Sign in to follow this  
*Glenn*

Warning!!!! Rear speaker installations

Its probably been mentioned before..... but never cut the rear parcel shelf on any BMW. The steel rear panel is a structural part of the body shell. Supporting either suspension or seat belt anchor points. You will not get a WOF if this area is cut or modified. And it's very, very expensive to get repaired. Uneconomic to repair on an E30.

Recently I have had to give advise to people on this subject because their cars failed WOF's for this reason.

Cheers

Glenn

What about e39s. Some came with a apir of 8"subs in the rear tray. The flat section is there but the holes arent cut. It's one of my options but I'll be speaking to a certifier before blade touches metal

What about e39s. Some came with a apir of 8"subs in the rear tray. The flat section is there but the holes arent cut. It's one of my options but I'll be speaking to a certifier before blade touches metal

Are these sections not perforated ready for removal - I would have thought the body panels would be the same in all shells - ready to be removed depending on option spec of the car further down the production line?

Glad you took the option of checking first

Are these sections not perforated ready for removal - I would have thought the body panels would be the same in all shells - ready to be removed depending on option spec of the car further down the production line?

Nope, no pre-cut for ski hatch, and no pre-cut for the 8"subs, but there is a pre-cut for some small holes where the 8"subs go.

Lol yeah.

Cheers though Glenn, always thought the reason that you couldn't cut into the PT was because if done rangi etc would leave sharp edges etc.

Can't cut into any sedans parcel tray..Not just bmws.

But yea good advise espcially if you are looking at buying a car with aftermaket sounds - espcially 6x9's

Yeah, I remember there was something about this on Fair Go a few years back- guy purchased an E36 from a dealer with aftermarket speakers in, it fails Wof, dealer not interested... didn't realise that it was all BMW sedans though, so will bear that in mind for my next purchase (which I'm pretty sure will be a Beemer :P ) Cheers Glenn!

Yeah, I remember there was something about this on Fair Go a few years back- guy purchased an E36 from a dealer with aftermarket speakers in, it fails Wof, dealer not interested... didn't realise that it was all BMW sedans though, so will bear that in mind for my next purchase (which I'm pretty sure will be a Beemer :P ) Cheers Glenn!

It does not just apply to BMW, it is all makes and models, If you cut into the rear shelf, you risk WOF failure and bigish bills to repair

i just fitted some 6by9 speakers into my e36 coupe's std place with these adaptors i brought from trade me .

post-279-1202624184_thumb.jpg

what about the kick panel speakers are we able to cut up where the originals are to fit a 6 inch?

Edited by danthaman01

what about the kick panel speakers are we able to cut up where the originals are to fit a 6 inch?

Not too sure, but the main reason for the rear is the seat belt mounting for the rear seats.

i just fitted some 6by9 speakers into my e36 coupe's std place with these adaptors i brought from trade me .

hey brent can you please please post up a picture of the parcel tray with the 6x9s and what size packers are they

cheers

Any cuts or mods within 150mm of a structural mounting point ie: door hinges, catches, seat belt anchors or A,B & C pillar mods are a WOF fail....lucky with a few of those they cant see them, and they cant rip your car apart to look.

A WOF inspection is basically a visual inspection. Its really up to you if you want to alter the structural integrity of your vehicle....I wouldnt. Be creative and get round it some other way.

Cheers

Glenn

man iv been trying to find these spacers everywhere im probly just going to make my own up make them a bit thiner plan is for this weekend il post pictures when they are completed

man iv been trying to find these spacers everywhere im probly just going to make my own up make them a bit thiner plan is for this weekend il post pictures when they are completed

yea , i saw a pr of these ages ago ,on trade me , missed them , grabbed these when they came up , was thinking of just making some out of custom wood , but cant be bothered .

Not too sure, but the main reason for the rear is the seat belt mounting for the rear seats.

Yeah , no cutting of pannels within 300 mm of Seat belt mounts , according to ltsa. Done for everyones saftey.