Sign in to follow this  
mackt

Petrol Prices

Petrol price and "lifestyle" changes  

60 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Was wondering how elastic the price of petrol would be to bimmersport drivers, and what price would make you buy a hybrid/diesel or "small car"

I think I'd be round the $150 per fill mark (about $2.50/litre) for the 328. Then I'd probably get a suzuki swift or similar for going to work!

I generally drive efficiently but about once a week i relapse and undo all my good effort and chew through the fuel.

Was wondering how elastic the price of petrol would be to bimmersport drivers, and what price would make you buy a hybrid/diesel or "small car"

I think I'd be round the $150 per fill mark (about $2.50/litre) for the 328. Then I'd probably get a suzuki swift or similar for going to work!

Hey mate , race gas is already $2.50 litre. [ I get 1 km per litre @ WOT ]

we'll still buy the sh*t at $10.00 a litre

well we are quite close....i put 117 in the 535 the other day...and thats 91!

The 7 was 150 a fill the last time it went up, so this is nothing new.

The price of petrol is not going to stop me from enjoying my cars if Im perfectly honest.

Not really too concerned. Would only buy a diesel or smaller engined vehicle to get the resale.

They rekon if your car uses heaps of fuel, just keep putting more in!

The E60 at the moment is returning 8.9l / 100km which is awesome for a car the size of a VE Commodore.

Edited by Deeveus525i

I think our petrol is quite cheap compared with Europe.

I was in Germany 2 weeks ago and paid $NZ 2.90 litre. In Holland it was $NZ 3.20. It hasn't stopped people over there from driving. On the other side, it was $NZ 1.10 litre in Thailand.

The price has a lot to do with government revenue rather than oil companies putting up prices etc. Correct me if I am wrong but the government makes more money as the price moves up due to that fact it takes a % of the fuel price charged from the oil companies.

I think our petrol is quite cheap compared with Europe.

I was in Germany 2 weeks ago and paid $NZ 2.90 litre. In Holland it was $NZ 3.20. It hasn't stopped people over there from driving. On the other side, it was $NZ 1.10 litre in Thailand.

The price has a lot to do with government revenue rather than oil companies putting up prices etc. Correct me if I am wrong but the government makes more money as the price moves up due to that fact it takes a % of the fuel price charged from the oil companies.

About 47% is tax

Its all relative to what you get paid though isn't it rather than a straight conversion on the exchange rate.

I would put close to 100 quid in the 750 four years ago and although that sounds like a lot of money over here it wasn't a lot for what I was being paid.

Yup - and I bet the wage rates in Germany compared with NZ are quite high so its all relative. What is needed is some sort of idea of the cost of a litre of fuel as a percentage of the average wage to give a true idea of the cost when comparing various countries.

I don't think NZer's would cope at 2.90 a litre.

Edited by ducatiss

The E60 at the moment is returning 8.9l / 100km which is awesome for a car the size of a VE Commodore.

I'm sorry, am I mistaken or did you just compare an BMW to a Holden.. ^_^:o

The 7 was 150 a fill the last time it went up, so this is nothing new.

The price of petrol is not going to stop me from enjoying my cars if Im perfectly honest.

Costs me about $130-$140 of 95/98 to fill, and I think exactly the same as you Martyn, regardless of price, I still want to enjoy my car. You don't buy a v8 to just have it sit in your garage or to granny around everywhere you go in my opinion.

Ian.

I've already changed my driving habits and drive to maximise fuel economy now. Of course, if I had a nicer car I would be more tempted to put my foot down :)

And as Martyn said it's all relative. It would be interesting to do a poll based on age - I'd imagine the older guys who on average should belong in the higher income bracket will have more inelastic demand. Though I can see lots of young guys not caring about prices and just flooring it any chance they get (ie: the amount of teenagers on Queen Street Friday & Saturday night).

For me I drive a company car 5 days a week, my weekend cars only get driven once every 2nd weekend or so, so petrol price doesn't really worry me a huge amount. TBH if it got to $2.50 and there were less cars on the road and less traffic jams I'd be happy!

I agree with brad really too. Im not worried about paying extra for the convenience to drive. Hell, a bus or the train cost similar if not more!

A taxi driver told me about 30 years ago that the average adult weekly wage equaled 100 gallons of petrol, and had done so for most of his life. I was young and he was gettin on a bit. Things really havent changed much. We still moan about the price of petrol. ....... opps another maths assignment :P

A taxi driver told me about 30 years ago that the average adult weekly wage equaled 100 gallons of petrol, and had done so for most of his life. I was young and he was gettin on a bit. Things really havent changed much. We still moan about the price of petrol. ....... opps another maths assignment :P

So... if a gallon is 3.8 litres...

Petrol (91) was $1.82 last time I checked.

(100 x 3.8) x 1.82 = $691.6 p/w

$691.60 x 52 = $35,963 p/a

Seems suprisingly accurate to me!

I'm with Penry. It's about getting bang for my buck. If I like the car, I will still drive it. I'm over $130 to fill either of my 2 larger cars.

Ultimately, if I'm looking to save money on fuel, I'll buy a smaller car as well.

I need to drive a car every day in my job (catching public transport won't work), so most of my fuel is paid for. I spend more than $9000 in my company car alone (excluding the rental cars that I drive 1-2 weeks per month) or the other 2 cars in the garage.

I have ordered a VW diesel as my next company car, as it is a better car than the Territory from a safety, fuel efficiency and luxury/specification aspects (plus it handles better). Ultimately, the savings in fuel have been spent on leasing a better car. So it saves no money at all. I would do the same if it were my money.

Good to see Glenn's taxi drive/soothsayer prediction is keeping fuel prices in line with last century (taking inflation into account)

I'm sorry, am I mistaken or did you just compare an BMW to a Holden.. ^_^:o

In no way shape or form!!!!!

Merely commenting to give a guage on the size of the E60 5 Series lol. Thats as comparative as the two cars get :) Other than being in the same country lol!

Also agree with what was said about higher prices = less cars on the road. It might even get rid of a few of the younger 'hoons.'

Also agree with what was said about higher prices = less cars on the road. It might even get rid of a few of the younger 'hoons.'

I don't reckon it will. They've got lots of disposable income(as many get a job to fund their lifestyle rather than go to uni or save) to throw around so i don't think it will have a huge impact. Same with people on higher salary's they'll keep driving.

The people it'll force of the road are people who are on lower to middle incomes with families, mortgages etc. Or they'll have to forgo things like heating, food etc in order to have the use of the car.

People will at some point start migrating into the city rather than commuting as it'll be less travel cost but lead to overpopulating and more expensive inner city dwellings.

Edited by jeddy

Don't forget the GST!

As us motorists are seen as a cash cow to prop up the consolidated fund (and petrol company profits), surely there comes a price point where the Govts revenue and company profits plateau or decrease? Plus good ole supply and demand (i.e lots of petrol and less demand) forces a price reduction??

Or is petrol one of those things that this won't happen?

Don't forget the GST!

As us motorists are seen as a cash cow to prop up the consolidated fund (and petrol company profits), surely there comes a price point where the Govts revenue and company profits plateau or decrease? Plus good ole supply and demand (i.e lots of petrol and less demand) forces a price reduction??

Or is petrol one of those things that this won't happen?

if prices get crazy, we all might be forced to drive 318's, sure they are decent . . . . but 4 cylinders cummon

all this pressure is making me want to do a stake out down parliment, bimmersport go!

No matter what your income is we all have only got so many options available to deal with this issue. Once these are exhausted and one is doing everything one can for his or her situation the price of the product still remains only in a hopefully more manageable state.

I believe that the motoring public of this country are used by the government as a cash cow and being milked dry. This I could find a little more palatable if all their tax take was directed back into roading and environmental issues concerning automobiles which we were lead to believe would happen another con job. Plus now they wish to add even more to the petrol price in the name of better roads and breathable air. a bit of day cha vu, spelling their I'm sure

A different note I know it was only a comparison but a VE commodore mmmm.

Jeremy are you using imperial figures or U.S figures

1 imperial gallon = 8pints = 4.546ltrs

1 U.S gallon = 3.758ltr

98 0ctane $2.05 x 70ltrs = $143.50

95 Octane $1.89.9x 70ltrs = $132.93

91 Octane $1.82.9 don't us it

last time I looked

Only time will hold the answer on this one I feel

"Was wondering how elastic the price of petrol would be to bimmersport drivers, and what price would make you buy a hybrid/diesel or "small car"

I think I'd be round the $150 per fill mark (about $2.50/litre) for the 328. Then I'd probably get a suzuki swift or similar for going to work!"

Bought two Swifts for company last year, average 15.67km/litre, thats best Km/litre for round town driving so far