Sign in to follow this  
m_power

How do you bring home the bacon?

Are you talking about the old ARC/ Vodafone reclad at the motorway ramp top of Hobson? My company did the install on that, about 12 to 15 years ago I guess. Did it out of swinging stages.

Yip, thats the one.

You obviously know Stu!

Small world I guess.

Is Stu still in the company? That was the last time I was "employed". I remember your(?) conditions for your employees were quite generous. Time and a half ect!

Also remember doing some rather silly things on the stages.

Yeah, Stu and I were partners, we split about 8 yrs ago. We did things in those days that you wouldn't even think of today. :wacko:

Im a Civil engineer with Transfield Services.......in my last week so the company UTE Toyota `06, 3.0 Hilux D4D SR5 has to go back.......

Just about to start with a goverment agency dont really want to say who as you will all hate me!!!! LOL but no company car..... i will either use Shanksy's pony or the aqua taxi from Northcote point!!! :rolleyes:

Edited by Heresharry

How do you bring home the bacon?

In other words. What do you do for a living?

Do you have a company car? If so what is it?

I work for John Andrew Ford. Working at West Auckland Branch mostly but travel around the yards. I manage the website for them. My company car at the moment is a manual Falcon XR8 Boss 290.

im a sales manager for a tyre importer and sometimes retail manager for our tyre shop in mt eden village( depends on wheather our staff show up lol) most days i drive a 05 XR6 falcon ute (with 18'' just because the tyre industry is a wank industry and reps need to look cool blah blah)the owner is tring to upgrand me to a 07 SV6 commodore but ive used it a few times and to be honest id rather walk.not being a dick but the old falcon is a million times better to drive.oh yeah i have my little e30 to drive when i want to get crazy with the power ,Go 318 Go you good thing.lol

Edited by eurobandit

I'm studying architecture, and use the E30 to get to uni for that. I'm also something of a professional housesitter and so far 'added extras' have included an Alfa Romeo GTV 3.2, a Range Rover Vogue, and a Mini Cooper S. Oh and a Honda Civic LXi.

I work as a unit pricing consultant for a large financial services company

Confused? I'll explain.

I design financial services operations (back office as its called). Nearly all personal savings and retirement schemes (including kiwisaver) generally use unitised funds.

It's my job to ensure that you get the right value for your savings and get it back promptly when you need it. Mainly involves designing operational processes and choosing, plus implementing, the right software applications.

No company car for me - happy with my beemer so would turn down one anyway and take the money.

Year 13/Form 7 student at Howick College. Only thing I know I want to do is go to Uni but don't know what to study, its interesting hearing your guys careers.

The odd part-time job here and there to pay for hobbies.

Year 13/Form 7 student at Howick College. Only thing I know I want to do is go to Uni but don't know what to study, its interesting hearing your guys careers.

Choose wisely grasshopper or you could end up as bitter and twisted as the rest of us! :P

Seriously though, if you want some assistance pointing in the right direction try http://www.bartholomewconsulting.co.nz/wha...y-profile.shtml . Would be worth the time and money to get going in the right direction if you aren't sure.

End rant.

I got a part-time job a the beginning of 7th form and all i knew then was that working retail was sh*t so i went to uni. SO much better than HS but has its downer moments.

Get an allowance if you can they rock.

an electritian in chch currently building switchboards.

no company car, have to drive my diesel hilux to work, dont think in could afford $100 a week to drive the 540

Seriously though, if you want some assistance pointing in the right direction try http://www.bartholomewconsulting.co.nz/wha...y-profile.shtml . Would be worth the time and money to get going in the right direction if you aren't sure.

End rant.

Thanks for that, might have to give it a go.

Thanks for that, might have to give it a go.

There's heaps of online "career helpers" most are rubbish but some are good. We used to always use them at HS fpr fun with often hilarious results. Give a few a try and you'll be surprised at some of the results.

Its sad to say this but I really hated school a third through 6th form so I went to the careers office picked up a uni guide of courses randomly selected a page and picked a course, which ended up being AUT Graphic and Visual Design. To my luck the course was to start mid year. I managed to get in due to my 92% school c grade (I was 16 and most other uni students in my class was 25+, I got heaps of sh*t when I got good marks and they didn't). Anywho now I direct my own company at age 23. I STILL HATE SCHOOL.

So maybe just take a risk, as long as your partly interested in the subject it might just pan out good.

I was just glad to get the hell out of school!

Guest Simon*

Gosh here goes

I would advise, and you are welcome to ignore it if you wish ;), that people don't just go to uni for the sake of it.

If anyone's itching to get out of school and says "I want to go to uni" I'd say "and do what?" It's far from free anymore and can easily f**k up the first half of your working life with debt just because you wanted the lifestyle.

Unless you have a job/career in mind or are definite about a course of study I'd suggest people wait. Take the next year at least to work, or if you're lucky enough, travel.

A little life experience goes a long way to helping you decide what you'd like to do for a job. Also, if you want a job quickly in a practical field that requires a qualification and exposure to an industry, do a polytech or AUT type course and crack it out quickly - Uni can often be plodding and theoretical and you'll end up paying to do subjects you don't need or even want, just to pad out the requirements for your degree.

I have a degree, and I did it later on which was really good for me - especially because I appreciated the cost more and was careful about the money side of things - and I worked while I studied fulltime, because I had to.

I've also had a student loan from previous training I did when I was younger, and it was just too easy to dip into and not worry about it. Takes a long time to pay off, and it's a bitch if you want to spend on other things.

I'm not suggesting everyone needs to wait before they jump into tertiary ed, but lots more people should. Heaps of my mates wanted to go to uni just because they thought it would be cool - some of them ended up studying bullshit subjects and then later on when they wanted jobs had to pay for more training to get the appropriate quals.

So choose wisely grasshoppers, there's lots of money tied up in this game and universities are big business ready to eat you without a second thought. :)

So choose wisely grasshoppers, there's lots of money tied up in this game and universities are big business ready to eat you without a second thought. :)

Si,

Are you a moderator or THE ORACLE ??????????

You are wise beyond your years, but could one argue that your wiseness is directly related to having taken the time to expand your mind and your learning by going to a higher education facility ( This does not include Showgirls or Firecats ).

The dilema deepens grasshopper..............

Guest Simon*

Si,

Are you a moderator or THE ORACLE ??????????

You are wise beyond your years, but could one argue that your wiseness is directly related to having taken the time to expand your mind and your learning by going to a higher education facility ( This does not include Showgirls or Firecats ).

Never learned much there ;) Especially with the no touching rule

The Oracle would make a great name for a strip club though, or a ... ahem .... gentlemen's club

Anyway! Listen to me "Old School" (probably a spy planted by the education system anyway - although not much imagination on the username ;) ) where I come from "wiseness" is more often known as "wisdom" and university didn't make me smart - the drugs and older women did!

What are you and C doing tonight by the way? Thought I might pop round and say hello for a wee bit

Did you do a masters in essay writing :lol:

Edited by Simon*

Guest Simon*

Did you do a masters in essay writing :lol:

Yeah bugger me it looks like it! :D

Always preferred english to maths - maybe that's why I'm lousy with money!

Did you stay long last night?

Gosh here goes

I would advise, and you are welcome to ignore it if you wish ;) , that people don't just go to uni for the sake of it.

If anyone's itching to get out of school and says "I want to go to uni" I'd say "and do what?" It's far from free anymore and can easily f**k up the first half of your working life with debt just because you wanted the lifestyle.

Unless you have a job/career in mind or are definite about a course of study I'd suggest people wait. Take the next year at least to work, or if you're lucky enough, travel.

A little life experience goes a long way to helping you decide what you'd like to do for a job. Also, if you want a job quickly in a practical field that requires a qualification and exposure to an industry, do a polytech or AUT type course and crack it out quickly - Uni can often be plodding and theoretical and you'll end up paying to do subjects you don't need or even want, just to pad out the requirements for your degree.

I have a degree, and I did it later on which was really good for me - especially because I appreciated the cost more and was careful about the money side of things - and I worked while I studied fulltime, because I had to.

I've also had a student loan from previous training I did when I was younger, and it was just too easy to dip into and not worry about it. Takes a long time to pay off, and it's a bitch if you want to spend on other things.

I'm not suggesting everyone needs to wait before they jump into tertiary ed, but lots more people should. Heaps of my mates wanted to go to uni just because they thought it would be cool - some of them ended up studying bullshit subjects and then later on when they wanted jobs had to pay for more training to get the appropriate quals.

Too true Simon*. I did an engineering degree straight out of school, but have not used much of what I studied. I guess the moral is that a degree by itself won't open any doors for you. But it might stop a few being closed in your face.

Still, uni can be one hell of a good time! :D Just be smart and don't end up paying for that 3-4 years of fun for the next 25. No reason to rush into work though - it will always be there.

Yeah bugger me it looks like it! :D

Always preferred english to maths - maybe that's why I'm lousy with money!

Did you stay long last night?

Im long every night

Guest Simon*

Im long every night

Touche! Nicely done Long Doug - lover of Air Supply

Although long in the company of blokes is a bit concerning ;)

Settle kids we'll run out of gay material before we even get to taupo :lol:

Guest Simon*

I was asking because I'd already gone :)

He was sitting between two blokes at the bar when I left