Sign in to follow this  
Andrew

Lexus Chief Engineer: BMW M3 provided benchmark for Lexus IS-F

Posted Image

The Lexus IS-F will be making its debut around the world early next year to take on rivals BMW M3, Audi RS4 and Mercedes C63 AMG. Powered by a 5.0 liter V8 engine, the rear-wheel-drive Lexus IS-F produces 417 horsepower and 371 lb-ft of torque. But what provided the benchmark for this superfast Lexus?

According to Yukihiko Yaguchi, chief engineer for the Lexus IS-F: Since we were coming after the M3, there were numerical targets we had to hit, but those were not my target. There were some critical 0-60 targets, but most important was that it be fun to drive.”

Yaguchi says that while the M3 is fun to someone who is looking for performance driving, the car may not be appealing to everyone.

“We wanted the IS-F to be fun to drive for everyone. We wanted all the people who love cars and enjoy driving to have the same experience. The skill level shouldn’t matter, whether you are a novice or a racer.

Umm yeah, isn’t that what the Lexus IS-350 is for? A novice or a racer looking for some fun. We’re still big fans of the M3, but would definitely give the IS-F a chance to prove itself when it hits markets next year.

Lexus is also planning a GS-F for the near future to rival the BMW M5. No techincal information has been released as of yet.

Lexus IS-F Gallery:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Yes, the same way your car looks like a 1903 Hupmobile. 4 wheels and a body. Otherwise, not at all.

Guest 540Si

It might just be my eyes, but does the Lexus IS not look an awful lot like a mid 1970s Datsun 120Y Saloon?

I was going to say Accord Euro - they've copied a Honda???

But yeah I think there's some 120Y inspiration there!

chief engineers should really not be PR people.

If my company moto was, We copied these guys .. and yea we arn't that good and we know it .. but you should buy ours because ....

nice marketing buddy.

I would always feel like im driving something not quite as good when driving a new lexus. Bit stupid really.

It might just be my eyes, but does the Lexus IS not look an awful lot like a mid 1970s Datsun 120Y Saloon?

No

My 1st car was a 120Y sedan... the lexus looks nothing like it.

post-1569-1194937923_thumb.jpg

120y.bmp

Edited by jimbo

Businesses in competing markets will always copy the market leaders. Lexus have simply acknowledged this.

I quite like it, would suit someone who wants a cheaper high-end car with a family and doesn't give a care about what people think.

Businesses in competing markets will always copy the market leaders. Lexus have simply acknowledged this.

I quite like it, would suit someone who wants a cheaper high-end car with a family and doesn't give a care about what people think.

I disagree. It will be purchased by estate agents.

I disagree. It will be purchased by estate agents.

That's pretty funny considering nearly every "successful" residential agent in Akld has an E36 or 318 E46. Should be a good upgrade for them.

I thought Chris Bangle had knocked out some ugly designs, but the Lex surpasses all of these with ease!

And we are still a long way from the day when BMW admits to using a Lexus as the benchmark for a new "M" car!...

Looks like the lovechild of a new STi and a Maxima.

If I had the cash, I wouldn't be putting that top of my list.

That's pretty funny considering nearly every "successful" residential agent in Akld has an E36 or 318 E46. Should be a good upgrade for them.

I'd happily fulfil your stereotype.