Sign in to follow this  
bimmer boy

go faster bits

yeah but you had a better launch and i crunched 2nd....so it doesnt really 'keep up'

320 vs 323? drivers? YOUR 320 maybe, vs a 323 in the same tired condition as my car....maybe but ???

carl the motronic timing isnt adjustable....only L jet...i too have played around with timing on the old primera...ahh...did sweet FA...good times

yeah but you had a better launch and i crunched 2nd....so it doesnt really 'keep up'

320 vs 323? drivers? YOUR 320 maybe, vs a 323 in the same tired condition as my car....maybe but ???

:lol: behind every good man is an even better excuse :lol:

Hang On, L Jetronic has adjustable ignition timing you say? And my 318i would have L Jetronic wouldn't it... Excellent - Time for timing advance (Hehehe)

But do some 320i have L Jetronic? The reason I say this is because my mate had an import 320i that snapped all the exhaust valve roller rockers (wierd, i know) so he put a M20B25 but there were a few differences. We did this transplant ourselves so we got to know a fair bit about the cars. The 320i ignition system was much more similar to mine, you could even turn the dizzi. So maybe we can adjust bimmer boy's timing??? I dunno if he had Jetronic cos it was a euro model or what but worth having a look at adjusting timing. Carl- what control system you got?

Also for 320 to beat 323 the 323 driver would have to be pretty shocking

Edited by petone

I've got the motronic system, all FL bimmers do, in fact aren't all post 87 models motronic???

As for the 320 vs 323, it depends on the cars aswell as the drivers.

I found the most improvement I got in my M3 was to dump my 83kg girlfriend and get me a 45kg flyhoney! Knocked at least a second off my 0-60.

Excellent, in the face of all this PC b/s going on in our soceity, i'd do the same - although @ 45kg I wouldn't know whether to lift her up with one hand or be scared of breaking her fragile figure :lol:

haha my misses is like that weight..

it was a pre-req if she was gonna ride in the crx

Guest Spargo

Nice Justin, nice :lol:

So Damo, is the cage there for structural integrity, or otherwise :mosh: ?

Plus arent 320's a 4 and 323's a 6?

just to drag this back up, there was a 4 cylinder 2 litre version in the E21, also a 6cyl version, i had a 6 cyl one, it sucked.

Gus - I'd like to run my 320 against a 323.. if me 320 keeps up with your 325 through 1st and 2nd.. ?

Bimmerboy - .. if only we could advance your timing.. *sigh* .. I'd still maintain a 323 vs 320 would be a drivers race.

sure. you can advance the timing wat ever you like aslong as it doesnt break my car more. acually my dad told me i need the timming done cos it got en even idle or somthing i dont know if thats wat ur talking about .. just a guess. but yea if u can u can advance timming ^_^ Edited by bimmer boy

So Damo, is the cage there for structural integrity, or otherwise :mosh: ?

integrity bro....

tehn some fun and games... sh*t to hold on to when plowing... er yer

integrity bro....

tehn some fun and games... sh*t to hold on to when plowing... er yer

Nice! good call! :mosh: :mosh: :mosh: :mosh:

Guest Andrew

Gus - I'd like to run my 320 against a 323.. if me 320 keeps up with your 325 through 1st and 2nd.. ?

Bimmerboy - .. if only we could advance your timing.. *sigh* .. I'd still maintain a 323 vs 320 would be a drivers race.

sure. you can advance the timing wat ever you like aslong as it doesnt break my car more. acually my dad told me i need the timming done cos it got en even idle or somthing i dont know if thats wat ur talking about .. just a guess. but yea if u can u can advance timming ^_^
Bimmerboy - timing is non-adjustable on motronic so your idle problem will not be related to timing.

for those who are curious

318i - 84 - 87 L-Jet 88+ Motronic 1.1 + other versions of motronic in the 318is etc

320- 84 - 87 - L-Jet 88+ Motronic 1.1

323i - 84 - 87 L-Jet 88+ was no 323

325i - Only Motronic 1.1+

i was at manfield today watching the sprints.

robs(homage) uncle (hartage) was racing a 323i fully decked out for taga. only engine mod was it had tuned headers and a LSD with racing rubber. it was up against a 325i with road rubber on it. put it this way, the 323i had the acceleration but the 325i had the legs. mayb if the 325i had racing rubber on, it think it would just about clean up the 323i. both cars were coupes and had a full roll cage in with 2 race seats.

i went went for a ride in the 323i, dam was impressed esp going round the corners at insane speeds. the tyres didnt even let go. i thought my 325i was fast round corners but this was just crazy. no squeel just grip. THANKS FOR THE RIDE!!

Guest Andrew

thats why you need shocks me boy tim so you can go round corners faster!

I can't wait to slap on the race rubber i've got for the next track day and see how that goes.

suspension is the way to improve the times. 323i holds the road better and the only at the moment that i can stay in front of the 325i.

great day and good to see some support from the "bimmersport".

pics to follow1 :bounce: :bounce:

I can say that having adjustable suspension is just wicked. My old man had to drive my car (story was I as driving in my friends car to National Park when it blew the head near Waiouru), shocks were set to firm so CD kept skipping but the old man said he loved the cornering.

On the trip back it was set to soft, no skipping, but more roll in the corners...so I can only assume that if you're running stock shocks then you're cornering isn't going to be as great

Edited by ///Carl

Guest Andrew

suspension is the way to improve the times. 323i holds the road better and the only at the moment that i can stay in front of the 325i.

great day and good to see some support from the "bimmersport".

pics to follow1 :bounce: :bounce:

what setup do you have?

I plan to enter my car in a targa event of some kind when I can afford the roll cage.. other than that the rest of the car has been built up with race in mind - motor , suspension etc.

I don't own one but I'm almost certain that they are a 6. Another question though, did the M10 come in a 2L version?

The 2002 and some 520's had a 2L M10

KYB gas shocks King springs at about 20mm lowered, too low is a problem for targa as the roads are not too well sealed.

ride is firm and gives a very flat turn in. coupled with brembo brakes makes for much fun. :drugs:

I plan to enter my car in a targa event of some kind when I can afford the roll cage..

i have a mate here that does custom roll cages - hes a member of the hawkesbay car club, and he can do a full roll cage for about 1g - with the NZ motorsport? homologation cert. When i next see him, ill get a definite price, but i think that price is a bit hard to beat when it comes with the necessary papers and certs!!

(having never actually researched the purchase of one, but ive been told that they are expensive as elsewhere!)

Guest Andrew

KYB gas shocks King springs at about 20mm lowered, too low is a problem for targa as the roads are not too well sealed.

ride is firm and gives a very flat turn in. coupled with brembo brakes makes for much fun. :drugs:

Similar too mine - 40mm lower on Jamex progressive springs with Bilstein Gas Sport Shocks.. from seeing both shocks side by side I definateley prefer the bilsteins. My cars ride height is still very high.

Your brake setup is one of PBMS setups aye? Did they change the caliper? What wheels do you use.

Blair: That would be cool thanks.