Sign in to follow this  
JiB

Speakers for a race car?

I'm after some speakers that would fit in the front factory locations in an E30 coupe.

...Unfortunately, the car has no carpet, interior or much sound deadening left, and there's clanking, creaking, and HUGE amounts of road noise. Yes these are to go in the race car to keep me sane on the way down to Taupo/Manfeild.

Have tried using some headphones and an iPod, but I find the headphones extremely disconcerting. Also I may have a passenger that would probably like to keep sane as well.

Are there any recommendations? I need em loud and cheap. I'm hoping to hear them through some ear plugs as I figure ear plugs (sound deadening) + some music = tricks me into thinking I'm in a comfortable car.

I don't want components because they are expensive, and I don't want to have to use speaker pods...impossible? Maybe :(

....Or should I just take a harden up pill?

I just run standard front and back in mine, with a headunit with front audio in for my mp3 player, works fine.

I was impressed with the fusion powerplant series, I've chucked a set in the old mans truck and they go really well for a cheapish set of speakers. Quite large magnets though so you might be pushing it squeezing them into stock e30 locations, that said I squeezed 6.5" in there so you should be ok with 5.25" which is stock size.

I was impressed with the fusion powerplant series, I've chucked a set in the old mans truck and they go really well for a cheapish set of speakers. Quite large magnets though so you might be pushing it squeezing them into stock e30 locations, that said I squeezed 6.5" in there so you should be ok with 5.25" which is stock size.

I had 5.25 Fusion Powerplants in kick panels and rears until recently and went pretty well, would recommend them but don't expect much treble/bass from them. Also just chucking some foam or something in the kick panel holes and some cardboard or similar material around the edges helps stop the rattle

whilst on this topic does anyone know where to get a short (not very deep) head unit from? my roll bar is in the way!

whilst on this topic does anyone know where to get a short (not very deep) head unit from? my roll bar is in the way!

How deep are we talking from memory a single din(standard) headunit is about 13.5cm deep. plus power and auxillerys etc. i dunno how short you can go cause then a cd wouldn't fit in. Could you just let it stick out a bit or would that be a pain?

Have you thought about putting your guages where the radio goes & vice versa Ollie ???

I'm just going off memory here

Paddy's is the same, it just sticks out a bit.

Why not buy one of those speaker boxes that take two 6x9's, then buy some cheap and loud 6x9's and mount your headunit to the box and run wiring to convenient location, then its loud, and easy as unplugging the rear headunit connector to remove for racing.

Bravo's idea is a good one - unplug, unmount and remove them at the track. You better bolt it down securely though! If you can find a cheap enough amp you could use that mounted to the box, plus an Ipod.

Or you could use the 4" Sonys in your parts car. You've probably forgotten about those.

Or, you could harden up, LOL. Your car is quiet (he's got a standard exhaust). I use earplugs and noise cancelling headphones.

Edited by CamB

real race cars don't have radios!!!

best bet. get yourself some of those ear muffs with the radios in them. that way you may even look like a rally driver on a tuoring stage.

1) My car is too slow and boat-like to be a real race car.

2) I'm too much of a wuss to harden up :P

So, on to speakers, I really like bravo's idea.

So I had a look at a couple of 6x9 boxes on Trademe, but I've got fixed back race seats and the harnesses take pretty much all the room in the back. So I don't think that would fit as the small ones may interfere with the harnesses and I'm not keen on that....at all. Access to the rear seat is extremely difficult because of aforementioned seats and harnesses, so looks like I'll have to stick with factory locations.

A friend has some cheap Kappa 5.25" components that will be coming up for sale at the end of next month, so that's another option. But I think I may be over doing it with those...it is a (wannabe) race car after all! headunit + amp + crossovers + components = too much weight and money. Not to mention it'd be a waste in a car that's so noisey.

Best option, is to get some speakers to fill factory locations and see how that goes methinks. Perhaps two individual 6x9 boxes if I'm really keen. The back seat's bottom-cushion-hooks are just waiting to be used as anchorages :D

Edited by JiB

I have a set of 6x9 boxes that look like the ones in the picture but un carpeted and not being used

post-2334-1210156935_thumb.jpg

I have a set of 6x9 boxes that look like the ones in the picture but un carpeted and not being used

I see you're all the way in chch though.

I was just going to see how the factory speaker locations worked first, but PM me what you want for them inc shipping.

Cheers.

Have a look at parallel imported. They have dozens of sets of 2-way 5.25 and 6" speakers for between $50-100 that won't require amping. Not as loud as boxed 6x9's but will fit in stock location.

Don't use 6x9 boxes, they're far too small for the speakers.

Dynamat your car! One bulk pack won't make jack-all weight difference, and will cut out so much noise.

If you give details about where the road-noise comes in I can help with what deadening to use and where. It won't add much weight at all..

Are you planning on adding a sub? Splits? Budget? You might even be happy with a cheap pair of coax's and a simple HU. Just shop around first and don't buy anything from repco or supercheap without research..

Oh, and don't get rears.

Budget = as little as I possibly can. I'm just going to find a second hand HU and use the speakers in factory location. I was just worried the speakers wouldn't hold up to high volume abuse for long/and or I won't be able to hear them with earplugs in.

I should clarify that the road noise does not bother me as I will be using earplugs. It is a race car, the less things in the better/less things to go wrong. There are also better ways to spend money on a racecar than sound gear and insulation.

The lack of sound insulation is probably more important for me as a means of hearing more accurately what's going on than a weight issue.

Oh, and don't get rears.

I can't fit anything larger than 5.25" in front without modification, and I sure as heck ain't getting a sub for a race car, so why not supplement what I have with some rears on the back bench? Individual 6x9 boxes are small, easy to take out and all that I'd be able to fit in the car. especially when lugging a whole of gear around.

*Yes I know majority of 6x9's are designed to work off free air but this is no SPL car.

Admittedly in a road car a nice front stage is all you really need. But even then it is not as full as a system with rear support in my limited experience. But as a matter of cost/effectiveness I definitely agree that rears is a case of diminishing returns.

6x9's boxed have **** bass response, your money would be better spent on a HU and fronts then. With all your road noise, the closer they are to you the better.

Sound insulation isn't good enough to block out all road noise from a car, especially 3kg of it. But if you're using ear plugs..

I'd even go for some jaycar splits($180RRP, although they've been known to go for far lower than that), and attach tweeters to your dash with a SQ winning combination of bluetack. The tweeters will be closer to your ears, allowing you to hear something..

I'd spend the money on getting a half decent HU, as that's what'll be powering your speakers and a bad one won't allow you to hear much at high speeds. Entry level pioneer and alpine HUs would be fine, you should be able to pick up one for under 100 off trademe. Or wait till a sale is on at repco and pick up a cheapo pioneer from there (I got a decent one for under 100 I think). Stay away from cheap and unknown brands, you'll only end up losing money on music you can't hear.

I picked up rockford fosgate splits for under 100, and they're better than most splits with a RRP of under 400. Just shop around, or go for jaycar.

Edit - I'd go for fronts first, but if it's not loud enough for you then chuck in some rears as you'll have another 2 channels to use.

Edited by Five Star