Sign in to follow this  
normsmith

E90 stereo?

I would like to get an mp3 stereo for my E90. The dash does not appear to accommodate normal stereos. Anyway of getting around this? Also the factory stereo is integrated with controls on the steering wheel for volume, station etc. Is there a way of integrating new stereo units with these controls?

I don't think I'm going to be much help, but I too would like to know how people are getting around the "new" integrated headunits in cars these days. It looks as though car makers are trying to eliminate the aftermarket providers.

As a side note, doesn't your car come with an ipod link? Buy an ipod and use the factory controls.

I don't think I'm going to be much help, but I too would like to know how people are getting around the "new" integrated headunits in cars these days. It looks as though car makers are trying to eliminate the aftermarket providers.

As a side note, doesn't your car come with an ipod link? Buy an ipod and use the factory controls.

It does not have a proper iPod link. It just has an auxillary in feature via a 3.5mm to 3.5mm jack. You can't control your iPod using the steering wheel controls.

I would be grateful it has an auxiliary! The one in my Astra (Blaupunkt CD-40) doesn’t even have that and as the system runs threw canbus it is imposable (at this stage) to add one. The head unit also controls the trip computer and all info is displayed on the dash board screen so there really is few options.

Astra:

Posted Image

If I were you I would first find out the brand and model# of head unit then search for possible upgrades. I know Alpine and Blaupunkt do replacements units (even for the BF Falcon) that have RCA pre-outs and a whole host of advanced features so this may be your best bet.

I think the standard BMW headunits can play MP3s via CD.

IIRC from the top of my head, the new"er" BMWs do come with the option of Ipod control...but not 100% sure myself.

DICE Link is a product that can integrate an ipod into your factory stereo system and allow you to control the ipod through the headunit. A quick Google should throw up heaps of info.

DICE Link is a product that can integrate an ipod into your factory stereo system and allow you to control the ipod through the headunit. A quick Google should throw up heaps of info.

Dension Ice Link to be precise. :-) Looks like a nice unit. Apparently charges your iPod as well. Only problem is it appears 1) technical to install and 2) I can't find anyone who sells it here in NZ. Any help?

just contact dension directly on their website .. what I did and they got it right first time.