Sign in to follow this  
simke

Best roads for driving

south islands win over all roads. Hokitika --> Chch is nice and cruisy. A lot of rally tracks made by the locals round greymouth and cobden too. Speedway down there rocks also!

I can't wait to drive some south island roads!

Thats 200kph + country down there....best I did was 245kph on the Duke

opua and heads south to Dargaville.

Check your map - maybe you are thinking Opononi to Darga-hole?

Have to add my vote to Mangamuka's, but also (once they've resealed it again) Mangakahia Road from Kaikohe, then accross twin bridges to Dargaville. Also Tutukaka to Hikurangi in Whangarei.

Blenheim to kaikoura or vica versa , wicked road early in the morning, in m3.

watch for seals though..

Tairua to Whitianga - Coromandel roads are lots of fun.

Check your map - maybe you are thinking Opononi to Darga-hole?

Also Tutukaka to Hikurangi in Whangarei.

+1

south island roads are all so smooth and well made with camber and apart from sh1 there all pretty quiet too.

with competitive shooting i do now i get to spend a bit of time on them with the 540, get to do chch to gore which is the centeral otago road which would be the best in the country if there were no speed limits, get to do chch to blenheim twice a year so get to drive the kaikoura highway, (depending on traffic is outstanding) and get to do my favourite road from chch to westport which has hamner to lewis pass with lots of fast corners, lewis pass to reefton tight and smooth, then reefton to westport which i think has stunning scenery along the buller gorge.

my only problem is trying not to do 150 all the time cause that still feels slow on them. probly not the worst problem to have :D

+5

also have to agree about the roads in the sth island,perfect.even if it was done in my hiace.

has anyone done SH36 rotorua to tauranga? its all sealed now.had an awesome drive through there.

SH 3 hamilton to new plymouth,some roadworks though

Yeah SH3 is very good however i am the one putting the road works out down there (sorry guys) but i do recommend you drive SH39 from Ngaruawahia all the way to Pirongia then turn right towards Kawhia..... now that road is soooo quiet and hairpins straights..it has it all and there is a great fish and chip shop, alot of bikers use this for a blast down from Auckland...maybe this could be a new sunday run for the bimmersport guys????