Sign in to follow this  
CamB

e36 - strut brace vs x-brace

So, I've acquired an E36 M3 Evo, and already can't leave it alone, LOL.

I'm wondering about putting in a strut brace (seemingly difficult to find a decent one), or a x-brace, which is apparently a factory fitted part on convertibles and Z3, under the front subframe. so a couple of questions:

- has anyone ever fitted the x-brace to a coupe or sedan?

- does the x-brace help - I assume yes or they wouldn't have bothered on the open topped models?

- is a strut brace worthwhile?

Never fitted an x-brace as it was ridiculously expensive in NZ, but here's a DIY: http://www.understeer.com/xbrace.shtml

Have only read good things about the x-brace, 99.9% of the comments I've read say it helps, and that it helps much more than a strut brace, I would do the x-brace first.

Oh and congrats on the purchase, post some pics up!

Few years ago, I tried to ask Jerry Clayton parts and they had no idea what a X-brace is! Me too has only heard good things about X-brace. I would go for that before strut brace as well.

It's only been a couple of hours man! Itchy itchy hands you have :P

The internets tell me that an X-Brace is the way to go, and strut brace doesn't do anything?

My experience with x-brace on sedan is that it has no effect around town. I live up a curvy hill and I don't exactly go slow and still didn't notice anything. $500 later :(.

Bought a $20 strut brace in Bangkok and noticed quite a difference, especially during sudden turning.

Maybe I'm just back-to-front :unsure:.

My experience with x-brace on sedan is that it has no effect around town. I live up a curvy hill and I don't exactly go slow and still didn't notice anything. $500 later :( .

Hmm interesting! Don't know, can only go by what I've read. Apparently sedan is stiffer than coupe, not sure how true that is, or by how much.

$500, was that new from the dealer? I called Team McMillan up more than a year ago, IIRC I was told $600+ inc. GST.

Thanks guys.

I was planning on finding one second hand - BMW want too much money (largely I suspect because they air freight it as well as putting on their big bad markup). Part of the reason for asking is that all the strut braces I've seen are cheesy chinese ones - maybe they're ok but they sure look flimsy...

Will put up pics once it's clean etc - it's the Byzanz sedan on Trade Me.

Thanks guys.

I was planning on finding one second hand - BMW want too much money (largely I suspect because they air freight it as well as putting on their big bad markup). Part of the reason for asking is that all the strut braces I've seen are cheesy chinese ones - maybe they're ok but they sure look flimsy...

Awesome! That's a nice car... good to hear it's back in the Bimmersport family.

I've got front and rear AC strut braces in mine, took the rear one out as needed space in the boot and found it made a big differance in cornering, still good but not as good as when it's in, wouldn't mind studying up on these x braces, could always get rid of more looseness :P

Dose anyone know where you can pick up a front and rear strut brace without paying some Outrageous price?

Part of the reason for asking is that all the strut braces I've seen are cheesy chinese ones - maybe they're ok but they sure look flimsy...

This one I bought in bkk did look pretty crappy, but its solid as. Fitted ok, and hasn't broken despite questionable welds. I'll try to remember to take a pic of it tomorrow. For $20 it was just as "oh well it's worth a shot" sort of thing.

Everything is fine in the rear, i should have said i could just feel a slight differance...my bad.

Thanks guys.

CamB

Have you bought the 4 door Byzanz M3 on Trade Me?

I was pretty keen to buy that, and according to trade me it is still for sale (and within 15% of its reserve), was just going to wait till the last minute to place my bid (however I change my mind every day, and am also considering an E39 540 so maybe you have donw me a favour).

Cheers

Grant

Grant

If a rear strut brace only braces the shock towers, how can strengthen anything given there are only vertical loads being transferred.

CamB

Have you bought the 4 door Byzanz M3 on Trade Me?

I was pretty keen to buy that, and according to trade me it is still for sale (and within 15% of its reserve), was just going to wait till the last minute to place my bid (however I change my mind every day, and am also considering an E39 540 so maybe you have donw me a favour).

Cheers

Grant

Grant

Yeah it is that one - the dude who's sold it to me has gone on holiday I think and forgotten to remove it. I can assure you its sold - it's in my driveway with my name on the ownership and I paid for it. Geez, it better be mine, LOL.

Yeah it is that one - the dude who's sold it to me has gone on holiday I think and forgotten to remove it. I can assure you its sold - it's in my driveway with my name on the ownership and I paid for it. Geez, it better be mine, LOL.

I've been lying awake at night thinking about that car as well!!! Enjoy!

The yellow one on TM is asking a lot more. Have you been to see that one? Can you compare?

Nice Buy!

The yellow one on TM is asking a lot more. Have you been to see that one? Can you compare?

Nice Buy!

I have seen the yellow one, and have met the owner a couple of times. Very very nice car, and very well looked after - which is reflected in the price but IMO still a good price for the condition, just more than I want to spend.

Cheers

Grant

Nice Buy!

I didn't go and see it. My car is not without faults, but it is pretty good. There're are few things I need to spend some money on.

In the rear (of BMWs') the spring load is tranferred into a subframe and then to the body shell floor so the load into the tower is only shock absorber loading. ( plus of course the dynamic load on the vehicle).

"The load into the shock tower is only shock absorber loading".

Only vertical loading. The lateral loadings are tranferred via the subframe into the floor area of the boot, not the shock towers.