Sign in to follow this  
SIKE30

Manual Conversion Which fluid to use??

Hi guys I have just done a manual conversion on my 318i m10 e30 last weekend and im not sur which oil will be the best to use in it. Its a Getrag 5spd and is kinda hard to get into 1st and 3rd. I have noticed when im at the lights and going to take off I put it into 1st and it slips out into neutral.

plz any advice would be helpful. thank you

Hi guys I have just done a manual conversion on my 318i m10 e30 last weekend and im not sur which oil will be the best to use in it. Its a Getrag 5spd and is kinda hard to get into 1st and 3rd. I have noticed when im at the lights and going to take off I put it into 1st and it slips out into neutral.

plz any advice would be helpful. thank you

When i did the conversion in my car, i used generic ATF ( auto transmission fluid ) in my 5 speed. The gearbox was out of a 320i and a Getrag 240. That stuff has done me fine, even a BMW shop told me that the ATF i used was fine.

Strange aye, ATF in a manual transmission? Thats bmw for ya.

Slipping out of gear and not being able to get into 1st or 3rd to me sounds a little more like the gearbox shift linkage console isn't sitting right and is too low, most likely the console is not attached correctly at the end of it so you're not getting enough room to get the lever nto 1st or 3rd, fix this and you'll be right.

E: As for oil try and grab some Redline MTL, good synthetic stuff.

Edited by Carl

Don't think the fluid is your problem but you should be using SAE 80 API GL4 or equvalent fluid. ie your average, run of the mill manual trans fluid.

i was curious bout the ATF ?? Whats the story there is it better for your box?? I thought it'd be too thin?

Edited by QuickSilver

i was curious bout the ATF ?? Whats the story there is it better for your box?? I thought it'd be too thin?

Well i have read on the internet, and been told my various bmw mechanics that ATF is fine is many bmw gearboxs. I think the reason is because it doesnt actually really need its lubrication propertys, but only needs the fluid for the syncros. But thats just what a mechanic told me.

One guy who did a manual conversion told me his gearbox was really clunky when he originally put manual gearbox fluid in it, so he changed over the ATF and it was way better.