Sign in to follow this  
red01

FIA ratifies ten-year F1 engine freeze

Was reading one of my forums and this article was posted, thought you guys might be interested.

All I have to say is WTF

FIA has just announced a 10-year ban on engine development in Formula One. Teams will have to submit an engine to FIA by March 31, 2008, which they will then have to use through 2017. Speaking about the decision, FIA President Max Mosley said, "There is no need to develop an F1 engine any further. The engine runs at 19,000 rpm, which is far faster than any comparable engine. It sounds good, it's reliable and amazingly the six partially frozen engines of the current manufacturers are really evenly matched."

Really? man thats a big call and kind of takes a bit of the fun out of things, what about new manufacturers wanting to get into F1? Will they have to base there engines on the blocks of the others? i guess its to keep costs down

I wonder if this will effect road cars in the future.

Dont understand a decision like this. What if one design has a flaw. Are they allowed to change it? Or do they have to come last for 10 years. Wonder how many teams will pull out.

What about new technology!! In 2017 they wont have any race tested/proven ideas etc...

What about new technology!! In 2017 they wont have any race tested/proven ideas etc...

Its true that F1 has been a very the leading edge of the motorsport world, with such rapid expansions to technologies, the rules become very grey in many areas.

I believe some form of restriction such as this is a liable solution. BUT 10 YEARS IS TOO MUCH!!!

Dont get me wrong, I would think somewhere around 3 years is reasonable....

i think the point they are trying to make is that the cars are becoming to fast, to a point where its becoming dangerous for the drivers and u need the reflex's of a jedi to be able to drive them. but in saying that i also think 10 years is to long

No, it's not a rumour.

They are also clamping on windtunnel time and limiting teams to only one wind tunnel.

As to new teams, they are trying to get the top teams to supply customer cars to the lower echelon to reduce development costs.

gay - I want F1 to be an ABOSOLUTE waste of money and large cause of global warming. It should be about stupidly fast cars with jedi skills drivers and heaps of development.

I guess by the time the current F1 engine tech makes its way into production cars, gasoline will be dead.

But agreed, waste money, warm globe, remove driver aids.

A1 just keeps looking better.

F1, they have a carbon footprint to be proud of :)

Edited by GIJoel

They shouldn't freeze engine developement, they should start to limit the ammount of fuel the cars can use by say 5% per year over the next 10 years. This would get trhe F1 guys to focus on developing hi performance with a lower carbon footprint. I'm sure they would come up with innovations that would be applicable to the real world!

BTW I went to the F1 in Monaco this year - OMG they are loud. The sound penetrates every fibre of your being, my back pack was visibly shaking from the sopund - wow. I can't wait to go to another - maybe Melbourne this time.

Thats a good idea. Start restricting certain aspects of the cars to force them to go more eco. Then the tech from that may trickle into production cars.