Sign in to follow this  
316compact

engine noise after air filter changed

Just got a pod filter on my 316 compact, I could feel the car has abit more power when I step on it, but don't know why when the engine rev up to around 2500-3000 rpm, the engine sounds louder and a bit rough :bounce: , car is reasonablely new, any one got any idea to fix this or what caused this?

so you just changed air filter and all of a sudden the car starts running a little rough....

maybe its the air filter then?

FLAT K AND N. that be 2 words and 2 letters :mosh:

Guest Andrew

FLAT K AND N. that be 2 words and 2 letters :mosh:

He's right - anything else just doesn't help.

To be honest spending any coin on performance isn't really worth it. Just make it look cool.

well another funny thing is the car sounds perfectly fine when the engine is cold, but as soon as the engine starts to warm up, it starts to make the noise... I mean the engine is not running rough or anything, it just sound louder :rambo: and as soon as it got over around 3500 rpm it feel and sounds great.

Hmmm, sounds like you need to decide on whether you like the noise for the performance, it's a gimme B)

Welcome to the site anyway

for more performance gains put a heat shield round the filter...so the heat of the 316 engine wont be absorbed by the airfilter.

;)

wait a minute 316 compact..i thought 18 was the smallest of the compacts...hmm

actually over the week end I bought a heat sheild from super cheap auto for $30... not cheap but cos its black so it looks pretty good in the engine... well even if I felt any difference, it could be just all in my mind :mosh: . That heat sheild only covers half of the filter, I might get another one just to wrap the whole thing up :ph34r: and yes it is a 316 model, but its has a 1.8 engine

the guys are right - pod filters interfer with your air-flow meter - you are better off getting a k&n panel filter that goes into your factory airbox. is your compact an e36 or e46?

Guest Andrew

actually over the week end I bought a heat sheild from super cheap auto for $30... not cheap but cos its black so it looks pretty good in the engine... well even if I felt any difference, it could be just all in my mind :mosh: . That heat sheild only covers half of the filter, I might get another one just to wrap the whole thing up :ph34r: and yes it is a 316 model, but its has a 1.8 engine

great - a black heat sheild - I hope its made of plastic.

great - a black heat sheild - I hope its made of plastic.

yeah that does sound a bit funny now you mention it...

Mind my igornance, but what's the gains like going from stock to K&N filter and how much for one? where from? etc...

Mind my igornance, but what's the gains like going from stock to K&N filter and how much for one? where from? etc...

you dont get much in the way of power gains, basically makes a better noise whilst accelerating... um as for buying one, you can get em at most "performance enhancing" shops - like mag n turbo, magwarehouse etc... but places like repco and supercheap autos sell them to. i think prices start at about $40 and work up from there....

you dont get much in the way of power gains, basically makes a better noise whilst accelerating... um as for buying one, you can get em at most "performance enhancing" shops - like mag n turbo, magwarehouse etc... but places like repco and supercheap autos sell them to. i think prices start at about $40 and work up from there....

if not done right, (or some cases even if done right) you will lose HP : /

not cool.

there is no way you will be able to buy a k&n filter at $40 retail, the k&n panel filter for the e30 325i is $150 retail and for a pod filter is another $40 odd on top, you can buy pod filters for $40 but they are more than likely more restictive then the standard paper filter

the heat shield is made of some kind of metal... don't know if its steel or whatever, if you goto supercheap auto they sell them right next to the pod filter section. I don't think there is a K&N panel filter for that e46 compact, cos after the mechanic took the airbox out, I just realised that the original filter is a little round one... kind of look like the ones you can find in an old cab. engine, only alot smaller. I suppose when some people do little mod. on their cars, its more for the personal enjoyment more than performance, to be honest just by changing filters and mufflers how much more horses(or horse) you would gain? :rolleyes:

to be honest just by changing filters and mufflers how much more horses(or horse) you would gain? :rolleyes:

firstly heat sheilds need to keep the heat out, steel heats up quick so not the go mostly..

secondly the whole point to changing the filter is to allow better airflow, exhaust wise is where you can make MASSIVE gains comparative to the cost, a well tuned header and full exhaust will yeild more than a couple of kw at the wheels for ya. :mosh:

316Compact, is your's an E46 ? what year is it . ? do you have some pictures of it ?? so what have done to your car at the moment .. ? and what does the exhaust sound like .. ?

Guest Andrew

the heat shield is made of some kind of metal... don't know if its steel or whatever, if you goto supercheap auto they sell them right next to the pod filter section. I don't think there is a K&N panel filter for that e46 compact, cos after the mechanic took the airbox out, I just realised that the original filter is a little round one... kind of look like the ones you can find in an old cab. engine, only alot smaller. I suppose when some people do little mod. on their cars, its more for the personal enjoyment more than performance, to be honest just by changing filters and mufflers how much more horses(or horse) you would gain? :rolleyes:

dude a black metal heatshield - that will soak up that heat nnicceee and good - I bet the other side of it is silver heh

there is no way you will be able to buy a k&n filter at $40 retail, the k&n panel filter for the e30 325i is $150 retail and for a pod filter is another $40 odd on top, you can buy pod filters for $40 but they are more than likely more restictive then the standard paper filter

i didnt specify K&N, I stated repco and supercheap auto - im not sure these places sell things of that quality... i wouldnt buy a pod filter for $40 - i would pay the extra and get somthing quality like K&N or Apexi or somthing similar....

I just check out my intake duct for my car today .. and boy does it SUCK :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: ! hah ..

anyone got any ideas how to improve it ?

Guest Andrew

I just check out my intake duct for my car today .. and boy does it SUCK :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: ! hah ..

anyone got any ideas how to improve it ?

pics - the m20 one is quite well designed.. I can't imagine they took a few steps back 20 years down the line!