Sign in to follow this  
$toffz

The right way to do it

Hi Folks,

Trawling through the threads the other day and I saw a post by someone in regards to being stopped at the lights and leaving the car in D while just putting your foot on the brake and that this is totally bad for the torque converter?

If so whats the right way to stay at the lights for a prolonged period of time? Put into Park? Neutral?

Cheers

Not "bad" just increases heat and wear on components and fluid life. Neutral and park are fine.

Edited by bravo

I am not sure how true this is but I have heard that constantly changing gears from D to N will also wear out some other bits in the gearbox. IMO the car would have been designed from the factory to run in D for short stops so I wouldn't worry but no doubt that it will be easier on the engine and gearbox if put into N. Should save some petrol but should be negligible.

I am not sure how true this is but I have heard that constantly changing gears from D to N will also wear out some other bits in the gearbox. IMO the car would have been designed from the factory to run in D for short stops so I wouldn't worry but no doubt that it will be easier on the engine and gearbox if put into N. Should save some petrol but should be negligible.

well put

Lies - it is better for the car in D

Lies - it is better for the car in D

Thankyou andrew- auto gearboxes are best left in D. it is recommended that autos arent run in neutral or park for very long at all. fact of life