Sign in to follow this  
540i TOURING

New Member 540i Touring Wagon

Hey everyone,

I have a e34 NZ new 540i Touring Wagon that I bought in January with 130000km. I've just lowered it and stuck on a set of hyper silver 20's with polished lip and need some expert help on the Self Leveling Rear Suspension.

Have also tinted the windows and it already had a aftermarket rear muffler and cats removed (so last owner said) so sounds not bad.

Traditionally I have been a Holden/HSV nut and yes I still have the 2003 manual clubsport sitting in the garage (wife now drives it) but I've got to say these Beemers are awesome. Would love a new one!

This is my second e34 540i wagon, I sold my first one last year, it was an awesome car and then could not find anything to replace it, really regretted selling it! What other V8 station wagon can you buy for the money that goes and drives like these things? So when this one came up I had to buy it.

I had major issues lowering the back of the first one as the self levelling suspension pumped itself back up to its standard ride height even with 20mm drop Vogtland lowered springs. So the back was really hard and jacked up compared to the front which looked very low and tight using 6 cylinder e34 springs. No-one seemed to know or could help me on lowering the self leveling so was never really happy with it. My mechanic disconnected the linkage lever but the "Self Leveling Suspension - See Owners Handbook" light on the dash would come on after 5 minutes and not go away.

For this one I did some hunting around on the net and found full pictured article on the linkage and how it works. You only need very minor adjustments in the linkage arm which U bolts to the sway bar to get the ride height to drop. Keith from Suspension Progress supplied me another Vogtland Spring Kit (45mm drop front and 25mm drop rear) and have adjusted the linkage back to stop the self leveling cutting in at all as I want the back as low as possible. Problem is as soon as I stick any weight in the back and fill the tank with gas the Self Leveling Suspension Light comes on after about 5 minutes. In the handbook it says theres a camber warning switch which triggers the suspension light if the camber goes over a certain angle. I presume by adding a bit of weight in the back its just dropping it enough to trigger the camber switch? Does anyone know how this works or to adjust or take this off? Is the Camber adjustable on these wagons? i.e. when doing a wheel alignment?

Heres some pics.

Thanks

Adam

post-2876-1205471078_thumb.jpg

post-2876-1205471117_thumb.jpg

Welcome, and good luck with that issue.

I would think that your 20" wheels won't help the steering geometry. However, I have no real idea.

I'd hang out for Glenn from Botany Motor Works to comment. He'll be around soon, I'm sure.

Nice looking car, you are correct. It's hard to replace a 540 with something similar in the value for money and luxury stakes.

Thanks for the comments on the wheels guys, the centres were originally black but I didn't think the black suited the silver car so got a mate at Darkside Customs to paint the centres silver and polish the lips.

Cain yes I thought about the wheels being too big being 20 x 8.1/2's but am running Hankook k107 245/30/20 tires all round which ends up with a rolling diameter very similar to the 17" Motorsport wheels and 235/45/17 tires that were on there. Offset is perfect, no rubbing so am happy as.

I agree with the comments about rolling circumference, they are within 3% of each other. However the overall diameter of the wheel has grown 12mm going from a 235/45/17 to a 245/30/20 (another 3%).

I'm sure someone like Conrod or the other racing guys will be able to advise whether this has a detrimental effect on the way the wheel travels. It doesn't sound significant, I must admit.

I don't think the camber is adjustable. The rear suspension on ours is either in spec or out of spec. I've been told there is no adjustment to be made.

Have fun.

Id just take the lamp out of the suspension light behind the instrument cluster. Way easier than extracting system and if you want to sell stock just swap back to original springs and lamp back in.

almost brought that car was too slowwwww.

do you want to swap for my e39 540i touring

I like it its, P.I.M.P.

Try a wheel alignment first by someone who knows what they are doing ( camber is adjustable, but limited). Try that and see if its ok. You might still have to tweak the camber switch linkage in the right dirrection to sort it though. We got involved with this about 2 yrs ago, but I've forgotten exactly what we did. But I'm sure the car we did it on had the hydraulic shocks removed. We just had to get the warning signal stable

Dam those wheels look the biz on your fiver! welcome

That's a very nice attractive unit that mate. The Holdens/Fords have nothing over the BMW's build quality and performance for the same years especially. Chalk & cheese, been there & done them all lol! German V8 is the way to go, cause they know how to build em :)

Looks good dude, very nice.

Hi BRENT HART535GE I just about bought a 99 E39 540i Touring late last year.

Drove it for a day and was a very nice cruising car but prefered the e34.

Your one would have to be a minter for me to swap ;)

Adam

Hi Adam

Have researched your problem with the camber settings

I can help you with this

Give me a call (09)2722546

Cheers

Glenn