Sign in to follow this  
OLLIE

Support the Auckland Harbour Bridge Walk/Cycle way

Posted Image

If you’ve always wanted to ride your bike, walk or run across the Auckland Harbour Bridge, right now is the perfect time to make it happen. The outer lanes of the bridge (the “clipons”) are about to get a major upgrade, making it the perfect time to add cycle and walking lanes too. If we miss this opportunity, we might never get another chance to get across.

So visit getacross.org.nz, and have your say!

I think it would be a great addition to the bridge!

Well Ollie. I've never felt the need to do any of those. But it'd be nice to have the option.

Actually, I have done, the bridge climb. That was fun.

I have no inclination to either walk or cycle across the bridge, but I think it is a bloody good idea. I'm amazed it hasn't been done earlier.

The Golden Gate in SF has a walking/cycle lane, and it is pretty popular.

Cheers

Gtant

I support it in theory, but it will ruin the view on one side of the bridge. The artistic photographs are not clear as to which side it is proposed as it is shown varyingly on both sides depending on the photo.

OK I re-read it - they want one on each side, so there goes the view from the bridge unless you are walking/cycling. It's about the only thing I enjoy about driving in Auckland. Why not suspend it from the bridge deck?

Edited by bravo

Cool but a bit late.The number of times Ive wanted to walk the bridge after a hard night on the town.

As long as it is fully caged from idiots being able to jump off or throw things onto the lanes.

You should all realize what sort of people this will attract at night time.

Just worried about the surrounding roads that would support the cyclists accessing the walkways. I hate them with a passion. As riding your bike on Auckland roads alongside Auckland drivers is not the smartest hobby in the world. I have seen two severely injured cyclists in the last few months who thought it was a great idea to risk their lives on main highways.