Sign in to follow this  
BimmerMSport

MSport Badge

What should the genuine 525i motorsport badge look like? Why do some used cars not have any badge on the boot? So if the Motorsport badge is missing, does it mean that it is not a genuine motorsport car? Please enlighten me. Thanks. :)

What should the genuine 525i motorsport badge look like? Why do some used cars not have any badge on the boot? So if the Motorsport badge is missing, does it mean that it is not a genuine motorsport car? Please enlighten me. Thanks. :)

M// badges were placed on by dealers... not to mention could of been shifted or removed by panel beaters also.

The trick is to look at the VIN, they will state whether a car is genuine or not.

If you stick a Honda badge on a Merc, does it become a Honda?

M// badges were placed on by dealers... not to mention could of been shifted or removed by panel beaters also.

The trick is to look at the VIN, they will state whether a car is genuine or not.

If you stick a Honda badge on a Merc, does it become a Honda?

Can you give me a link to a picture of what a genuine Msport badge should look like. Why do some of them just have 3 stripes and an M & others have 3 stripes with an M3?

Can you give me a link to a picture of what a genuine Msport badge should look like. Why do some of them just have 3 stripes and an M & others have 3 stripes with an M3?

lol M3 refers to the actual M3 model, not because of the three stripes.

Haha, M3 badge on a 5 series! Putting one on a bog standard 318 is bad enough, but onto a 5 series?? <_<

As you are a new member i'll try explaining.

A salesmen working in a BMW dealership has a client who wants to by a 525, the salesmen then manages to sell an upgrade kit to the client and tells him the car will be ordered from the factory if not in stock. The standard for the Motorsport and the things to look for are (regardless if it has a badge or not) M-Sport suspension and brake package (the M-Sport car should be approx 25-30mm lower than a standard model) M-Sport Alloy wheels, (obviously its easy to add or remove these so not to be relied on) The Interior should consist of sports seats and in most cases a 3 spoke steering wheel (this may have a M logo on it). I personally would look for these items rather than rely on wether it has a M boot badge or not.

If it is an M3 or M5 then that is a totally different animal with a different set up altogether including engine. No standard BMW or M-sport for that matter should wear the M3 or M5 badge.

Edited by NZPOM

A salesmen working in a BMW dealership has a client who wants to by a 525, the salesmen then manages to sell an upgrade kit to the client and tells him the car will be ordered from the factory if not in stock. The standard for the Motorsport and the things to look for are (regardless if it has a badge or not) M-Sport suspension and brake package (the M-Sport car should be approx 25-30mm lower than a standard model) M-Sport Alloy wheels, (obviously its easy to add or remove these so not to be relied on) The Interior should consist of sports seats and in most cases a 3 spoke steering wheel (this may have a M logo on it). I personally would look for these items rather than rely on wether it has a M boot badge or not.

If it is an M3 or M5 then that is a totally different animal with a different set up altogether including engine. No standard BMW or M-sport for that matter should wear the M3 or M5 badge.

Now that was extremely helpful. I am enlightened. Thank you so much. :-)

As the previous member mentioned BMW dealers will sell upgrade M-Sport kit to lower the car, wheels, brakes, body-kit so it is just like the actual M-Sport (if all the kits were ordered then it does become a genuine M-Sport) or some owners will actually get these upgraded M-Sport kit and some will mimic the look with new wheels and suspensions etc. One of the things that most people do not change is the window trim (the silver chrome around the windows) actual M-Sport vehicles have black/shadowline chrome not silver. This is the easiest/quickest way to spot a mimicked M-Sport however the only fool proof way to tell if it is an M-Sport will be the VIN as another member suggested.

Now if it is not a genuine M-Sport then it might not have

1) High-stall torque converter - make the engine spin faster and use more gas :)

2) Performance rear axle ratio - car is always in lower gear, higher rpm and more torque

3) Anti-sway bars might still be the same if people only change springs & shocks

All of these information comes from www.kenrockwell.com who is a photographic equipment reviewer and it just so happens this engineer loves his cars too.

Just a gentle reminder that M-Sport will always use more gas compared to standard ones :)

Just a gentle reminder that M-Sport will always use more gas compared to standard ones :)

I am not sure if that is true for certain models (perhaps in certain countries) where the M-Sport cars get different differentials or other engine bits, but AFAIK M-Sport cars only have a different trim level and suspension, the engine remains the same as a non-M-Sport. Therefore fuel consumption should be the same, not taking into account the change in aerodynamics (better) or different wheels (usually the M-Sports come with bigger wheels and wider tyres).

That's assuming you don't drive the M-Sport harder, might have more of a lead foot with the better suspension :D

Do you mean the door mouldings? I included that under 'trim level'. But I don't think it applies to every model, ie: E39 mouldings on M and non-M are the same. But I could be wrong.

Do you mean the door mouldings? I included that under 'trim level'. But I don't think it applies to every model, ie: E39 mouldings on M and non-M are the same. But I could be wrong.

the 3 Series are def different lol...as far as I know...

I am not sure if that is true for certain models (perhaps in certain countries) where the M-Sport cars get different differentials or other engine bits, but AFAIK M-Sport cars only have a different trim level and suspension, the engine remains the same as a non-M-Sport. Therefore fuel consumption should be the same, not taking into account the change in aerodynamics (better) or different wheels (usually the M-Sports come with bigger wheels and wider tyres).

That's assuming you don't drive the M-Sport harder, might have more of a lead foot with the better suspension :D

x2

Right on the money Yuen

the 3 Series are def different lol...as far as I know...

yep yep definitely different for E36s, M-Sport cars have fat door mouldings with ///M badges on them...

post-381-1198823272_thumb.jpg

Correct.

This is a topic close to my heart as it is one of my pet hates, seeing 'M' bages on cars that are not genuine BMW Motorsport vehicles.

Too many 318i about with an 'M' badge, or even 'M3' badge on the boot. This is only cheapening the brand, and devaluing a genuine car IMHO.

For the BMW fan it is possible to spot the difference but your average car person or joe public will not know the difference and assume they are all equal.

At the end of the day, the 'M' badge is a statement of performance and exclusivity to be desired, why else would people be producing knock offs and sticking them on any old 3-series?

Obviously the genuine factory models, M1, M3, M5, M6 should have the badge, plus the limited factory productions of M325i, M535i, etc. Personally I think that even a 330i Motorsport should not have an 'M' badge, or possible a different version of same as it is not a fully worked M-sport car. A standard model that has been dealer ordered with some Motorsport upgrades, kit, etc. definately no, any other car added later on, again no.

Putting an 'M' badge on a 318i is a crime that should deny the owner the right to drive a Beemer, and people that put M3 badges on a 318i should be shot at dawn for such a crime.

Purely my opinion, feel free to dis-agree, but when you have yearned for an M3 since the first E30 model hit the roads two decades ago you tend to feel strongly about such matters, or is it just me?

This is a topic close to my heart as it is one of my pet hates, seeing 'M' bages on cars that are not genuine BMW Motorsport vehicles.

I agree to some extent,however as my car is a "proper" m sport car i feel i should some way of showing it....the prevalance of //m bages on every BMW actually convinced me to take mine OFF.The seats shadowline etc speak for themselves....

I agree to some extent,however as my car is a "proper" m sport car i feel i should some way of showing it....the prevalance of //m bages on every BMW actually convinced me to take mine OFF.The seats shadowline etc speak for themselves....

There's some copies around these days that look more authentic than the originals now, because some of the genuine M3 and M5 cars have themselves been modified too, just to confuse things even more. I've done the same thing with our E36 M3, having changed the front indicators and side repeaters with ""clears" and the rear taillights with the clear indicators as per the Evo M3. (The originals are still in a box on the shelf!)

Personally I don't have a problem with the fake thing happening. It's what people aspire to own, and as long as buyers do their homework whan a fake is sold, no harm is done. However, deliberate misrepresentation or fraud is a different thing, and I don't suggest for a moment that anyone should do that.

But I do object to being told what I can or can't do with my own vehicles though, and would resist any attempt by a third party to do so. While I personally couldn't put an M3 badge on a 316 other than as a joke, if others want to do that...go right ahead.

:>)

So I have just brought an 1985 E30 323i. It has a M badge on the grill, and an M badge for the tail gate (its in the glovebox at the moment) and no other badges except for the BMW circle ones. Its a manual, im pretty sure its got the close ratio box (1-3 are all really close 4th feels quite tall but is probably 1:1 and 5th results in about 2.5k rpm at 110kmh), and seems to have an LSD, havent jacked it up and done the tried and true method yet, but it def spins both wheels :D.

Suspension wise i wouldnt have a clue as it handles like a sack with the koozed shocks it has currently. Its on the BBS style wire looking 15" wheels. Interior wise it seems to be very run of the mill, cloth interior, electrics, sunroof, 4 spoked wheel, I dont think they are sports seats (but they currently sit like bucket seats as all the springs are broken.....)

What options where availible to the NZ new e30 buyer back in 1985, what does one check the vin codes against to see how she originally came outta the box?