Sign in to follow this  
isnowi

E36 Diamond-schwarz coupe

I bought an E36 coupe after looking at many rough ones, i found a reasonably tidy 318is ( i originally was after a 6 cylinder, which would of been nice but the car is to be used every day as a commuter, and i think the 4 fits the bill a little better.)

Anyway its a diamond schwarz coupe, has ACS rear spoiler, type 2 17x8 acs rims, m3 front lip and mirrors, and motorsport bumpers and skirts. I don't know if it began life as a motorsport or if the bits were added later, suspension seems a little firmer than others i had driven, but doesn't seem to be any lower.

Anyway it has a few minor issues to sort through, front suspension being the biggest, has a few clunks and creaks and is scrubbing the inside edges of the tyres. I'm thinking bushes, will lift it up and have a good look.

The interior trim needs a tidy, it has the infamous sagging door material (any links to best way to repair) and needs an air con clean (is there a replaceable filter in the system?)

Anyhow, will post pics when the sun comes out. :unsure:

i have some parts for suspension etc .

Hey all, finally have some pic's. Also managed to ascertain that it left the factory as a motorsport, the ACS bits were added shortly thereafter all in one hit (wheels, spoiler, stickers/badges) also the wheels are type 1's not type 2's.

I put some new tyres on which instantly cured the tramilining and high speed nervousness, but i still have a small clunk at low speed during steering moments from the front left. I geuss it's a bush, or possibly the top bearing.

Not a minter by any means, but tidy enough for the money.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Plans are:

-fit M3 sport steering wheel (should be arriving on Monday)

-fit new stereo, something discreet up front, maybe a stacker too ,new set of components up front, and whats left out of my old Audi (infinty sub, alpine amp)

-fix up door linings, the infamous glue sag.... hoodlining is good though.

-oh and i need to replace the M3 badge in the side mouldings, i don't mind it being dressed as one, but claiming to actually be one is another matter altogether... :wacko:

Thanks, Dan

Edited by isnowi

Pictures aren't working?

They're working for me, looks real good.

Well done.

Nice car bro.... seems like it's having a bit of an identity crisis though! You can replace the badges in the side mouldings fairly easily, just pop off the moulding and they come out from the back. The dealer will sell you some new ones with either "M" or "Motorsport International" written on them, but I'm guessing they won't be cheap!

Technically your car is more Motorsport than ACS, so perhaps debadging is the way to go?

Nice car bro.... seems like it's having a bit of an identity crisis though! You can replace the badges in the side mouldings fairly easily, just pop off the moulding and they come out from the back. The dealer will sell you some new ones with either "M" or "Motorsport International" written on them, but I'm guessing they won't be cheap!

Technically your car is more Motorsport than ACS, so perhaps debadging is the way to go?

I quite like it with the acs stripe down the side, kinda makes the lines look a little different from all the other black coupes, although there aren't as many in diamond schwarz as there are in cosmos.

Anyway this one is much nicer than the other we were looking at, it was a montreal blue non m 318is, 1 year newer, with the same k's and a rougher body, and dreadful clear taillights for the same money.

I think i will swap out the side badges, anyone want to buy some genuine m3 side badges?

Cheers, Dan

Spent a bit of QT with the car today, fitted new rear shock mounts to try and solve the thumping in the suspension (fail)

Fitted a M spec 3 spoke steering wheel out of an M coupe, installed new Blaupunkt head unit, and made a start on a nice integrated sub box to house a 10" in the boot.

I have to say that althoug it looked really big and cumbersome off the car, the new steering wheel is a delight to drive with. Just a tad smaller in OD and slightly thicker in section. Only complaint is that it blocks the warning lights in the bottom of the cluster when it is up as high as it goes.

Anyhow, pics to follow.

Cheers, Dan

Is that a Mk2 Volkswagen Polo in the rear photograph? I remember one in the same colour sitting with smashed windows on the corner of Cuba and Jackson Streets in Petone a few years back- is it the same one?

Hey Dan, I can see the pics now, the car looks very nice. Looking forward to the pics of the interior. Speaking of components, if you're still looking for a set, give me a yell, have a very high quality set that will drop right in that isn't being used.

It's the same polo, ive had it for around 5 years, i bought it with a cracked window rego on hold, imported a new screen from Ze Fazerland, and drove it round (sans wof) gradually fixing it up to get it on the road as a daily. Then some punkasses smashed it up pretty good, and i put it into storage, pulled it out a couple of months ago, got some new glass for it and have it almost to the point of road worthy again. It's sitting on mirror polished p slots, has a Nardi wheel innit, and as soon as i get it running again and get the cambelt replaced will be breathing through GSXR750 carbs with an electronic ignition system i've put together (hopefully)

Then it may go up for sale to fund other endeavors...

Anyhow, pics of Bimmer loving from today.

New twirly wheel.

Posted Image

Stuffed rsm's.

Posted Image

Half a custom sub box.

Posted Image

again.

Posted Image

Enjoy, cheers, Dan

Hey Dan, I can see the pics now, the car looks very nice. Looking forward to the pics of the interior. Speaking of components, if you're still looking for a set, give me a yell, have a very high quality set that will drop right in that isn't being used.

I do still need some front components, have been looking toward either infinity perfect 5.1's (if Parallel imported ever stock them again) or more likely a set of infinity kappa 50.7 splits, or alpine type x 5 1/4's.

What do you have to offer? Amplification wise they will be receiving 75wrms of alpine goodness, and will be required to keep up both volume and sq wise with a single infinity perfect 10.1 receiving 300wrms of alpine goodness.

cheers, Dan

Nice sub location, will leave space for luggage. Are you building the box to the sub's recommended volume? And will you be putting an amp in?

Interesting coloured inserts on the steering wheel ;)

I do still need some front components, have been looking toward either infinity perfect 5.1's (if Parallel imported ever stock them again) or more likely a set of infinity kappa 50.7 splits, or alpine type x 5 1/4's.

What do you have to offer? Amplification wise they will be receiving 75wrms of alpine goodness, and will be required to keep up both volume and sq wise with a single infinity perfect 10.1 receiving 300wrms of alpine goodness.

cheers, Dan

Have a set of Focal Utopia components that will drop right into the E36. They've very good, but they aren't exactly in the same price bracket as those you've mentioned either. If you're interested shoot me a PM.

Nice sub location, will leave space for luggage. Are you building the box to the sub's recommended volume? And will you be putting an amp in?

Interesting coloured inserts on the steering wheel ;)

Box is about 10% above spec size at 18 litres instead of the recommended 16, i can reduce it later with 'ballast' if i need to. Amp will be mounted upside down to the underside of the rear deck, Nicely hidden out of the way.

The inserts were to match the blue/black leather in a Z3 coupe. Theres a pair on these forums at the mo. Was thinking about refinishing them, but not sure in what, besides it matches the blue diamonds on the upholstery fairly well. Carbon fibre would be cool, if a little flashy...

cheers, Dan

looks mint bro but i reckon ditch the blue inserts get them black you wont go wrong

Nice sub install bro, if your looking at some components in another (slightly cheaper) league I've got Earthquake 6.5 splits and infinity kappa splits bewing powered by about 70w of JVC ampage. Both fitted in pretty much perfect.

Nice ride too bro cant go wrong with black and ACS

Progress report:

Rear of box is now made out of FG, looks a little haggard, and has a few air bubbles to remove. Nothing that a mud load of resin won't fix.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also managed to get rid of hte thump in the front suspension, turned out to be warn and loose, and moved sway bar links.

Cheers, Dan

hey mate how much would you be after to make me a sub box identical?

LOL, i was wondering how long till someone asked. I suppose i could take a mold of this one when it's finished and produce a very basic one for around $400 mark, most of the cost is the fibreglass. If i were to do it they would be raw fibreglass (no carpet, not paint ready) and the front baffle wouldn't be recessed like mine is, because not all 10" subs are created equal.

Cheers, Dan

looking good man,what'd you use to mould the CSM? looks pretty tidy.

Hey how much was the steering wheel and where did you get it from? I want to get the same wheel for mine but can't find any!

Cheers Greg.

Rear of mold was made over the top of the existing boot panels, just used lots of masking tape and tinfoil in order to get it to release nicely. I may do another one as i am not too happy with some of the fibreglass work on this one, couple of thin spots etc.

The steering wheel came from trademe of all places, i got an absolute bargain, $150 including airbag and slip ring, all i had to buy extra was a new bracket from BMW to enable the slipring to work properly.

If you do track one done be a little careful to get one with the right airbag, there were 2 types, a single stage and a 2 stage system each is not compatible with the other. AFAIK m3's (e36) all have a single stage system, and the z3's have a single stage system up till 4/1999 then they had a 2 stage airbag.

My wheel came from a 99 M coupe luckily it was an early 99 build.

Cheers, Dan