Sign in to follow this  
Apex

Sway Bars (E30)

After the weekend drive I have decided my wagon has a bit too much under steer and would like to try and neutralise it. If it’s anything like my old Altezza some thicker sway bars should sort it out.

I believe the M325i runs thicker sway bars from factory? Should I try and get some of these or should I go after market?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Also I have recently fitted new shocks but don’t feel they are very good, what’s a good brand to look at without spending stupid money, I have KYB and find them a bit floaty.

to reduce under steer you would want a thicker sway bar in the rear, the standard 20mm front one I found was ok.

For shocks - I had KYB's and thought the same thing about them although they did a pretty good job they weren't perfect. Without spending heaps Koni is probably your best bet or even bilstiens aren't much more expensive.

Ok, was struggling to keep Shelly’s line in my ploughing wagon! Maybe it’s a wagon thing.

The M325i parts are interchangeable though right? I will have to do some research into what diameter the M325i run at the back.

i think with your car being a wagon you might already have a thicker rear bar, have a measure before you go and buy anything just to be sure.

Hit up Keith (handle: SUSPENSION) for your shocks he knows lots, isn't afraid of chatting for ages on the phone and you get the bimmersport discount.

Thanks mate, Im a Keith too, got a couple of sets of springs off him and product knowledge was amazing!

Doesn’t heart to ask around before chatting to him though! Thanks guys..

Don’t suppose anyone knows the factory sway bar diameters for the E30 (non M).

It looks like Whitline (who I have purchased a few products from before) have a few options. I am ordering a some bars and bushes for my brother as well as the Astra so would like to potently tag on.

If anyone else is keen have a look at their website and I’ll get some prices from the NZ distributer.

http://www.whiteline.com.au/

Sway Bar Sizes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stock:

318i(m10): Front: 18mm Rear: none

318is(m42): Front: 20mm Rear: 12mm

318ic(m42): Front: 21mm Rear: 12mm

325e(pre 9/86): Front: 18.5mm Rear: 12mm

325e(9/86): Front: 20mm Rear: 12mm

325i(m20): Front: 20mm Rear: 12mm

325is(m20): Front: 20mm Rear: 12mm

325ic(m20): Front: 21mm Rear: 12mm

325ix(M20): Front: 17mm Rear: 14.5mm

325ix Touring(M20): Front: 18mm Rear: 14.5mm

M3(s14): Front: 19mm Rear: 14.5mm

Aftermarket:

AC Schnitzer: Front: 20mm Rear: 16mm

Eibach: Front: 20mm Rear: 16mm

Suspension Techniques: Front: 22mm Rear: 19mm

Ireland Engineering (adjustable): Front: 25mm Rear: 22mm

H&R (adjustable): Front: 22mm Rear: 18mm

Racing Dynamics Early Style (adjustable): Front: 22mm Rear: 16mm

Racing Dynamics Late Style (adjustable): Front: 22mm Rear: 19mm

M-Technik: Front: 20mm Rear: 14.5mm

Found that on www.r3vlimited.com

Just ordered me a set of sway bars from Ireland engineering 22mm Front & 19mm Rear along with some bushes. Should be a good improvement, my rear end is loose as after that meet :P.

Bilstein HD's are fairly cheap also

Edited by Eagle

You`ll find that your touring has 20mm front (same as M Technic) and 13.5mm rear. 325`s have 14.5 rears (same as M Technic).

What I did to my 325 touring was the combo of a convertible front swaybar - 21mm

325/Mtechnic rear swaybar - 14.5mm

Bilsteins all around with HR front springs and E36 6cylinder M Tech rear springs.

Result. Hugs the road like my M sport coupes.

post-1470-1209371419_thumb.jpg

Definatley check the bushes, particularly anything around the swaybars or on the swaybars as it doesn't matter how good the swaybar or diameter if the bushes are worn the effect of the swaybar can effectivley become nullenvoid, like any bush which is under any load in the suspension of any car, the rear springs in Graham's car are slightly stiffer than M-tech and the fronts are also stronger than standard E30, and as Graham like to drive his cars with some enthusiasm :) definatley an uprated shock and swaybars will also make a good difference, also the diameter of different manufacturers swaybars can sometimes give you a similar effect to each other even if there is a 2mm-4mm difference in diameter as it depends on the tensile strength of the steel which the individual manufacturer uses as we'll as the design of each individual swaybar as sometimes the shape or curve of the bends from different companies can also make a difference very similar to how a spring which may look similar to another spring but has a slighlty different design can be stronger or higher by one angle being changed slightly, also whether the swaybar is made using different manufacturing processes, or also in the case of H&R and Eibach and some other comapnies they are usually hollow which makes them lighter but the material they use is stronger hence the extra expense, I think in the case of whiteline (probably one of the best selling swaybars in NZ, Very we'll priced product), but I believe there bars are solid steel so a bit heavier.

Too true, I am upgrading the bushes at the same time as the sway bar. Cuts the labour charge down that way!

Will see what they can do, Im getting a tone of Urethane bushes and a couple of swaybars for my brothers HSV and was just gunna tag on to his order.

I need new Urethane bushes in the rear of mine to