Sign in to follow this  
325_driver

e30 Springs

am i likely to run into any danger with springs flying at me when i have every thing unbolted ?

how much compression are they under?

or nothing to worry about?

have heard stories

so thought i would check

am i likely to run into any danger with springs flying at me when i have every thing unbolted ?

how much compression are they under?

or nothing to worry about?

have heard stories

so thought i would check

You'll be fine with the rear. The fronts, you'll need a spring compressor to do them once you've got the struts out.

Or just do it the crazy way. Get a blanket to catch the flying parts. Then undo the nut.

You will still need the compressors if you want to put the standard springs back in though.

Watched Will do it with a arattle gun - just put one end of the strut against a wall and went for it, but spring compressors only add 5 mins to each strut.

you didn't read it here but...

can you undo the top nut while the car is still on the ground, as you jack it up the pressure is slowly taken off. then just support it properly and take everything out as you would normally?

Edited by Mike

^^^ you'd want to make sure the strut is off the tie rod and control arm ball joints first.

But if you just do it the normal it probably wont take any longer. Hunt around, someone you know will probably have some spring compressors.

On sale at the moment, Quite quick if you chuck an air rattle gun on them carefully. :D

^^^ you'd want to make sure the strut is off the tie rod and control arm ball joints first.

But if you just do it the normal it probably wont take any longer. Hunt around, someone you know will probably have some spring compressors.

true, and chances are you'll need compressors to put the springs back in

Watched Will do it with a arattle gun - just put one end of the strut against a wall and went for it, but spring compressors only add 5 mins to each strut.

Me too - have always just removed with rattle gun (E30's anyway) but obviously require spring compressors to refit

Me too - have always just removed with rattle gun (E30's anyway) but obviously require spring compressors to refit

sounds like you guys have had some interesting experiences with springs. . . . .

i think i might just take all the struts out, and take it to a work shop im aloud to use

cheers for the heads up

knowing me id do damage,

been good at that today