Sign in to follow this  
pureboiracer

loosing coolant

got my new e30 325i the other day. and the last few days it has been using quite abit of coolant, the check light only seems to come on when i give it a little sh*t but driving nicely it doesnt use coolant too fast. there are no visible signs of leaks. anyone got any ideas?

If its not leaking, it has to be going somewhere, like out the exhaust pipe. Suspect blown head gasket.

Do all usual checks for blown Head Gasket - oil in water, water in oil, etc.

If its not leaking, it has to be going somewhere, like out the exhaust pipe. Suspect blown head gasket.

Do all usual checks for blown Head Gasket - oil in water, water in oil, etc.

Could also be a leaking heater matrix

checked head gasket this morning with this blue liquid that turns yellow when it detects exhaust gases and showed up fine. i found when you drive nicely it doesnt loose any water. suspect a blockage somewhere?

Good point. Ours left a few drops on the floor each night and I think he mentioned it loses more in "hard" driving.

Have a look round all the hoses for tell tale white marks (dried coolant). Check your pressure cap is sealing properly also and that there is some pressure in the hoses when the system is hot. Check all clips securing hoses. After all that it could be a pin hole in the radiator. Good luck.

Have you bled the system. Then run your checks? It is going somewhere if you are filling the overflow bottle regularly. another place to check is the throttle body heater hoses these can perish behind the intake manifolds where they are hard to see.

I had the same problem, get it pressure tested. Mine turned out to be a bottom hose.