Sign in to follow this  
Palazzo

E30>E36 Steering rack

Do I remember reading somewhere that this is an easy swap and gives a faster steering rack/ratio than standard? Anyone done it? Does an M325i have a faster rack than standard (thought I read this somewhere)? Any ideas on prices for an E30 or E36 rack? You can probably see where I'm going with this.

Somewhere on www.e3024v.com there is stuff about that.

Edited by tastic

Do I remember reading somewhere that this is an easy swap and gives a faster steering rack/ratio than standard? Anyone done it? Does an M325i have a faster rack than standard (thought I read this somewhere)? Any ideas on prices for an E30 or E36 rack? You can probably see where I'm going with this.

Yip a normal non m e36 rack is a 3.4 turn lock to lock from memory and an e30 one is 3.9 from memory.

Big improvement over standard, the best one to get is a 3.0 lock to lock from an e36 m3 or a 2.7 lock to lock from a z3 if your really game. No m325is have the standard 3.9.

Prices are about $150-$250 for a decent second hand unit from a standard e30 or e30 (z3 ones are big bucks because there highly sort after)

Its easy to do, only prob can be clearing headers if you have them because the e36 steering shaft comes off at a slightly different angle.

Its an awesome mod if you can do it (i couldn't :( would not clear my custom V8 extractors)

Riley

I found this very informative. Click here for guide

Click on the link and download "E36 Rack Conversion Steering Coupling" .zip file.

Comes with pictures and everything!

EDIT: tire beat me to it.

Edited by JiB

Thanks guys. The bush on the right hand side of the rack is stuffed and flogging out the brake disc as it moves. Either a recon for the rack, or a new ( 2nd hand) rack. Wil prob try the E36 route by the look of it.

Got plenty of E36 racks. $150 each

Ray

0212HELLBM

how much would i be looking at for a z3 rack and would this be a good choice for my race car?

how much would i be looking at for a z3 rack and would this be a good choice for my race car?

I'm guessing it would be around the same price as a E36M3 rack..which is $$$ from what I've heard.

Bout $600-$1000 Second hand last time i looked. Excellent choice for a race car

Yip a normal non m e36 rack is a 3.4 turn lock to lock from memory and an e30 one is 3.9 from memory.

Big improvement over standard, the best one to get is a 3.0 lock to lock from an e36 m3 or a 2.7 lock to lock from a z3 if your really game. No m325is have the standard 3.9.

My understanding is that although the Z3 rack is less turns lock-to-lock than the M3 rack, they actually have the same ratio - i.e. one turn of the steering wheel produces the same change of angle at the wheels.

This implies that the maximum turn available from the Z3 rack is less than the M3 rack, i.e. you'd have a worse turning circle.

e30zone.co.uk used to have good information about the various options.

Nic

Nic im pretty sure your right about that, its been a while since ive looked into it, cheers

$1250 for a Z3 rack was my best quote, or $5,600 for a new one. . . . .

I found then up north recond for $800 but they may have gone up since then

Talk to ray from hellbm ... he managed to find me a near new 2.7 turn z3 one for a good price.

will the e36 rack clear the exhaust manifold without moving/moding anything?

will the e36 rack clear the exhaust manifold without moving/moding anything?

Have a look on the link above, think it's one disc and 2 bolts to be made, no issues with clearance.