Sign in to follow this  
M3_guy

MUST SEE!! All You BIMMER LOVERS CHECK THIS OUT!!!

You gotta check this thread out and help me out here!

http://clubsub.org.nz/forums/index.php?topic=22560.0

I mean the thread begins with:

STi Type R or E36 M3?

But the auther is my friend and I keep telling him "Why would the damm car blow it self in the 1st place!"

Give your thoughts to this guy!

BTW I own both BMW and SUBARUs but I love my BIMMERS HANDS DOWN!!!

Had a quick read and

P.S. If you were thinking of dropping the car till the sills scrape on the road and fitting 20 inch UGLY and heavy chommies however, i'd go for the BMW as this is a very, very common mod

You s.l.a.g guys are ruining BMW's image

I think the STi would be faster, it's easier to drive on the limit, and the motor isn't as peaky as the M3's.

Basically a monkey can drive an STi quickly, and if we're comparing normal average Joe drivers like you and me, the STi will be quicker, especially in difficult conditions.

But maybe slightly slower in a straight line because of drivetrain loss? Sti Type R's have DCCD system and are pretty lightweight despite the 4WD drivetrain so their limits are very high with a good suspension and tyre setup.

IMHO: If you wanted to build a car just to go quick, BMW is not the Marque to choose. Performance per $ wise, a Lancer Evolution or Subaru STi would be hard to beat.

My 2c

Depends entirely on what your friend wants in a car. BMW's in general offer a better and more involved driving experience, but there are cheaper ways to go quick.

IMHO: If you wanted to build a car just to go quick, BMW is not the Marque to choose. Performance per $ wise, a Lancer Evolution or Subaru STi would be hard to beat.

Ah maybe true but like one wise guy over at the great kingdom they call it, STRAIGHT ROADS ARE FOR FAST CARS CORNERS ARE FOR FAST DRIVERS!!!

I just love the 6cyl RWD cars with habit of swinging its tail out whenever you push it

I do also drive a forester turbo manual with basic mods and had few turbo subarus but its just my own personal opinion, I love the drive feel of the RWD cars...

Wish he would grow out of his RICER cars tho... hes 24 for god sake and still lives in his momma's house and gets pocket money... see, that type of car with him gives that typical image...

MMM!!! Your mate will have a light wallet no matter which way he goes by the look of it M3- guy.

Some of the remarks made on the SUB site maybe correct to them but in the eyes of a BMW enthusiast they raise the heckles on the back of your neck. Hence you have a difference of opinion and the tension is then set you can take them for what they are opinions or just leave it alone.

This is a very touchy subject one which has no doubt been thrashed out before. All the facts about both vehicle models need to be known before forming any option on which one the individual wish's to choose.This I feel is guided by a number of factors,

Age, yours and the vehicle's

What do you want the vehicle for ie. Daily, drag car, track work, paddock you get the idea

Colour, economy, comfort etc etc in the end it will be the purchaser's decision. As the owner ship continues knowledge is obtained about the vehicle they have and that opinion will either be re-enforced or it will be changed.

The BMW image has been forged over many years, good and bad I feel it will be around for many more, my opinion only. The import issue could be a concern as more beema's become available the elite or what ever term you wish to put on it will diminish. This in turn will have its own pro's and con's what they will be only time will tell.

Cheers Allan

"or an E46 manual (SMG sucks ass except in the CSL)."

Right so these guys know as much about BMW as i know about Subaru's. Except that a Subaru's value will never match a BMW.

bmws hands down are better

quote-bills for the BMW there not cheap the oil filter is $34

mine cost 17$ , im sure a impreza would be expensive to fix as no room in engine bay ??????

Edited by Pboy

I'm not surprised that members of a Subaru board would choose a Subaru over a BMW. It's fair enough that everyone has their own preference of looks, car characteristics or power delivery, but some of them are just talking bullshit.

The person who started the thread just needs to drive both and pick what he likes.

WOW the guy "New Suba" really sounds like he knows his stuff....not, are all urabus drivers like this????

Edited by Greg111

MMM!!! Your mate will have a light wallet no matter which way he goes by the look of it M3- guy.

Some of the remarks made on the SUB site maybe correct to them but in the eyes of a BMW enthusiast they raise the heckles on the back of your neck. Hence you have a difference of opinion and the tension is then set you can take them for what they are opinions or just leave it alone.

This is a very touchy subject one which has no doubt been thrashed out before. All the facts about both vehicle models need to be known before forming any option on which one the individual wish's to choose.This I feel is guided by a number of factors,

Age, yours and the vehicle's

What do you want the vehicle for ie. Daily, drag car, track work, paddock you get the idea

Colour, economy, comfort etc etc in the end it will be the purchaser's decision. As the owner ship continues knowledge is obtained about the vehicle they have and that opinion will either be re-enforced or it will be changed.

The BMW image has been forged over many years, good and bad I feel it will be around for many more, my opinion only. The import issue could be a concern as more beema's become available the elite or what ever term you wish to put on it will diminish. This in turn will have its own pro's and con's what they will be only time will tell.

Cheers Allan

Very true!

I just wish the Clubsub boys are mature enough to respect this.

Hmmm, after driving both .. I just dont understand the want for AWD in a road car for performance driving unless its in a straight line. An m3 on the limit vs a AWD (even with diff split) STI .. the m3 will always handle better ... ALWAYS.

a great comparison to AWD vs 2wd have a look at the 997 911 CS vs the GT3 .... the 2wd will always out perform on the limits as you actually have steering.

Quickest around a corner in a power slide .. now thats a different story. But its a road car and your not sliding it every where are you ? :)

It totally depends what your friends into. I personally cant stand the look of subaru's .. they look cheap and single serving to an era of cars. And the sound their exhuast manifold generates is about as played out as Bill Cosby in the 80s... But thats just _my_ opionion. Give me a screaming 6 any day.

So the car in question here is:

E36 3.0L M3

81,000kms

and in Auckland...

I hope it's not the one from AutoLink cars :o! ?

Where do I start... LOL

Wish he would grow out of his RICER cars tho... hes 24 for god sake and still lives in his momma's house and gets pocket money... see, that type of car with him gives that typical image...

I'm not 24 so know my age Stephen :D

And I get pocket money? What planet are you on? I got a bloody student Overdraft facility for god sakes <_<

You drive a Forester so that gives you a typical image of coming from the 'hoods' so to speak? (no offence intended to those from the 'hood') :D

Having a Silvia, Lexus, S2000 and STi doesnt make me feel like a ricer at all atleast I don't put Nismo stickers on a mitsubishi :P

I personally cant stand the look of subaru's .. they look cheap and single serving to an era of cars.

Um.. this is true I must admit...

BUT BMW 318 or 320 drivers with 20 inch chromies and bling bling Altezza clear tail lights or crystal front headlights from Taiwan dont give me much confidence in a BMW too unless its a M3...

And lets not get into the M3 wannabes that roam the street with their 15 dollar M badge from Tardme or those that really over do it putting M bodykits making it a 'fake' M3.

I just wish the Clubsub boys are mature enough to respect this.

Yes I totally agree with this and some are just 'dolphins' and don't know anything about BMW's full stop. We even have a division among the sedan drivers and coupe drivers with the rest being 'dolphins' talking crap most of the time... ^_^

Except that a Subaru's value will never match a BMW.

Thats for an M3 or any rare BMW's cos 318 or normal BMW's have lost heaps of value because of Singapore imports and anyway the only Subaru I see that is holding more value than an E36 is the 22B Impreza :P

STRAIGHT ROADS ARE FOR FAST CARS CORNERS ARE FOR FAST DRIVERS!!!

I for one do not want a drag car on a public road. Plus my car can't go fast in a straight line after 100km's anyway because of the ridiculously close gear ratios. It also does have fast acceleration but the highway is just oh so gay :D (3500+ RPMS doing 110 isnt too much fun) Also the car is virtually a RWD anyway, any loss of traction makes the car turn into a rear wheel drive plus the car is always on open mode (a 35% Front and 65% Rear bias) all the time because I do love RWD and that is why I am still thinking and considering an M3.

E36 3.0L M3

81,000kms

and in Auckland...

I hope it's not the one from AutoLink cars ! ?

BINGO :D

Better Snap it up before I do mate! :P

All in all I like M3's and I guess this forum shares this view. It's a shame some STi drivers don't appreciate the M3 or any BMW's as well.

The car is at Possum Bourne Motorsports getting an engine rebuild and gearbox rebuild (Go figure... past old owner was a hoon) and the fact that the STi gave me so much stress I'm beginning to like it LOL

I can sell the STi and buy that M3 in question straight away... its a matter of trying my 'new' STi with rebuilt engine with lots of forged goodies and see how reliable those are and see where we go from there.

I've had many cars just like my friend Stephen but guess what? Stephen told me to buy the STi coupe :D

Theres no point in saying my car is better than yours because at the end of the day, if you are happy with what you are driving who gives a toss what others say? Unless its some Vtec Honda which I have graduated from LOL

My 20 dollars LOL

PS I did not intend this post to offend anyone, just wanted to clear up some sh!t my friend stirred up amongst you guys ;)

Edited by STi Guy

Welcome to the board anyway. I read both threads and you have to expect a bias toward one type on either board.

There have been a few sensible things said for and against. I guess for me, the stats that everyone has put up for the STi are the 0-100kph times. Do the comparison for the 0-200kph and see which brand comes out on top. Again, that's only relevant if you every want to drive that fast (on the track). If you drive around town or the Coromandel, then the STi gets my vote. If, like me you drive on the open road a lot. You can't go wrong with a BMW (even a lesser one than an M3). They are easier to drive (IMO) than a Scooby too (although I am comparing my 540iS to Mum's Turbo Legacy) around fast sweeping corners.

I have to wonder about whether it is a fair comparison though. They are both excellent cars for me, but designed for very different tasks. In reality, like asking whether an Aprilia RS250 is better than a Ducati 1098RR.

Good luck with whichever car you choose to go with.

^^^Excellent Post STI GUY^^^

Hope you sort out what you want and enjoy it, If you have any questions about the m3 im sure members here would be happy to help.

It is hard to compare a Turbo beast and an N/A Beast, they are different animals!!

Edited by braeden.

BUT BMW 318 or 320 drivers with 20 inch chromies and bling bling Altezza clear tail lights or crystal front headlights from Taiwan dont give me much confidence in a BMW too unless its a M3...

And lets not get into the M3 wannabes that roam the street with their 15 dollar M badge from Tardme or those that really over do it putting M bodykits making it a 'fake' M3.

Most of us agree with a 100% on the ebay catalog call .. but subbies suffer from this as well.

But I think here we are talking performance model with performace model.

E36 3.0L M3

81,000kms

and in Auckland...

I hope it's not the one from AutoLink cars :o! ?

if it is, looks like he gonna keep the sh*t box, so ur M3 is safe :lol:

BINGO :D

Better Snap it up before I do mate! :P

LOL, thats just dandy...

I say get an STI!

M3 its the crappiest crap car on the planet why the hell do you want one of those for?

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=14968 <_<

So much for my "leverage" now....

I reckon its down to what you prefer driving, i love both m3's and STi's.. infact they're my two favourite cars. And as many people have already said, everyone is going to back their own cars anyway.

I say get an STI!

M3 its the crappiest crap car on the planet why the hell do you want one of those for?

LOL :lol:

if it is, looks like he gonna keep the sh*t box, so ur M3 is safe

Whose sh*t box are you talking about yours or mine?

if you are looking at getting an m3, look around at some of the European cars to see how they should be modified, no 20's and compressed springs there

dude, i didnt blow my engine...

if you are looking at getting an m3, look around at some of the European cars to see how they should be modified, no 20's and compressed springs there

Give the poor guy some credit - I think he's already said he's not into that sort of thing.

Although:

Unless its some Vtec Honda which I have graduated from LOL

Oi! VTEC rules. 100hp/litre, revs and cheap. Unfortunately small. Oh well.

I agree with whichever poster(s) pointed out that each car is different. Different, but good, and different means you should choose whichever suits what you want out of a car.

I guess you should keep in mind that the M3 requires a different attitude to the cars it sounds like you've had more recently - if you want performance bits (in particular power upgrades) for STIs and Evos, or RWD japanese, they're plentiful new and secondhand. It's a bit harder to find stuff for BMWs (unless you want ricey lights etc), its usually more expensive, and most of the time it doesn't improve performance much...

...so if that makes you sad, I would look elsewhere.

Edited by CamB