Sign in to follow this  
jjs

Whats it worth?

Spotted a 94 540i manual NZ new for sale, in white with leather travelled 190kms. Above average condition.

What do you guys reckon its worth? The seller is open to offers

Spotted a 94 540i manual NZ new for sale, in white with leather travelled 190kms. Above average condition.

E34 or E39?

If it's the last of the E34s, then it's worth maybe $8-10k

Yeah thats what I was thinking. Some people want mega bucks for them, but I think ten is absolute tops.

Anything in particular to look out for?

Not off the top of my head, there are better people on here to answer your questions.

I had an E34 M5 and it was bullet proof, cost me nothing in 4 years ownership.

Avoid self leveling rear suspension, works well, expensive to fix.

If you like biggish cars, you can't go past the E34 for simplicity, reliability and power. A great car if you find one that has been well looked after. Not uncommon to have been to the moon and back though.

If you don`t want it I`ll buy.

Saves me converting one of my 540`s to man. for my drift car project.

Ray

0212HELLBM

if a manual should be six speed of course.I dont thin the 540or even the 540 is in NZ had the self levellng rear.Is it a 540is with the body kit and sports seats?There is a 130 000km one on trade me at the mo for 22,000 and the last couple of 540is in wellington about a year ago went for about 13000i guess if it isnt an IS a couple of grand less is about right.The V8 is slightly more difficult to work on the the in line sixes,but you get a very nice 210 kw of power and torque to match.

I dont thin the 540or even the 540 is in NZ had the self levellng rear.

Yep, only M5 I think. If you wanted to go higher, I know an M5 in really good nick was recently purchased in NZ for $18k.

Guest 540Si

I have a NZ New 94 E34 540is 6 speed too and I agree that around $10k is a good price. Mine looks pretty much the same as the one on trademe for $22K and although I have more k's I think that price is a bit steep.

Shares lots of bits with the M5 but no self-levelling rear here.

I know an M5 in really good nick was recently purchased in NZ for $18k.

Was that Bruces from Whangarei (on the car club site)?

Was that Bruces from Whangarei (on the car club site)?

That's interesting. I know Bruce pretty well and bumped into him at the Motorsport show in Manakau last weekend. He didn't mention his car was for sale, but see it for sale here. I thought he planned to keep it.

No, the car I refer to was bought by Adas Wolk off a guy in Huntly. Very tidy white English import.

7 - 8

Clowns, the lot of you!

Mine has Self-levelling rear suspension.

An excellent 540iS should be worth at least $15k.

Clowns, the lot of you!

If there are decent 540is's out there for 7-8 I'm all over it!

If anyone knows of any PM me please!

Edited by bezzal

Clowns, the lot of you!

Haha, I was wondering how long it would take for you to swallow, hook, line and sinker!! I thought you would be more at the $20k mark! :lol:

Clowns, the lot of you!

No offence, I understand they are rare, but you could buy a very nice E39 540i for that money. Wasn't the IS just a runout model?

Guest 540Si

No offence, I understand they are rare, but you could buy a very nice E39 540i for that money. Wasn't the IS just a runout model?

Ouch! I'm gonna try and get over that painful barb! :rolleyes:

For me, who'd love an E34 M5 - my 6 speed 540 is the next best thing - and I could just afford it!

I'm going to take back my comment about price too and agree with Cain - worth a good 15K due to the performance and rarity factor. Manual 6 E39 540 would be worth a tidy sum too

Look at me shooting my mouth off now!!!

An e39 540 manual for 15k.....what are you on son ?

An e39 540 manual for 15k.....what are you on son ?

Sorry, I meant to say auto. However, a mate of mine bought a manual NZ New one with schnitzer kit about six months ago for $21k

I hope I haven't offended anyone. I guess at the end of the day, what you value your pride and joy at is your decision. However, when wanting to sell something it is only worth what someone is willing to pay. Maybe there is someone out there who doesn't owna 540is that would pay $15k for one?

Would have to be a Minter I am afraid Cain....or someone who was specifically looking for a 540 IS.( ie six speed,mtech suspension, sports seats,all the options,etc)

Edited by kiwi535

It's hardly a run-out model. Big wheels and a spoiler would make a run-out.

A rare as rocking horse sh*t 6 speed manual stuck in there. You need to drive one. Only 5% of E34 were manual.

The 540iS is a lot easier to drive than the M5 (E34 both). The massive torque means that you don't have to rev it hard. I generally use 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 6th gears in normal round town driving and get under 11l/100km.

Yes, you'll pick up a 540i for less than $10k these days, but anyone who really likes driving won't buy an Auto. So Paul's comment is correct. Many people can't see why the 540iS is so much more of a car than the 540i. Plenty of people like Big Mac's too, it doesn't make them good.

I will agree that an E39 is better than an E34. If your mate got a good condition E39 540iS for $21k. He got a great deal.

your comments also apply to my car Cain,but i bet i would be lucky to get six,and its pretty mint,not perfect but pretty damn good.So i would be looking at say the best part of 10 to get a 540 is...even tho i know how nice they are it just doesnt add up...even for me.I have my eye on the 130 000 k one but it is way over the top at 22

Edited by kiwi535

Guest 540Si

your comments also apply to my car Cain,but i bet i would be lucky to get six,and its pretty mint,not perfect but pretty damn good.So i would be looking at say the best part of 10 to get a 540 is...even tho i know how nice they are it just doesnt add up...even for me.I have my eye on the 130 000 k one but it is way over the top at 22

I emailed that guy to ask about his car. Nice bloke, has had it since 17,000kms. Friend of his bought it new. He admitted he's not really sure what his car is worth but he had inquired with BMW and they told him there were only 6 NZ New 540is's. He's selling reluctantly too to buy a business vehicle.

I think he took his pricing cue from the e34 M5's on trademe at $25k. He's keen to sell to an enthusiast and sounds very negotiable on price.