Sign in to follow this  
Gus

Porsche

parts are EXPENSIVE....m car expensive not even normal BMW expensive.Woulds till like to try one tho.

not surprising, do you have any examples?

not surprising, do you have any examples?

Quoted 6.5k for a headgasket on a 944 turbo, old mans 79 911SC was 3k for the clutch and install.

Depends on who you know and how much of the work you can do yourself I guess. I think I could have halved the price on the headgasket job but still wasn't worth it for the car.

Edited by Jacobfie

what about parts though? i imagine any mechanic would rape you on labour since its a "Porsche"

what are they like to work on?

Didn't some of the early ones have water or lead filled bumpers? myth?

That, combined with the engine sitting over the rear axles, and me having a sorta physics brain, makes me wonder if I would enjoy it much :lol:.

I know bugger all about them, but this is cool: trademe

And when I was driving over to chch during easter holidays, I drove past a guy in a old porsche, and even though it was just for a second, you could see the ear to ear smile of a person who driving a car they used have on there wall as a kid.

Hope I look like that when I'm driving my F430 lol.

Edited by antony

what about parts though? i imagine any mechanic would rape you on labour since its a "Porsche"

what are they like to work on?

I'd imagine a 944/928/924 would be reasonable, I know a fair few people that have had 944's and they've been reasonably reliable for them. I think a later 911 would be a fair bit more difficult, my old man barely did any work to his by himself (although he'd serviced the jag he had before it). Haven't personally had anything to do with early 911's although they're my favourite.. so I can't really comment.

Parts cost I'm not too sure, I'd imagine something similar to M-car prices as mentioned above.

Yeah, I have also heard horror stories of large bills for the many repairs that come up. I would like to buy a 911 but after talking with a couple of owners and reading up as much as I could was appalled at the chronic early failures of engines and the repair bills that were well just beyond my budget. However I would still be interested in learning what other owners think about their 911's and even the 944 S2.

Didn't some of the early ones have water or lead filled bumpers? myth?

Don't no bugger all about them, but this is cool: trademe

Hmm.. could be legit I guess? they're pretty light in the front but I haven't heard of anyone filling bumpers with lead!

Apparently those early Turbo's are one of the scariest street cars to drive

You think those early turbos are scary what about Racing Ray's! That thing is hawt.

You think those early turbos are scary what about Racing Ray's! That thing is hawt.

Haha I hear they're like an MR2 on crack.. I wouldn't wanna touch one in the wet.

Actually thats rubbish, any excuse, any time.. I'd love to drive one.

Gus - could be anywhere from $35-50k for my car once I've finished tidying a couple of things (wide range coz it depends how fast I'd want to sell it) - being LHD lets it down but its got a lot of good bits (ie rare and/or expensive) and its an early (pre-impact bumper) car. Would be worth heaps in the UK. Would cost about $70k to replicate it as it sits (also has upgraded suspension, refurbed brakes, etc etc). Price really is tricky - you never see them for sale... but rare and valuable aren't the same.

They're really simple cars, so very easy to work on. They're actuallu pretty reliable (with noteable and well documented exceptions) - it's common for the 77-83 911SCs to still be going strong at 200,000km after being thrashed their whole life, as long as they're maintained.

Oil change is a shock though - 10+ litres and a $40-50 oil filter...

Edited by CamB

Some of the early 911s did have lead in the bumpers, basic fix towards what has become today the 911 GT3 RS. Almost all of the Porsche family are great, we've had a 944 (standard) which is no quicker really than a good 325i, but is a far better (IMO) driving experience and certainly much quicker, across a winding road. Driven various different 911s, 928s and 944 Turbos and S2s. They're all great. It's like the Honda/BMW thread, sort of pointless. There are great cars available both ways. Just your opinion, which is great, beacuase you're never wrong.

Edited by Palazzo

Interesting thoughts you two

From what I remember lead weights were to help reduce bobbing in the front due to lack of weight..cant imagine they have much grip up front with nothing over it! must have some serious traction however (maybe not with Cam's 205s and 270hp however!)

Cam - they seem to hold their values really well! LHD is considered somewhat more purist is it not? no Powersteering? do you have a list of what you have done to it? Where are you based? I am currently in the UK but if you still have it when I get back to NZ (Date not fixed) I would love to come for a ride so feel what they are like.

Great input all of you...glad to see not everyone is one-eyed about BMWs!

Great input all of you...glad to see not everyone is one-eyed about BMWs!

Whats a Porsche?

The lead was in the bumpers of the earliest cars - the short wheel base ones which were '65-'68. When they lengthened the wheelbase for '69 they took the weight out of the FRONT bumper. It was a rangi-ass way of changing the weight distribution.

In later years as the power increased and the weight of the engine increased they moved to wider wheels at the back. They're not as bad/dangerous to drive as people make out - basic rule is to not lift off, but that's not really any different to some FWD cars.

Gus - when you come back contact me (in Auckland). Chances are I won't have sold it (I've had it 7 years). UPGRADES include:

- 911SC 3 litre crank/rods with 10.5:1 98mm pistons/cylinders for 3.2 litres (the "short stroke" 3.2)

- Cams are the same as the early 911S/911RS

- twin spark plugs per cylinder so it can run on pump fuel

- individual throttle bodies

- EFI with 944 turbo injectors, old MOTEC controlling it - 245hp at the hubs

- stainless steel headers/heat exhangers (the fan blows air through a box around the headers to provide hot air to the cabin)

- external oil cooler

- Porsche 915 gearbox, no LSD

- Carrera ('80s) alloy rear trailing arms (lighter), alloy 911S brakes. Not power assisted

- upgraded sway bars and 21mm/27mm torsion bars (torsion bars not springs)

- Refinished 16" wheels to replaced 15" wheels (so I could run 50 profile tyres) - refinished to look like old wheels

- no power steering - they don't need it and the steering is pretty light

- replica '70s race seats - brand new and I'm not telling anyone what I paid

Ummm, the front A-arms, chassis, alternator, fan and engine oil cooler are from the original car. Everything else is upgraded.

The engine could run RSR cams (the pistons have the appropriate cut-outs to allow those cams), which would rev to closer to 8,000 and make over 300hp. That's a full race engine.

Body is ... ok. It is black over some nasty colour over original slate grey (like Steve McQueen in Le Mans). It needs a tidy.

Edited by CamB

Whats a Porsche?

Those curvy looking things that walk the 325 but are fun to chase in the M3

My 60yr old mum owns a '73 Carrera RS Replica!! Best steering on any car ive ever driven. Love them

I've had 8 of them - does that count as being into them?

I haven't read the above in detail and I haven't tried running one in NZ, but seriously $6.5k for a 944T head gasket is just mad. I bought a race prepped engine complete for mine in December for less than that!

Never been a big fan of them. Just not keen on the look of a Porsche. I might enjoy driving one (never have) but I just dont like the design. More a Ferrari or Lambo person. My Dads the same. He has driven all the current models through the Porsche driving weekend in Aussie. His favourite for handling being the Caymen and top Carrera.

I'm sure a 318iS Turbo, My racecar, and e30 m3 should keep you satisfied gus.

PLaying NFS Porsche unlimited is just wrong.... but I still am. hah

I'm sure a 318iS Turbo, My racecar, and e30 m3 should keep you satisfied gus.

PLaying NFS Porsche unlimited is just wrong.... but I still am. hah

Speaking of your race car Andrew, will it be ready for September, this year? :rolleyes:

I owned a 1998 Boxster 2.7L, looked fantastic and drove well (and turned heads) but its no "real" porsche, 0-100kph in about 6 secs is nothing really..... and to be honest sounds like a non turbo scooby with a big muffler! lol

The E36 M3 shits all over it in every way for me personally.....