Sign in to follow this  
mark247

ATE and Girling brake pads

Simple question: Do ATE and Girling have the same brake pads on a E30 325i?

The reason i ask this is because i just bought both front and rear pads for my car in the United States ( im here on holiday ) and my car is a German made NZ new and i have no idea what brake set up i have. My car is a 1986 ( actually made in september 85 ) and i asked for pads for a 1987 ( earliest 325i's to come to the USA ) at Pep Boys ( Kinda like BNT auto stores just bigger ), they said they would fit my car but from what i have read this evening there are two makes of calipers. I dont want to go home with the wrong pads so your help would be much appreciated!

Mark

I'm fairly sure all the pads are the same.

Just come back to NZ, go to the dealer and buy a set of genuine BMW pads. they are much better quality I imagine. use your chassis number to find em

Just come back to NZ, go to the dealer and buy a set of genuine BMW pads. they are much better quality I imagine. use your chassis number to find em

Lol hell no. NZ is overpriced on anything decent. I am not going to Repco and paying $70 for a heap of crap pads or $120 at a dealer for some below average pads that will burn out in a few laps at a track day. I got Hawk HPS pads for the front which are WAY better than stock. The stock pads for e30s are shite!!! For the rear i got Raybestas PG Plus which are good but not as good as Hawks. I did a a lot of research on e30tech and they said the Hawk HP plus pads were awesome, but they need to be hot and they screech like no tomorrow and dust like hell to, but they stop awesomely. the Hawk HPS is more a street / track pad where there performance when cold is better.

Since i posted this i found out they will fit. I did some research and the only difference between the girling and ATE calipers is the sliding pin, meaning the pads are identical. So im not going to return them. I got spark plugs here as well, just NGK's which actually are ment to be quite good in the m20 engine. They were $2 each.

haha....have you ever been to the dealer for pads??

they are $50 for a set of fronts...and with good (stock) discs and newish pads, you wont get brake fade on the track. multiple laps of puke were fine with me with my faster than stock M325i. and my stock brakes. do some research.

Your on the brakes too much if you kill stock ones that easily.

I did my first season on stock pads, no sign of fade, only used twice per lap at Puke.

haha....have you ever been to the dealer for pads??

they are $50 for a set of fronts...and with good (stock) discs and newish pads, you wont get brake fade on the track. multiple laps of puke were fine with me with my faster than stock M325i. and my stock brakes. do some research.

Sorry if it seemed i was having a go at you before, was not intended. I did do research. From what I read on e30tech, r3vlimited, and bimmerforums the Hawk pads are a vast improvement over stock. I didn't just make that up. The only experience I have had with stock pads is minor brake fade when braking hard, but i have read a lot on forums and found a lot of people have found a vast improvement with Hawk's in the States so I am going to go with them if they are to be cheaper and better.

Your on the brakes too much if you kill stock ones that easily.

Quite possibly, i read it, i didnt do it. Maybe a few laps is an exageration, one track day burnt them out.

Genuine E30 front disc pads are $90.44 + GST...retail

Oh ok, i just guessed $120 because i know genuine bmw is expensiveish.

Pagid is the make for the genuine oem brake pads. They are ment to be a good street pad, but and are a simular price to the Hawks HPS. I take back saying stock pads were crap. I thought they were just cheap pads, my mistake!

Edited by Mark247