Sign in to follow this  
GLIDN

Your Thoughts on E46 M320d

What are peoples opinion on these?

I drove one today, al though it's the first BMW i have driven. I was dissapointed and impressed at the same time.

It's the one on trademe at the moment. The interior has had no care taken of it at all.

What would the m tech interior replacement be worth? and i mean front seats rear seats and all 4 door skins?

Post the link up here. New replacment interior from BMW would be A LOT! A better option would be to get the seats re-trimed.

your looking (if you can find it second hand) about 5 - 6k for seats and trim for an e46

otherwise just retrim ... retro vehicle enchancements in greylynn = 2500 - 3000k depending on the leather your want.

2500k option is still better then stock BMW leather .. so you can loose.

what were you disappointed with?

my advice would be to buy a nice one...makes buying cars much easier!

um the car does not have leather, it alcantara interior

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-129295554.htm

as for being dissapointed - it was not really fun to drive at all. But it appeared to handle nicely and was farely quiet.

So good for some and trade off of another.

What would a CHIP cost for one of these ?

Do superchip do one for these cars? - i guess i'll try and find out.

I guess maybe the car is not worth it's 18'995 price. As all 4 tyres have to be replaced and all 4 shocks and not to mention the interior needs tidying up.

Hmm

Thought that was that one you were referring to.

Doesn't look too bad from the photos. But 150k is a lot in my books for a 2000 model car.

Superchips are pretty expensive 1k and up, i believe.

they can be chipped the uk has places....thats actually quite a nice spec car maybe it can be cleaned professionally,not many of the deisels seem to have the sports seats...

The deisels can be deceptively quick...but yeah the 530 d i drove was quite impressive but also kinda boring....very linear power band

its a 320d...designed to be an economy beater really...it really is not going to be huge exciting to drive is it?

they cant be chipped, and get some really good gains.

it does sound thrashed..buy a nice one. shocks are strange to be gone..tyres are normal part of buying a car (maybe not dealer quality)

being manual is nice though....why is it 5spd?? the 320d's over in the UK are 6speed

um the car does not have leather, it alcantara interior

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-129295554.htm

as for being dissapointed - it was not really fun to drive at all. But it appeared to handle nicely and was farely quiet.

So good for some and trade off of another.

What would a CHIP cost for one of these ?

Do superchip do one for these cars? - i guess i'll try and find out.

I guess maybe the car is not worth it's 18'995 price. As all 4 tyres have to be replaced and all 4 shocks and not to mention the interior needs tidying up.

Hmm

Can easily get it on the dyno and make more power at Hi Velocity - a main forum sponsor. Better than a pre-made chip as it is for your car.

Having said that - no diesels are fun to drive. It is the fuel of the devil.

Having said that - no diesels are fun to drive. It is the fuel of the devil.

Our Mazda Bounty Ute at work(flatdeck) is quite fun,quite noticeable turbo boost,and if you get the timing and revs just right it absolutely launches out of slowish corners.....and is quite a hoot from traffic lights,thats it though....

its a 320d...designed to be an economy beater really...it really is not going to be huge exciting to drive is it?

they cant be chipped, and get some really good gains.

it does sound thrashed..buy a nice one. shocks are strange to be gone..tyres are normal part of buying a car (maybe not dealer quality)

being manual is nice though....why is it 5spd?? the 320d's over in the UK are 6speed

IT strange that you say it cannot be chipped with enough gain?

If i compare it to the likes of a 110hp TDI golf of same year.

standard they are 110hp and 257nm torque @ 1800rpm

Chipped they got to 170ish HP and 360nm torque @ 1700rpm

And they are damn fast too.

As for the shocks i was saying. When you pull away. The nose would lift up apporx a good 2 or 3 inches the bum would drop about that much and sway back and forth on gear changes.

it also appeared to get 3rd gear stuck when ever you slowing down.

nice spotting, i missed that myself. i added an extra t. most diesel turbos get great gains from a simple re-chip

shocks sound buggered..when you push the car down does it bounce? thats a fairly easy shock test. yours sounds more comprehensive though!

why are you going for a 320d? fuel economy i hear is good...my cousin gets 57 mpg on his

That’s a nice BMW Henie! Looks smart in silver with the M-Tech kit, the price looks ok too.

Kurt at ChipTuning claims a 21kw increase in power and a 50nm increase in torque, not a bad gain for $1,100 in my books, with a couple more mods it’ll be pushing 140kw and nearly 400nm!

I would have thought 150,000km is average for a NZ New car? That’s only 18,750km a year. Cracks me up when people judge a car on its KM’s, a NZ new car that has done 200,000km with a full service history is worth more to me than a Japanese abused import with no history what so ever.

It looks ok to me, though I have no idea about the price. FWIW, I think I read somewhere that the E46 320d was BMW's best selling E46 in the UK.

I would have thought 150,000km is average for a NZ New car? That’s only 18,750km a year. Cracks me up when people judge a car on its KM’s, a NZ new car that has done 200,000km with a full service history is worth more to me than a Japanese abused import with no history what so ever.

I'm not at all judging it on its ks, i'm just saying that they're high for a 2000 model car. If the car was in good condition with FSH, etc. I would not hesitate to buy a car with that many k's. There are many pre 2000 model BMW's out there with less that 100k on the clock, thats why I made the comment that they were getting high for the age of the car. Also how those k's were driven up has a lot to do with it. Whether they were done on the open road or in traffic jams. One is alright while the other could have impacts.

this car has no service history to come with it. But i guess you could trace it back from the previous owner.

Hmm, i guess i'm just after something different from everyone else i guess.

I generally do not like to have a car that there are many of. But i guess that the car has so many things that for myself would need attention. I will not by buying it at all.

One other thing i remember the yard told me is that they had to spend $3000 on paint and panel work and re wrapping the steering wheel.

I guess i just wanted some info and thoughts of others about these cars.

Thought that was that one you were referring to.

Doesn't look too bad from the photos. But 150k is a lot in my books for a 2000 model car.

Superchips are pretty expensive 1k and up, i believe.

As said, 150k on a 7/8 year old car is not ridiculous - we bought a 2003 Mazda 6 last May (4 years old) with 133k on the clock. Now done 144k, have not had to do anything in the year, now due for a service and not expecting any problems.

High k's diesel probably means someone long distance commuting every day.

Have heard that chipped diesels can go bang pretty quickly if done wrong - think it was in relation to 330d's, but may well apply to others.

Nic

I just can tell you, 150k is nothing for a Diesel. They run twice the distance without any engine problems.

Regarding the BMW engine, the 320d (before facelift) has 310NM available. If you want that on a petrol car, you'd need at least a V6 with a 3l engine, or even bigger, to have the same torque available.

The petrol consumption is between 6 and 8l max. You'll never do that with a petrol car. The only drawback is that the 2000 model has only 136HP, but you cannot go faster than 100 anyhow (legally). It accelerates better than any other comparable petrol car and that's what makes it so interesting.

Good mileage, sufficient top speed (>210) and top accelaration between 80 and 120.

You just should be sure that the car has been services regularly, otherwise you could have problems with the fuel injectors or the turbo.

Hey Guys,

The one thing to look out for on the 2.0 desiel is a problem that seems to be coming up in UK, there is a flap in the intake manifold that fails and goes straight into the engine with predictable results...... this appears to be happening on e46 at anywhere from 100k to 160k, thats kms not miles. Currently BMW are ignoring the issue, the only fix is to replace the manifold unit, and this is not a guaranteed fix as the design fault is still there, this issue seems to be coming up in high milage 3.0 desiels also, but only in the e46, so must be the manifold design and the fact that it is not overly durable plastic..............

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED !!

Go for it at the right money but change the intake asap................

Cheers

Grant

Yeah 150000kms are nothing for diesels you are correct there.

As for high kms to the year of the car not that big a deal.

But guaranteed you cannot compare reliablilty of a BMW to a Mazda??

can you. Are BMW reliable?

I personally have no idea. As i have never owned a BMW.

Did you end up buying this car?

Diesels are super desirable, and this one looks like a very good buy. Would be suprised if it is still on the yard

Did you end up buying this car?

Diesels are super desirable, and this one looks like a very good buy. Would be suprised if it is still on the yard

No i did not buy the car, i would have had to spend at least another $2500 - $3500 to be happy with it being sound and safe that is. As far as i know yes it's still on the yard.

for that price of the car plus another $3000 i would rather get into a 330ci TBH.

No i did not buy the car, i would have had to spend at least another $2500 - $3500 to be happy with it being sound and safe that is. As far as i know yes it's still on the yard.

for that price of the car plus another $3000 i would rather get into a 330ci TBH.

I see...

Sorry didn't read the topic throughly enough. The price as sits seemed like a very good buy for a diesel, but I agree there is no point going forward if it is rough / needs money spent on it.

Got your eye on any 330's?

I see...

Sorry didn't read the topic throughly enough. The price as sits seemed like a very good buy for a diesel, but I agree there is no point going forward if it is rough / needs money spent on it.

Got your eye on any 330's?

No 330 in mind at this stage. Need to ge trid of my cars first and get a house than will look at some options. This is the only BMW i have ever driven so still not to sure what will bge my next car, but BMW is i option at this stage.