Sign in to follow this  
martyyn

BM Workshop

that interior looks like the one in my mates old c-class merc, looks absolutely hideous!

Ive just heard back from the dealers and they want to sell me the car 'as-is' for a knock down price rather than do the work themselves. The reason being that they dont want to do the work and have me not be happy with the results.

They took it to Retro Enhancements today and what I reckon has happened is that Retro has said they can do everything but the center console and dash, or can do it but cant guarantee the results. Perhaps it wont stick, or perhaps it will wear off eventually, I dont know.

Ive called Retro but I cant speak to the people who saw the car because they are in a 'meeting' but one of the others said they could do the plastics no problem, but he was concerend about the dash.

Does anyone have any experience of trying to 'paint' the dash/center console ? Or does anyone know the guys at Retro Enhancements ? I know you do Josh, so Im keen to find out what you think about them.

Martyyn,

I really think you should put this one in the too hard basket...

Edited by JJS

Retro Products do pretty good work from what I've seen. NZ Autocar use them for all their work too.

Many guys in the US have dyed their interiors black, I think it's possible to do - only the vent pieces (if they are blue right now) will probably need to be replaced with black units.

I was gob-smacked because I didnt think it would be financially viable, but he said theyve had the car for months and no-one has shown any interest in it...cant think why !

On second thoughts, if you got the car cheap enough, im sure you could find a way to live with it. As it sits, I can see why the dealer is struggling with it - its sale proof!

Retrimming the seats in black leather and replacing the wood with silver inserts would make a big difference.

As for the blue dash, shouldn't be a problem later down the track when you go to sell. Some boy racer will love "coz it lks custom n sh*t"

I reckon you should hit him with a very low offer. The worst you can get back is "no"

"coz it lks custom n sh*t"

LOL :D

Yes perhaps the blue interior is a blessing in disguise, you may be able to get it cheaper than average even after a retrim. I second the brushed aluminium trim in the E39s, looks fantastic.

Ive just heard back from the dealers and they want to sell me the car 'as-is' for a knock down price rather than do the work themselves. The reason being that they dont want to do the work and have me not be happy with the results.

They took it to Retro Enhancements today and what I reckon has happened is that Retro has said they can do everything but the center console and dash, or can do it but cant guarantee the results. Perhaps it wont stick, or perhaps it will wear off eventually, I dont know.

Ive called Retro but I cant speak to the people who saw the car because they are in a 'meeting' but one of the others said they could do the plastics no problem, but he was concerend about the dash.

Does anyone have any experience of trying to 'paint' the dash/center console ? Or does anyone know the guys at Retro Enhancements ? I know you do Josh, so Im keen to find out what you think about them.

hmmm I have only done the leather / door cards and painted the dash inserts and door trim + gear knob with "Titanium Graphite" paint.

The Dash will be hard to paint and keep that colour .. but i spose if they can paint my inserts / gear knob and it not rub off then im sure it wont be a problem

Ill dart outside and grab some pics ... hold up

poo images ... but yeah you get the idea. (My dash and plastic console parts where all black to start with)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks Josh, its not the wood trim that Im worried about so much its how they would paint the dash and the plastic on the center console. Im trying to scope out the US forums now but other than finding kits to do it with, Im not having much luck

www.e46fanatics.com ... only place for e46 advice .. all others are sh*t .

Dont DIY it no matter what you do :D

Did some doorcards with really expensive paint from an upholsterer ( ~$40 each can) and followed everything he said to do... after about a month its goneburger.

yeah you will need it professionally prepped and applied ... Only thing is .. wtf are they going to do about the carpet ? ... Not saying any of this isn't possible .. but its gonna be a 6k job I reckon to get it done right.

Might be a walk away job.... why not just hit ten hove up from the site sponsor and see if he can get you something the same for the same price and in black interior ?

Thats FAB in the UK mate, I wonder what the postage on an interior would be !

And why not?

If you got a good bargain for the car, you can use the rest of your budget getting those from FAB.

Why don't you get a mate in the UK to buy you a nice E39 and send it down? Or from source one yourself from Japan.

Josh,

Ive spoken to Alex already and he said he cant get anything 2002 onwards. Ive been waiting for two weeks now for him to send me details on two tourings that he's bringing aswell....Im starting to think he doesnt want to sell me a car !

318Touring,

Ive thought about doing both. But with the way the exchange rate is at the moment I couldnt bring one in for less and Id be waiting for months. What you have to remember is the Jap cars for sale here now were bought months ago when the dollar was flying so they were an awful lot cheaper than they are now the dollar has settled.

There is no way I would try this myself but to be honest I think it would have to have the whole interior out, door cards off etc and would just cost too much money and be too much hassle.

Ill hit him with a ridiculous offer tomorrow and se what he says. You never know.

There is no way I would try this myself but to be honest I think it would have to have the whole interior out, door cards off etc and would just cost too much money and be too much hassle.

Ill hit him with a ridiculous offer tomorrow and se what he says. You never know.

Yeah. it'll be everything. Carpet, door cards and all the plastic bits at the front. Interesting project :-)

Good luck for tomorrow!!

Good luck with the offer Martyn.

Also just to clarify - I didn't mean that you should DIY this, was implying that if people could DIY, professionals should be able to do it even better. The seats and doorpanels don't take long to rip out, the dashboard would be the most hassle.

Have spoken at length today with the Dave the owner of Retro Enhancements. He said there is no way they could paint the plastic or carpets that would give a satisfactory result to themselves let alone me.

The only thing they could do would be to retrim the seats and the doorcard inserts in leather but everything else would remain blue.

Not sure I can even be bothered making an offer after hearing that :( I certainly dont fancy having to swap the entire interior including the carpet and a mixture of black leather and blue plastic just sounds all wrong.

I would look at importing one yourself through a dealer, the exact one you want. Dont settle for any less.

I can import one myself, Ive got two blokes at work who have done dozens of them (my boss is one of them!) but with the exchange rate now they are just as expensive as those already in the country and Im not sure I can wait the 2/3 months it takes to get it here :(

Ill have another look on the websites to see whats available.

I can import one myself, Ive got two blokes at work who have done dozens of them (my boss is one of them!) but with the exchange rate now they are just as expensive as those already in the country and Im not sure I can wait the 2/3 months it takes to get it here :(

Ill have another look on the websites to see whats available.

Is the blue really that bad? A mate of mine has an Audi with similar interior. It does grow on you!

What sought of offer were you thinking of making? If you could buy it somewhere in the mid to late twenties it would probably be the cheapest in the country!

Did you end up going any further with the silver 99 NZ 540 on TM? That looks like a very good buy.

There is also this 530i M/Sport listed recently (which im sure you have already seen)

I still like that Oxford Green touring at Coombes Johnston. At least Oxford Green + tan looks normal, and its a 540i!

Im not really going to know how bad the blue is until I see it in the flesh. But its bad enough for me not to want to come to Auckland to have a look. Ive seen blue in e32's and e34's and its terrible. The guy has offered it as-is for 30k but I wouldve expected to get it for that anyway even if it was black leather already.

The silver 540 is a good deal, but I really want something much newer if I can and with a few more toys. The 530 msport has not returned my calls and although I got more photos of the green 540 the dash is not a colour Im a fan of (neither is the wife) and he wouldnt entertain any thought of dropping the price.

The search goes on.