Sign in to follow this  
Grant

My 5 Speed 328i

Hi All

Finally my Boston Green 328i SE is in a state that I think that it is presentable enough so show here.

It is NZ new, 5 speed, full leather, electric seats etc

I bought it completely sight unseen on trade me 4 months ago, and paid not much for it. It is fair to say that it had one or two problems. I knew that it needed a new clutch before I bought it, however I have needed to have a fair bit of work done to it to get it to a mechanical standard that I am happy with. Many thanks to Glenn at Botany Motor Works for his and his teams hard work and patience with me to get it back to a well running machine.

Here is a list of what I have done to it since getting it.

Mechanical Work

New clutch and dual mass flywheel etc

New camshaft position sensor

New valve cover + gaskets (original one was cracked and leaking oil)

New crankcase ventilator valve

New dipstick breather hose

New viscous coupling

Replace transmission and diff oil with synthetic

New headlight glass (I managed to put a 10c piece sized hole in one)

New radiator and fan shroud (as well as new coolant)

New alternator tensioner

New A/C tensioner

New drivebelts

New rear shock mounts

New lower ball joints

New reaction rod bushes

New bumpstops

All new filters (air, fuel, air con microfilter, oil)

New coil boots (three of the original six were completely stuffed)

New Bosch plugs (I am pretty sure the ones I removed had been in the car for many years)

Improvements

17 x 8 BBS RK’s shod in Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin’s

New Bilstein Sport shocks

New H&R Sport Springs

New Sony Ipod compatible headunit

35% Ash Cool Tinted Windows

I've probably missed out a few other bits and pieces of work done to it, but I can't remember everything.

Photos of are here:

post-43-1191029973_thumb.jpg

post-43-1191030011_thumb.jpg

post-43-1191030070_thumb.jpg

post-43-1191030095_thumb.jpg

post-43-1191030117_thumb.jpg

post-43-1191030139_thumb.jpg

post-43-1191030164_thumb.jpg

post-43-1191030186_thumb.jpg

post-43-1191030224_thumb.jpg

Edited by Grant

Stunning!! The nicest E36 I have seen for a while. A very small detraction that is sure to get me shot from some quarters is the number plate surround - imo it would look better with either a motorsport, BMW, or a plain surround. otherwise well done - a very nice looking car. the colour and depth of shine really set it apart.

Edited by ducatiss

She's looking good Grant (or is it a he?). I like the drop, just right, and very drivable on our roads. Any further plans for it?

nice work getting it up to a well oiled running machine! Most here would slap on the cosmetics crap and then worry how to pay for maintenance work when something breaks. :rolleyes:

What sythetic oil did you put in the gearbox

The invoice lists it as Elf G3 Synthetic Transmision Oil (Ask Glenn at Botany Motor Worx, he changed it for me).

A very small detraction that is sure to get me shot from some quarters is the number plate surround -

I knew that the number plate surround wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, but as I am a very staunch Waikato rugby supporter, it is staying (I put it on), even though it is pretty hard to support them at the moment with the rubbish rugby they have been playing as of late.

Very nice.

Any other mods in the future? :)

I don't really have any additional mods I want to do in any big hurry. I will probably get rid of the orange indicators and repace with clears, but nothing much more planned than that.

I will also get a couple of areas of paint tidied up as well at some stage (few stonechips, and minor scratches).

Cheers

Grant

What was the benefit you got from the fluid change?

There has been no noticable benefit (the car shifted fine beforehand), it was just done as part of the overall preventative maintenance on the car, for the sake of a few dollars, I'd much rather know that the fluid is in great shape.

Any BMW mechanic I have ever spoken too has said that the "lifetime" fluid claim is a joke, and it still should be changed periodically, as part of the normal maintenance regime.

Cheers

Grant

I like what you've done with it Grant. And to think that I almost brought that off my Dad but good to see that you've made look better than I could.

I like what you've done with it Grant. And to think that I almost brought that off my Dad but good to see that you've made look better than I could.

Cheers - it has come a long way.

What a transformation - well done g-unit. Looking hot.

G - U N I T !

When you getting the E30 back? I'm sure its getting lonely at Glenn's.

Cheers

Grant