Sign in to follow this  
danthaman01

Air Intake Thoughts

Hey guys and girls, im having thoughts about upgrading the standard intake in my 92 325 e36, i have seen a few options but now iv hit confusion on what to do so i wouldnt mind some opinions and advice from the lovely bimmersport community (thats you guys and girls) soooooo this is what i was thinking to give my 325 a bit more vrooooooom

eitha a KandN or Simota pod filter pipped with this simota heat sheild over the top whats the verdict yay or nay?

post-2550-1201046927_thumb.jpg

I find heat sheilds are a bandaid to cover a pimple.

Looks good on the outside but the problem is still there.

Do it once, get an airbox made.

Do the exhaust first.... you'll get far more gains. Or as has been said, get a proper airbox fabbed up rather than just a heat shield.

Yip get a proper cold air box made mate. Those simota ones are crap

Do the exhaust first.... you'll get far more gains.

ok sweet az what should i be looking for in the exhaust as i see you have a 325 what do you recommend?

Exhaust + K&N Filter Panel.

Exhaust + K&N Filter Panel.

yes the K&N panels are really good for road cars, more affordable too. keep it clean though.

ok sweet az what should i be looking for in the exhaust as i see you have a 325 what do you recommend?

I've been focussing on cosmetic mods, so haven't waded too deep into researching the performance side of things, but I've heard good things about Remus and Supersprint exhausts.

would you put a loud exhaust on a auto or is your car manual , you could go panel filter but then you would get no sound , for a decent pod setup with cold air box your looking at 250 including everything you need , if you go through the performance posts you should find what you are looking for

just my 2c

Yip get a proper cold air box made mate. Those simota ones are crap

+1,

heat shield is a waste bru. I made my cold air box out of an old PC case. It came out really nice & neat if you take your time to build it.

Edited by Kpax

so the verdict is get a full exhaust system done (headers pipes and muffler) then move onto a nice air box with a high flowing poddy and we should be good to go?

would you put a loud exhaust on a auto or is your car manual , you could go panel filter but then you would get no sound , for a decent pod setup with cold air box your looking at 250 including everything you need , if you go through the performance posts you should find what you are looking for

just my 2c

Dont agree with you there, a guy I know with an E30 325 had a K&N panel filter in his standard cold air box with that director thing taken out and plumbed further down...sounds fricken tuff.

You got it, although the Pod may still just give you more noise after the pipe job because you will struggle to get a really good cold air supply and higher flow.

Pay more attention to the exhaust and you may get what you could get out of a pod but without the drama and noise - unless of course you want the noise in which case just cut the front out of the standard air box and throw the snout away, equal or better than most "performance pods".

My 2 cents...

De-cat, stick a coby in, and cold airbox

Ive done the de-cat and coby, but only using a pod

Im in a '94 325iA. Makes a nice rumble around town- no real ghey droney auto noise to speak of. Going hard, it sounds pretty mental, the way the gearbox shifts- like a manual being flatshifted. Wheee!

Not TOOO sure how much diff the CAI would make over a pod, altho most 95% of my drivings on the open road so probly not too much hot air under there to get sucked in

Tell ya what. I did the pod 1st- took her for a test, 5 people in the car, and she was still noticably faster. Then the coby, and just by myself she was a bit quicker again, but im not sure if the performance jump was as big as shoving the pod on

temp sensors just dangling there. doesnt seem to be confusing the computer by not being directly in the airflow- but a CAI system would have a place for the temp probe to go in so id advise that as your best bet

phew, what a flippin novel...

headers should be interesting :D may be pricey tho. I went for two very cheap and easy mods... didnt want to be throwing too much money at her to go faster

LOL btw... don't try using no air filter at all. I tried that, and she kept conking out :D

LOL! i just took whole air box off and slapped a pod filter on, works great.

LOL! i just took whole air box off and slapped a pod filter on, works great.

great? i didnt know worse than stock was considered "great"

all you will be doing is sucking in hot air, which isnt good.

Don't f**k around and just buy a proper Carbon Air box from germany and re tune your chip, you get the sound and results that your looking for your car!! Otherwise you end up like the dorks in ricers.