Sign in to follow this  
my_e36

How to keep tyres black?

As topic

I park my car outdoor with a lot of sun shine hours, it doesn't seem to matter what I use, the tyres goes dull and brownish quite quickly (a week or so).

I've tried a few products, silicone spray, ArmourAll Tyre Gel, Plastic Trim Spray/gel, Tyre Shine spray (also tried apply those by brush) which none of those seem satisfactory. Either they don't stay black for very long or they splatter all over the mud guard and bumpers (even when I let it set overnight).

What does the pro or trade use?

do a burnout

i used meguiars tyre foam..but nothing tends to last that long.

There is a product from Supercheap called "Export quality tyre shine", $4.99, its a big blue spray can, I've used it for ages ... I guess its like a silicon wheel spray, its the sh*t

There is a product from Supercheap called "Export quality tyre shine", $4.99, its a big blue spray can, I've used it for ages ... I guess its like a silicon wheel spray, its the sh*t

It's Australian. It's brill.

Edited by JP

I use the Supercheap one coz its cheap. Doesn't last any more or less long than the other products, but is 40% of the price.

I use Turtle Wax Deep Black tyre shine. It's a silicon-based spray but stays on fairly well. If you don't want it to splash up over your mudguards and bumpers just wipe the excess off with an old towel.

I use the Car-fe. They keep the black bits black, the green bits green, the interior nicely vacuumed and clean, and the windows nice and see through. All while I have a coffee and read the newspaper.

Last week when I was in there, on the forecourt was a new M6, a V10 M5, and my car all at the same time (I was badly letting the side down).

Cheers

Grant

It's Australian. It's brill.

x3 we even use it at work!

Edited by zenetti

I use the Car-fe.

They are not cheap and they take forever, every time I go there is an hour minimum wait even for the most basic combo.

I rather do that myself.

Have heard that the silicone sprays look great but dry out the tyres.

Personally use 303 Aerospace Protectant. Great stuff and will work on the dashboard, etc. It doesn't look too shiny (but will make the tyres look new) and when sprayed on interior bits does not feel greasy either - I hate greasy dashboards.

The best product you can get is Meguiars Hot Shine Tire Spray. No argument. its the best by a long shot. I have tried every product known to man for the last 15 years and this is the one…

It’s not cheap (unless you have a wholesale account at as I do ;) ) but it lasts for two-three weeks depending on how much driving you do and has an adjuster for different profile tire’s, very handy when you have two cars with completely different profiles like me.

Product # G12115

I'm with Grant. Car-fe do a super job. And I can read the paper and have a coffee and a meat pie, while someone else sweats over it.

Have you tried black nugget?

I'm with Grant. Car-fe do a super job. And I can read the paper and have a coffee and a meat pie, while someone else sweats over it.

Yeah the workers do a good job. The trouble is Cain it is owned by a person who allegedly doesn't pay Tradesmans bills.

No allegedly - it definitely is and I would not give him any of my money

I don't give him my money, I exchange it for the cleaning of my cars. A mutually beneficial business transaction in my books.

Back on topic though - find out what they use at the Car-Fe. It has been two weeks since the 328 was last there, and the tires are still as black as the ace of spades, and I have done 2 trips to Hamilton, plus other driving round town in the meantime.

Cheers

Grant

No allegedly - it definitely is and I would not give him any of my money

I only used that word for legal reasons, out of PRINCIPLE i would not use that place anymore. It's allegedly easy to pay yourself hundreds of thousands as wages and drain the account.The alleged real estate is just down my road so know about it.

I suppose it depends on how much you want to work on your own car.If you wish to do that yourself try what I'm using it lasts a long time its cheep and you get a lot for your money.Go to the supermarket buy some black nugget scuff stuff put about 2 desert spoons into a ice cream container and get a small paint brush and paint the tires.let that dry for about an hour and it should last you for months.I last did mine about 5 months ago and its still good.

if you are on a gravel road or you off road your car then you will need to do this more regularly.

sorry I forgot to mention don't get it on your rims or paintwork its too hard to get off.

Edited by keen