by Mr. Pink

Whats wrong with "dredging up an old thread"? The topic is still relevant..pc vs console

I'm TF2 mad for FPS at the mo, but that Super Mario Galaxy is what the Wii is all about IMO - sell it to me when you've finished it :)